Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By willflop
To spin it negatively, being removed as a defendant is not the same as being shown innocent.

However, presumably, they both have money (which is what this is about), and Baylor doesn't really have a vested interest in protecting them (that I can think of), so why remove them? I know Briles filed a different case for defamation, not sure how that panned out. It's at least one step supporting LU's narrative on McCaw, agree or disagree.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote::popcorn :popcorn :flamingdevil
If this happens I will never doubt you again. Personally I hope it doesn't. Don't want to sell out that badly for wins.
I'll bit too. So you are fine with this guy never getting an opportunity to coach again? Just love how people can justify killing someone's career for something someone else did. Let's stop playing the sixth degree of separation game with crimes... Who on this board wouldn't have a job right now? Answer - No one.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:To spin it negatively, being removed as a defendant is not the same as being shown innocent.

However, presumably, they both have money (which is what this is about), and Baylor doesn't really have a vested interest in protecting them (that I can think of), so why remove them? I know Briles filed a different case for defamation, not sure how that panned out. It's at least one step supporting LU's narrative on McCaw, agree or disagree.
Or they found out that McCaw actually did what was required and doesn't carry enough value in the case. Agree - that this is the first step in starting to clear the guys name and proves LU did their homework on this hire.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:PH is looking wise this morning.

What the heck is happening in the world today!!??
If and when anything actually happens as far as Briles coming to Liberty, I will take my hat off to Purple for nailing his bold prediction. For now, this is a totally separate issue, which in fact contradicts the assertions he made from the moment IM was hired that he was negligent in how he handled things at Baylor. This is only one case of course.
By willflop
oldflame wrote:

If and when anything actually happens as far as Briles coming to Liberty, I will take my hat off to Purple for nailing his bold prediction. For now, this is a totally separate issue, which in fact contradicts the assertions he made from the moment IM was hired that he was negligent in how he handled things at Baylor. This is only one case of course.
Right, only one case, but maybe it sets a case law precedent. It's not just any one case, but one of the high profile ones that actually lead to a 20 year conviction of the perpetrator. If things were going to stick, I don't see another case being more sticky than this one.

Regardless of whether LU pursues Briles, the fact that he wanted to get the legal stuff out of the way, implies that his Lawyer thinks he's in the clear. Maybe the same applies to McCaw, we'll see.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
flamehunter wrote:
Purple Haize wrote::popcorn :popcorn :flamingdevil
If this happens I will never doubt you again. Personally I hope it doesn't. Don't want to sell out that badly for wins.
I'll bit too. So you are fine with this guy never getting an opportunity to coach again? Just love how people can justify killing someone's career for something someone else did. Let's stop playing the sixth degree of separation game with crimes... Who on this board wouldn't have a job right now? Answer - No one.
Didn't say he should never coach again. Said I don't want him to coach here. Whether he ever did anything illegal or not, he definitely ran a program that enabled the stuff that happened to happen. Has he acknowledged any responsibility for any of it? I haven't heard that he has. To me it is a character issue. That has to stand above the ability to win football games.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:

He was removed from the suit not found Not Guilty. I have seen nothing to change my mind that he acted negligently in how he handled the situation. Was it criminal? Was it worth the resources required to continue to pursue? Was it part of a larger deal? I dunno. It does not mean he's not a good hire to get LU to where LU wants to go
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I would add Purple, that even when a person is found "not guilty" in criminal court, that does not necessarily mean they are "innocent", only that guilt was not proven beyond a reasonable doubt. Occasionally you will hear where a defendant is actually declared "innocent" which is a statement by the court that the facts prove conclusively that they are. As far as whether IM was negligent, we have been over all that. Agree to disagree.
By willflop
Purple Haize wrote:
He was removed from the suit not found Not Guilty. I have seen nothing to change my mind that he acted negligently in how he handled the situation. Was it criminal? Was it worth the resources required to continue to pursue? Was it part of a larger deal? I dunno. It does not mean he's not a good hire to get LU to where LU wants to go
I agree, if you want to choose the negative spin over the positive. Conversely, you also haven't been given anything to suggest negligence, beyond the broad "it happened on his watch."

