The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I prefer College Softball to College baseball. But to say it's the most exciting sport.......
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have always thought that college baseball would be better in they had 7 inning games, instead of 9.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I was watching the Ole Miss vs. UCLA game on TV last night, which went into extra innings and the CA girls won. Crybaby

But the whole time I was thinking, LU has a much better stadium than UCLA's! :shock:
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LU has a better stadium than anyone, other than LSU and Baylor. (but I am not sure about those 2)

As for attendance at NISC, I saw that the Duke vs UVA ACC Baseball tournament game in Louisville drew 28 fans yesterday. Alabama and Florida softball had 1800 last night.

On my visits to SEC softball stadiums, (South Carolina, Georgia, Florida, Alabama and Auburn), I have noticed that most fans are 50+ in age. Very few students.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:Softball is a faster paced game. It involves more coaching strategy . The "short game" comes into play more in softball than in baseball. (for most teams). A softball game is 7 innings, whereas a baseball game is 9 innings.
Thanks. I still don't "Get it" but I can understand the appeal.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
While I'll always be a diehard baseball fan, I can say having watched more LU softball this year than ever before (albeit on the tube) I am coming around to believing it is an enjoyable sport to watch, for the reasons ballcoach has mentioned.
By CentFla
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote: Could you explain what makes softball any better than baseball? Genuinely curious. Baseball has faster pitching, longer basepaths(Seriously, a triple in baseball is longer than a homer in softball), deeper fences, longer throws, more innings, and the issue of rotating pitchers that softball doesn't appear to have.

It just seems to me that every aspect of baseball is more difficult than softball....
For all the reasons you just stated is what makes softball more "exciting" to watch.
1. "Baseball has faster pitching..." hitters in softball have less reaction time than baseball.
https://youtu.be/UsE6CEyFen8
https://youtu.be/gm9iZnqGMvY
https://youtu.be/QEtG5KvuWs4
http://www.kansascity.com/sports/mlb/ka ... 09314.html

2. "longer base paths" make for too many routine plays. They catch the ball, they check out the laces, shuffle shuffle and still beat the runner by 10 feet. Softball, you mishandle it and you are toast. Speed of the game makes it much more intense for defense and offense. It kills me in baseball watching a guy jog to first even though he hit a gapper because he knows he won't make it 2nd. Softball, gapper... you are going to try to get second every time. If Coach Richardson is coaching 3rd... she may even have you come to 3rd... :D

3. "longer throws". In softball, any ball to the left side has to be smoked to 1st to get the out. It creates more stress on the defense, which is why slapping is successful. Good slappers get on by error a lot because the push the defense. The shorter infield means the ball is coming at the defense much quicker, especially since composite bats are still legal. You can't stand 5 feet behind 3rd to give yourself reaction time because you will get small balled to death. It forces 3rd to play up. small ball in baseball, almost non-existent.

5. Both are difficult, round bat hitting a round ball that's moving. Just wanted to give some other perspective that the game is very tough to play at a high level.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach, TF, and I are all :clapping :clapping :clapping .
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
To also give some perspective on the sport a little history lesson from my memory of sport history class. Softball was originally made up by a bunch of guys who wanted to play baseball in the winter in the late 1800's in Chicago. So they came up with the indoor version of baseball which featured a softer and larger ball and a smaller bat so that the ball wouldn't travel as far or fast because they were playing indoors. The game took off in popularity and in the summer people began playing it outdoors. Women started playing it shortly after its invention and somewhere in the 1930's it became a recognized sport for both men and women. Obviously the game has developed a whole lot since then but there is your little history of sport lesson for the day, I'm sure Prof. Blosser would be proud I actually listened in one of his classes lol
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LU used to have the greatest Sport History prof in the History of History
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:LU used to have the greatest Sport History prof in the History of History
well where were you when I was in school? geez. lol all joking aside I had some awesome SMGT prof's. Cohu and Blosser were my favorites and one of my old classmates is now on the staff. IF( and that is a huge if) I were ever to donate money to the school one day it would be earmarked for that program.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]