Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
The D1 hockey scholarship limit is 18. Add that to the 22 we need to add for FBS football and you are looking in the ballpark of 40 women's schollies we would need to add to stay in compliance. Add to that the fact that at least one of the women's sports we would likely add (golf) is only 6 and the numbers are a challenge. We could add women's hockey and pick up another 18, but that still leaves us about 15 short. Equestrian is 15, which would do the trick. It's an interesting possibility,since most of the facilities are in place for all of those sports. An option to equestrian would be to add both bowling (5) and water polo (8). I actually like that a lot better, and it would increase the utilization of the natatorium, which is a ridiculously expensive facility to maintain.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:The D1 hockey scholarship limit is 18. Add that to the 22 we need to add for FBS football and you are looking in the ballpark of 40 women's schollies we would need to add to stay in compliance. Add to that the fact that at least one of the women's sports we would likely add (golf) is only 6 and the numbers are a challenge. We could add women's hockey and pick up another 18, but that still leaves us about 15 short. Equestrian is 15, which would do the trick. It's an interesting possibility,since most of the facilities are in place for all of those sports.

I heard Gymnastics and Golf were going to cover the scholarships for football but you're right everything is in place with facilities. Beach Volleyball, Equestrian, Crew, Bowling, and soon to be rifle facility if they need to add a women's sport. Both Men's and Women's hockey are 18 scholarships so it's a push if they add hockey.

I know Sr always wanted NCAA hockey and Jr is big into hockey so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:
oldflame wrote:The D1 hockey scholarship limit is 18. Add that to the 22 we need to add for FBS football and you are looking in the ballpark of 40 women's schollies we would need to add to stay in compliance. Add to that the fact that at least one of the women's sports we would likely add (golf) is only 6 and the numbers are a challenge. We could add women's hockey and pick up another 18, but that still leaves us about 15 short. Equestrian is 15, which would do the trick. It's an interesting possibility,since most of the facilities are in place for all of those sports.

I heard Gymnastics and Golf were going to cover the scholarships for football but you're right everything is in place with facilities. Beach Volleyball, Equestrian, Crew, Bowling, and soon to be rifle facility if they need to add a women's sport. Both Men's and Women's hockey are 18 scholarships so it's a push if they add hockey.

I know Sr always wanted NCAA hockey and Jr is big into hockey so it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
Do we have an existing facility that can handle NCAA gymnastics? I suppose the meets could be held at the Vines, but what about training/practice facilities?

I personally find the idea of spending about a half a mil a year (probably more) for a bunch of rich girls to ride their horses in front of empty seats to be borderline offensive. I think water polo would go over great. It's an exciting sport to watch.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
ballah09 wrote:

Do we have an existing facility that can handle NCAA gymnastics? I suppose the meets could be held at the Vines, but what about training/practice facilities?

I personally find the idea of spending about a half a mil a year (probably more) for a bunch of rich girls to ride their horses in front of empty seats to be borderline offensive. I think water polo would go over great. It's an exciting sport to watch.
Both Bowling and Equestrian are trending Sports. LU has the facilities for both I think. Shooting Sports should be a no brainer when the facility is finally finished.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I don't see any way we do both gymnastics and equestrian and if the decision has been made to go with gymnastics, I'm certainly fine with that. Trending or not, I have a problem with putting big bucks into a sport virtually nobody cares about unless they compete in it, where only a tiny number of almost exclusively wealthy girls would be good enough to compete at a D1 level coming out of HS. Bowling would be fine, although it's only 5 schollies. The more I think about it,the better I like the idea of water polo. Get as much use as we can out of the money pit natatorium and you have a sport that I actually think people will come and watch.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:I don't see any way we do both gymnastics and equestrian and if the decision has been made to go with gymnastics, I'm certainly fine with that. Trending or not, I have a problem with putting big bucks into a sport virtually nobody cares about unless they compete in it, where only a tiny number of almost exclusively wealthy girls would be good enough to compete at a D1 level coming out of HS. Bowling would be fine, although it's only 5 schollies. The more I think about it,the better I like the idea of water polo. Get as much use as we can out of the money pit natatorium and you have a sport that I actually think people will come and watch.
You seem to forget that money is no object.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
oldflame wrote:I don't see any way we do both gymnastics and equestrian and if the decision has been made to go with gymnastics, I'm certainly fine with that. Trending or not, I have a problem with putting big bucks into a sport virtually nobody cares about unless they compete in it, where only a tiny number of almost exclusively wealthy girls would be good enough to compete at a D1 level coming out of HS. Bowling would be fine, although it's only 5 schollies. The more I think about it,the better I like the idea of water polo. Get as much use as we can out of the money pit natatorium and you have a sport that I actually think people will come and watch.
I believe that is pretty much the case for major sports, because they elevate the university profile. I honestly believe that with IM on board we will be looking to use funds wisely for these sports we will be adding to comply with title IX. I don't know if that is so much just total $$ spent as it is using them for things that will yield a return of some sort.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
I believe that is pretty much the case for major sports, because they elevate the university profile. I honestly believe that with IM on board we will be looking to use funds wisely for these sports we will be adding to comply with title IX. I don't know if that is so much just total $$ spent as it is using them for things that will yield a return of some sort.
No Sport will yield a ROI at this level. You might could argue FB possibly as an advertisement expense, but that's a stretch. MBB in a similar boat. But after that? It's all about spending money, not making money
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
When I say "a return of some sort" I'm not referring to $$. You are absolutely correct on that. Hopefully we will add some sports that will spark at least a bit of interest on campus or where a degree of success would gain some attention. I think gymnastics and water polo both have potential. Golf looks like it is a done deal.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I wish NCAA would increase number of schlorshipsthat can be given for baseball and softball. The current limit of 11.5 is not good. Heck I believe basketball has 13 and they only play 5 players at a time. Where as softball and baseball play 10.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I wish NCAA would increase number of schlorshipsthat can be given for baseball and softball. The current limit of 11.5 is not good. Heck I believe basketball has 13 and they only play 5 players at a time. Where as softball and baseball play 10.
Basketball brings in more money
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:When I say "a return of some sort" I'm not referring to $$. You are absolutely correct on that. Hopefully we will add some sports that will spark at least a bit of interest on campus or where a degree of success would gain some attention. I think gymnastics and water polo both have potential. Golf looks like it is a done deal.
The only 1 of the 3 you mentioned MIGHT be Water Polo. Gymnastics and Golf don't exactly have Campuses (Campi?) abuzz.
I do get what you are saying though. I just don't think it exists
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I think golf was a quick choice because it is an easy and inexpensive way to add 6 schollies. I don't know that gymnastics will incite a tremendous amount of excitement on campus, but with the right coach bringing in an elite gymnast or 2 it's possible we could gain some attention for it. Somewhere out there is the gymnastic equivalent of Dot Richardson. Maybe Mary Lou?