If we start from a position of neutrality, accepting that we don't have access to what really happened (which you admitted), we are left with evidential snippets, accusations, denials, and then this case as one of our only objective chances to prove something.

And, after it played out, we are left with the fact that he was sued for negligence in a high profile money case, the charges were dropped against him personally, and Baylor settled (guilty). The McCaw narrative is that he wasn't negligent, reported it to JA, but the "system of Baylor" was actively working against IX cases and didn't act in accordance. His narrative matches what happened in this case. Doesn't prove anything absolutely, but that ship has sailed.

All your what-ifs are valid, but favoring those above all else doesn't seem to have a rationale.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I agree, if you want to choose the negative spin over the positive. Conversely, you also haven't been given anything to suggest negligence, beyond the broad "it happened on his watch."

If we start from a position of neutrality, accepting that we don't have access to what really happened (which you admitted), we are left with evidential snippets, accusations, denials, and then this case as one of our only objective chances to prove something.

And, after it played out, we are left with the fact that he was sued for negligence in a high profile money case, the charges were dropped against him personally, and Baylor settled (guilty). The McCaw narrative is that he wasn't negligent, reported it to JA, but the "system of Baylor" was actively working against IX cases and didn't act in accordance. His narrative matches what happened in this case. Doesn't prove anything absolutely, but that ship has sailed.

All your what-ifs are valid, but favoring those above all else doesn't seem to have a rationale.

Actually I have laid it out in detail several times. But it's irrelevant. OLDFLAME and I agree that we agree to disagree despite how grammatically convoluted that sounds
By willflop
You and I had multiple pages of back and forth when this thread first started. I'm pretty sure everything you said could be boiled down to the "on his watch" argument. But, no need to rehash, I'm not trying to be an apologist either way, just calling it how I see it from my limited view point.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
willflop wrote:You and I had multiple pages of back and forth when this thread first started. I'm pretty sure everything you said could be boiled down to the "on his watch" argument. But, no need to rehash, I'm not trying to be an apologist either way, just calling it how I see it from my limited view point.
It could be boiled down to what a normal person would do. I can't see not following up on multiple reports of rape. But that's just me. Passing the buck on that as a defense doesn't sit well either
But hey LU is FBS and playing the Big Boys and on the cusp of the ACC!!!
By willflop
Purple Haize wrote:
willflop wrote:You and I had multiple pages of back and forth when this thread first started. I'm pretty sure everything you said could be boiled down to the "on his watch" argument. But, no need to rehash, I'm not trying to be an apologist either way, just calling it how I see it from my limited view point.
It could be boiled down to what a normal person would do. I can't see not following up on multiple reports of rape. But that's just me. Passing the buck on that as a defense doesn't sit well either
But hey LU is FBS and playing the Big Boys and on the cusp of the ACC!!!
He said he followed up. Glad we got that confusion cleared up.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Word on the street another ACC opponent will be announced shortly. The source is sketchy though. I also have no idea what ACC opponent it would be because this guy is very Sly like.
By Class of 20Something
Just from an Advocates POV. If a rape was reported to me, I'm not telling anyone in the athletic department anything unless the victim wants me to.

Any kind of sexual response council has a hierarchy that is completely independent of every other department in a university or organization. If Ian McCaw went and asked and tried to follow up they would have told him to go pound sand.

Baylor with obviously negligent in the structure of their Title IX Department however that it's completely outside of Athletics and should be. I am thankful that Liberty's Title IX department is robust and that what happened Baylor is unlikely to ever happen on our campus.

I have noticed that Ian McCaw has been more likely to post on Twitter and talk to press lately. I think that he can see that some of the vitriol towards him is dying down.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I am actually acquaintances with Briles' attorney who I know from my last church.

Count me among those who feels this is a big step into our AD being able to move on from his presence in Waco during that dark time.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I think it's safe to say he won't be put in a similar position at LU
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Word on the street another ACC opponent will be announced shortly. The source is sketchy though. I also have no idea what ACC opponent it would be because this guy is very Sly like.
Do you mean ballcoach? :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Neither one is a concern any time soon.
Yeah. UVA isn't going to name a new AD immediately
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]