This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Sly Fox wrote:I have no direct knowledge whatsoever. But what if this part of a move away from LCA being operated by TRBC toward LU? Just spitballing.
Well the Liberty University Online Academy is already a thing. It could make sense to tie it into LCA rather than LU. Liberty Christian Academy Online is more clear anyway.
LCA should stay a part of TRBC, and not become part of LU.

There are a few folks who think trbc is part of LU now. The college is an arm of the church, not the church an arm of college. I hear people using the term semester when talking about church .
Church is a 52 weeks a year , we are not on semesters.
ballcoach15 wrote:LCA should stay a part of TRBC, and not become part of LU.

There are a few folks who think trbc is part of LU now. The college is an arm of the church, not the church an arm of college. I hear people using the term semester when talking about church .
It's somehow uncomfortable wholeheartedly agreeing with you. I know the school is trying to play "hearts and minds" with the local community, but somehow it doesn't feel like it is Christ lead. It feels PR lead.

I think TRBC and LCA need their own separate facilities away from LU. I think part of why it feels like TRBC is an arm of the college is because the college has a $2B endowment and is creeping slowly towards the church with every new job. TRBC is a big church. LU is a bigger school.
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:LCA should stay a part of TRBC, and not become part of LU.

It's somehow uncomfortable wholeheartedly agreeing with you. I know the school is trying to play "hearts and minds" with the local community, but somehow it doesn't feel like it is Christ lead. It feels PR lead.

I think TRBC and LCA need their own separate facilities away from LU. I think part of why it feels like TRBC is an arm of the college is because the college has a $2B endowment and is creeping slowly towards the church with every new job. TRBC is a big church. LU is a bigger school.
You are not wrong but they will be forever linked as long as the Falwell's are involved. In the 80's it was TRBC that garnered the spotlight. A lot of that happened after Jerry Sr died. Since he was the figure head of both, you could promote both. Now Jerry Falwell is STILL running the University and is considered a Christian Evangelical Leader. Just because he has JR at the end of his name. No one outside of the LU Bubble has any idea who Jonathon Falwell is. So the Church has taken itself out of the National and maybe Regional spotlight while the University,
led by a name we all now, has done the opposite
Apparently stadium redesign plans are being redrawn, otherwise cranes would already be in place on addition to stadium. I think a VT at LU game could bring in 60-70,000 if stadium could hold them.

Just wait until Alabama or Auburn comes to Williams Stadium.
ballcoach15 wrote:Apparently stadium redesign plans are being redrawn, otherwise cranes would already be in place on addition to stadium. I think a VT at LU game could bring in 60-70,000 if stadium could hold them.

They could design the stadium to a max of 50-60k if needed especially for a VT or even another notable P5 school. Funny that you brought up Auburn, because I wouldn't be surprise if their is a negotiation to have a 2-1 with them in the future. For Alabama, maybe not so close in the future or during the Saban era. Of course I could be wrong with that too. Is it just me or does it seem like the Bill will be a complete bowl after the designs are completed?
ballcoach15 wrote:Apparently stadium redesign plans are being redrawn, otherwise cranes would already be in place on addition to stadium. I think a VT at LU game could bring in 60-70,000 if stadium could hold them.

I hope they don't build the Bill to this level, for two reasons. Just because that many people would come, and I believe they would for a VT or most P5 team, doesn't mean they should. Is it worth having 20-30k empty seats when we host ODU just because we would fill them with Hokie fans? I submit it creates a much better environment to have fewer seats, say 40k-ish that would be easier to fill on a weekly basis than to see so many empties with G5 and FCS games.

NASCAR is seeing this firsthand. During the popularity boom of the sport in the late 90s to early 00s most tracks added seats upon seats because there was a demand for it. Now you can't watch a race without seeing large chunks of aluminum. Having fewer empty seats not only looks more aesthetically pleasing but puts a premium on the ticket as well. More demand than supply means more $$$.

The second reason is that we don't have the infrastructure to handle that many people for a game. Anyone that was here for commencement this past spring knows how crazy that was- with only about 45k people. Without creating ALOT parking up the mountain and using shuttles there just aren't enough options for parking or traffic in and out.
LUAlum1215 wrote:

I hope they don't build the Bill to this level, for two reasons. Just because that many people would come, and I believe they would for a VT or most P5 team, doesn't mean they should. Is it worth having 20-30k empty seats when we host ODU just because we would fill them with Hokie fans? I submit it creates a much better environment to have fewer seats, say 40k-ish that would be easier to fill on a weekly basis than to see so many empties with G5 and FCS games.

NASCAR is seeing this firsthand. During the popularity boom of the sport in the late 90s to early 00s most tracks added seats upon seats because there was a demand for it. Now you can't watch a race without seeing large chunks of aluminum. Having fewer empty seats not only looks more aesthetically pleasing but puts a premium on the ticket as well. More demand than supply means more $$$.

The second reason is that we don't have the infrastructure to handle that many people for a game. Anyone that was here for commencement this past spring knows how crazy that was- with only about 45k people. Without creating ALOT parking up the mountain and using shuttles there just aren't enough options for parking or traffic in and out.

