This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Cider Jim wrote:Oh, right in front of the new indoor Football Practice Facility, they have a new stone wall with "Liberty University" signage that looks as classy as it can be. And just in time for New Student Orientation today!
Took a walk on campus Sunday and took pics. Ill post the album soon.
Purple Haize wrote:The best thought for a new arena IMO is where the Indoor Practice Facility is now. But since that spot is taken no telling
:dontgetit

If you had said "where the hockey arena is," I would have agreed with you.
I believe where they have the arena planned (Doc's plus parking lot) is perfect for a few main reasons:

1. Very visible for free advertisement.
2. Away from the main campus where it would be crowded(thinking of the growth of basketball and the increase of support/fans).
3. Easy to enter and leave during an event(the addition of a parking garage and the development of Liberty Mountain Drive).
4. Help exhibit an impressive look of the college campus during live broadcasting (my opinion on this one but the trees and dorms in the background helps with advertising).
5. The students on East would have no excuse to get involved with activities (lived on East and there's a stereotype about the East Campus community that is somewhat true).
6. Docs will be inside the facility so people would like to check out the arena and other units inside.
7. Start of a new era(basically a boost of the previous eras) of basketball, volleyball, wrestling, s.o.a.r dunk, and other activities.

*Side Note: I notice Purple mention the area where the indoor track/nanatorium is located. That wouldn't be a good idea for four reasons:

1. Not really visible from the main campus
2. Don't want too many facilities away from campus especially for recruiting visitation.
3. They're building a new cross country course around that area so that area was meant for running plus swimming.
4. From the master plan, there might be more dorms and businesses/hospitality in that area. This may also include a gas station (they say this plan is tentative but that's usually what's said fot most of the projects).
Your #2's contradict each other

I liked it where the Indoor Practice Facility is because it would tie in nicely with everything over there. While incredibly awesome the IPF really only has 1 use. You'd hav great ingress/egress as well, something LU is historically not noted for!!

The reason I was thinking over by the Indoor Track area is because putting something massive over there with what is already existing would be super cool. The drawback is that it is a little further from the main campus. Whereas the IPF is right there. But since they won't tear the IPF down it's all up in the air
Purple Haize wrote:Your #2's contradict each other

I liked it where the Indoor Practice Facility is because it would tie in nicely with everything over there. While incredibly awesome the IPF really only has 1 use. You'd hav great ingress/egress as well, something LU is historically not noted for!!

The reason I was thinking over by the Indoor Track area is because putting something massive over there with what is already existing would be super cool. The drawback is that it is a little further from the main campus. Whereas the IPF is right there. But since they won't tear the IPF down it's all up in the air

I was stating that the area at east is not on main campus (like where the vines is located) but it wouldn't be good at the location of ITF because that's off campus (basically). So it would be on campus but not clustered with the academic precinct. If it would be by the indoor track, it would be quite far and I'm not sure if people would head up there for games during the weekdays.

First #2: Stating that it wouldn't be clustured on main campus/academic precinct area (although still on a reachable part of campus).

Second #2: Stating that it's basically 'off' campus (although it's not, it sure feels like it) and not an easily reachable area that students and some others might make the trip to (those who don't have cars or do not use their cars as much).
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

I was stating that the area at east is not on main campus (like where the vines is located) but it wouldn't be good at the location of ITF because that's off campus (basically). So it would be on campus but not clustered with the academic precinct. If it would be by the indoor track, it would be quite far and I'm not sure if people would head up there for games during the weekdays.

First #2: Stating that it wouldn't be clustured on main campus/academic precinct area (although still on a reachable part of campus).

Second #2: Stating that it's basically 'off' campus (although it's not, it sure feels like it) and not an easily reachable area that students and some others might make the trip to (those who don't have cars or do not use their cars as much).
Can you two just find something you agree on? Is no thread safe from your incessant bickering?
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

Can you two just find something you agree on? Is no thread safe from your incessant bickering?
They're like an old married couple
ballcoach15 wrote:If they put it near Vines Center, it will not affect parking, (there is none).

I wish LU would build a parking garage between Vines and 460.
I don't think they want anything obstructing the view of the campus from 460. It's literally free advertising.