http://www.bpnews.net/5027/motherhood-n ... for-christ

OOPS That one is OLD :shock: Here are a couplemore recent

http://bransontrilakesnews.com/sports_f ... 3aaba.html
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/201 ... ps-up-in-/

2 of her daughters were college gymnasts, one at Baylor.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Oldflame, that is some top quality Internet research! :clapping
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I read an article in newspaper yesterday, that said the politically correct folks are upset that there are not more women and gay coaches at the D1 level. It mentioned that Title IX doesn't cover this.

Thankfully schools are not forced to meet Liberal Quotas when hiring coaches.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I read an article in newspaper yesterday, that said the politically correct folks are upset that there are not more women and gay coaches at the D1 level. It mentioned that Title IX doesn't cover this.

They are not wrong to a point.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I know there is, at both high school and college level. And most have a "bad attitude" and bad sportsmanship, compared to "straight" coaches. I have dealt with them as a coach at high school level. I have also talked with several gay college coaches in my lifetime. They don't even register on the personality meter.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I know there is, at both high school and college level. And most have a "bad attitude" and bad sportsmanship, compared to "straight" coaches. I have dealt with them as a coach at high school level. I have also talked with several gay college coaches in my lifetime. They don't even register on the personality meter.
Gosh. Color me shocked. With your bubbly and effervescent personality I find it hard to believe you didn't get along with everyone :roll:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I read an article in newspaper yesterday, that said the politically correct folks are upset that there are not more women and gay coaches at the D1 level. It mentioned that Title IX doesn't cover this.

While I am not against men coaching women's sports per se, IMHO unless a male candidate is clearly better qualified, it is better, safer and less complicated to hire women to coach women. Things are much more balanced now than they were several years ago, but 6 of Liberty's 10 women's sports are coached by men. 3 of them are coached by "lifers", but we did also just hire a man to coach women's soccer.

As badly as the liberal snowflakes may want it, I do not see the day coming when men being coached by women is anything but a once in a blue moon thing. I will point out though that our recent football commit, Sean Queen, was coached to a HS state championship in the long jump by a woman. (She happens to be his mom, who was an ace triple jumper at Liberty. :wink: )
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It basically boils down to the individual coach. I know some excellent women coaches, but I know more bad ones who were hired based on their gender, more than their coaching ability .

I could say much more on this topic, but I do not want to risk being shot by a liberal.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I know there is, at both high school and college level. And most have a "bad attitude" and bad sportsmanship, compared to "straight" coaches. I have dealt with them as a coach at high school level. I have also talked with several gay college coaches in my lifetime. They don't even register on the personality meter.
Gosh. Color me shocked. With your bubbly and effervescent personality I find it hard to believe you didn't get along with everyone :roll:
Purple, I do get along with most people, except those who have bad attitude or bad sportsmanship, and those who have zero personality.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:It basically boils down to the individual coach. I know some excellent women coaches, but I know more bad ones who were hired based on their gender, more than their coaching ability .

I could say much more on this topic, but I do not want to risk being shot by a liberal.
I could say the same about male coaches
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

While I am not against men coaching women's sports per se, IMHO unless a male candidate is clearly better qualified, it is better, safer and less complicated to hire women to coach women. Things are much more balanced now than they were several years ago, but 6 of Liberty's 10 women's sports are coached by men. 3 of them are coached by "lifers", but we did also just hire a man to coach women's soccer.

As badly as the liberal snowflakes may want it, I do not see the day coming when men being coached by women is anything but a once in a blue moon thing. I will point out though that our recent football commit, Sean Queen, was coached to a HS state championship in the long jump by a woman. (She happens to be his mom, who was an ace triple jumper at Liberty. :wink: )
Ironically I am 'very close' to someone who is a female and has been offered the Bous/Men coaching position at 3 different places

Agreed Cruzan. Memphis just got $5 million a […]

New Mexico State

Crazy game, should have won it about an hour and a[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

We went from everyone on the team being 6’7&[…]

2024 Season Thread

This weekend is a big series on the road against a[…]