You have a reasonable statement about the capacity of the Bill. I would hope that 45k would be enough for the school for the next few years or so. I also understand the concern of the lack of attendance for a G5 or FCS school. You might want to consider more visitors and residents in the future who will attend LU games will increase as the athletic programs build up. Looking at the parking situation, your concern is factual based on what we have now. That's why the master plan is not completed even though at times media has been saying otherwise. The first phase of the plan is near completion but there's so much to go. When it comes to parking, they'll be a few parking garages and parking areas all around campus plus the options for spectators to come on campus and to leave campus appropriately after events. This is not only for football but for other events. That's why the vehicular bridge is being built, new exits and other plans for folks to consider parking and walking rather than causing traffic. For now, it might seem like not a good idea, but when they start building other parking and shuttle options, then it wouldn't be much of a concern.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
LUAlum1215 wrote:

You have a reasonable statement about the capacity of the Bill. I would hope that 45k would be enough for the school for the next few years or so. I also understand the concern of the lack of attendance for a G5 or FCS school. You might want to consider more visitors and residents in the future who will attend LU games will increase as the athletic programs build up. Looking at the parking situation, your concern is factual based on what we have now. That's why the master plan is not completed even though at times media has been saying otherwise. The first phase of the plan is near completion but there's so much to go. When it comes to parking, they'll be a few parking garages and parking areas all around campus plus the options for spectators to come on campus and to leave campus appropriately after events. This is not only for football but for other events. That's why the vehicular bridge is being built, new exits and other plans for folks to consider parking and walking rather than causing traffic. For now, it might seem like not a good idea, but when they start building other parking and shuttle options, then it wouldn't be much of a concern.
I'm sure that FBS schedules will bring more locals to the stadium, but I don't anticipate the city taking ownership in LU the way SW Va does with VT or Cville with UVa. That said I wouldn't expect 45k seats to be filled unless it's one of those teams for quite some time to come.

I'm aware of the "plans" for more garages on campus. I know of 3 that have been talked about with the most likely of those to come to fruition bringing the least impact. The number of garages/spaces is lesser of an issue than simply not having ingress and egress to those garages. We can build 14 garages (sarcasm inplied) down the Blvd but with only one lane each direction it doesn't help much. Knowing what I do of plans for campus, the new Vehicle bridge over 460 won't help much without an entrance to 460 which isn't planned. This was the issue that delayed the first garage built for so long.
LUAlum1215 wrote:I say "plans" because they are always changing, not to be sarcastic to you.
I understand completely. I thought that they were building a road that would be behind the bookstore and future school of business that will lead to the vehicular bridge? Looking at the plan, the garages are in different locations which mean people could enter the campus in different ways and not have to enter only one or two ways. With that being said, I would understand the big issue if most people wouk come at the same time(the likelihood of that is very slim). The stadium is in a good location so that a lot of vehicles can quickly come in from the highway and filled the car garages. Since those who will come earlier will be tailgators(also folks who want to tour campus/do other mini activities), the others who were touring downtown or driving in later for the game wouldn't have such an issue since the early birds will be already there and walking around. That can still cause some traffic but not as much as if they were driving around. That is a reason why I like that the school will be more of a campus to walk around/take school transit rather than the opposite.
LUAlum1215 wrote:

There actually is a legitimate sample to use for attendance. What was the attendance figure when LU and VT played last season. That would be a good gauge as to the high end of expected attendance
Purple Haize wrote:There actually is a legitimate sample to use for attendance. What was the attendance figure when LU and VT played last season. That would be a good gauge as to the high end of expected attendance
62,234. Capacity is just over 66,000.
adam42381 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:There actually is a legitimate sample to use for attendance. What was the attendance figure when LU and VT played last season. That would be a good gauge as to the high end of expected attendance
62,234. Capacity is just over 66,000.
It seemed like a lot less than that. I was thinking an actual number was low to mid 50's
So the LU game was on the low end of their attendance meter but bolstered some by the fact it was the new regimes first game.
Take out the LU fans, who travel well, and ask 'Does LU have that same number of fans who will come week in week out?" That's where you can start ball parking Your need for expansion

Round trip bus services to Lane Stadium in Blacksburg, VA
http://rallybus.net/virginia-tech-hokies/

Do you think we'll see something like this to Williams?
They charge $50 to drive you round trip from Lynchburg to Blacksburg? And I'm sure that doesn't include a ticket to the game. :football
A slow and steady build up of the bill is the way to go. I am fairly certain the AD has hinted at that in interviews as well. You want to create demand and not build too fast. It'll be interesting to see how things develop over the next decade.
thepostman wrote:A slow and steady build up of the bill is the way to go. I am fairly certain the AD has hinted at that in interviews as well. You want to create demand and not build too fast. It'll be interesting to see how things develop over the next decade.
That would be how smart people will do it. Have people start complaining that they can't get tickets. Then you'll see if you have demand
Slow build is ok, but it not be good to have a construction zone at stadium for 10 years, might be better to build and get it over with. Construction could affect parking and entering or leaving stadium.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]