Speaking of advertising, the sign on University Blvd, between Williams Stadium and 460 is being replaced. There are two large concrete footers that look spaced for a standard billboard viewable from both the highway and the university.
If you're talking about what I think you are, the footers are for electric line poles/supports. Over this past weekend they pulled down old lines and are putting up new ones. If you look at East behind the dorms there has been significant clearing of the woods- all making way for new power lines.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

What are you talking about? I was just expressing what I meant by both reasons. You took it as bickering but that was not my attempt.
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

This was not bickering. He did a good job explaining his statements and I would have said as much and do so now. I don't necessarily agree but see his point.

Maybe you should try to reduce your caffeine intake or a lower sugared cereal in the morning grumpy pants
ATrain wrote:
They're like an old married couple
Except not adorable.
I'm more adorable than a freakin basket of puppies!
cruzan_flame13 wrote:[quote="Class of 20Somethin
cruzan_flame13 wrote:

What are you talking about? I was just expressing what I meant by both reasons. You took it as bickering but that was not my attempt.[/quote]

I didn't take it as bickering. I thought it was a refreshing well thought out and concise clarification and responded accordingly
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:In the back of my mind I think the powers that be are still clinging to the Civic Center option. Not 100% sure where you'd build it. The best thought for a new arena IMO is where the Indoor Practice Facility is now. But since that spot is taken no telling
Or the current TRBC location, since I think LU owns it now.
LUAlum1215 wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:If they put it near Vines Center, it will not affect parking, (there is none).

I wish LU would build a parking garage between Vines and 460.
I don't think they want anything obstructing the view of the campus from 460. It's literally free advertising.

Speaking of advertising, the sign on University Blvd, between Williams Stadium and 460 is being replaced. There are two large concrete footers that look spaced for a standard billboard viewable from both the highway and the university.
If you're talking about what I think you are, the footers are for electric line poles/supports. Over this past weekend they pulled down old lines and are putting up new ones. If you look at East behind the dorms there has been significant clearing of the woods- all making way for new power lines.
Confirmed: The footings are for large power line poles. No new sign in that area.
By rhezick
rogers3 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:In the back of my mind I think the powers that be are still clinging to the Civic Center option. Not 100% sure where you'd build it. The best thought for a new arena IMO is where the Indoor Practice Facility is now. But since that spot is taken no telling
Or the current TRBC location, since I think LU owns it now.
When did that happen? I thought that was all hypothetical talk Jonathan spoke of but did that actually take place?
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
rhezick wrote:
When did that happen? I thought that was all hypothetical talk Jonathan spoke of but did that actually take place?
This is referenced as the church building in city records, but I think it its the LCA portion of the facility. Don't think the church has changed hands, but it wouldn't be a surprise if it did.

ParcelViewer
Parcel ID Property Address
13001008 3701 CANDLERS MOUNTAIN RD
Help and Contact Information Help and Contact Information
SummaryImprovementsOwnership HistoryAssessmentNeighborhood SalesProperty Tax
Ownership History

Sale Date Sale Amount Seller's Name Buyer's Name Document No Deed Bk / Pg Conveyance
2/1/2017 $0 THOMAS ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH LIBERTY UNIVERSITY INC 170000620 DEED
Yeah, I had heard from several sources over the last year that Liberty bought the LCA building and I've started getting several emails from Liberty asking if we're interested in sending our kids to LCA.

The irony.
By rhezick
rogers3 wrote:
rhezick wrote:
This is referenced as the church building in city records, but I think it its the LCA portion of the facility. Don't think the church has changed hands, but it wouldn't be a surprise if it did.

ParcelViewer
Parcel ID Property Address
13001008 3701 CANDLERS MOUNTAIN RD
Help and Contact Information Help and Contact Information
SummaryImprovementsOwnership HistoryAssessmentNeighborhood SalesProperty Tax
Ownership History

Sale Date Sale Amount Seller's Name Buyer's Name Document No Deed Bk / Pg Conveyance
2/1/2017 $0 THOMAS ROAD BAPTIST CHURCH LIBERTY UNIVERSITY INC 170000620 DEED
Interesting. I mean that's pretty definitive. Wonder if the plans to move the church are taking shape.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]