The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote: but any college D1 tournament in town should get more coverage than a Jefferson Forest soccer game.
Not a battle you're going to win. Sorry.
Perhaps, but he is the only person I know who actually buys the paper... and every day!
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote:Lack of interest is lack of interest whether one is in the NCAA regionals or this new NIT tournament period.
FTFY
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The online version of N&A article was actually more complimentary than the hard copy edition, which featured this title:
Tainted Title for Liberty?
LU was one out away from losing when rain came and the top of the inning was erased [subtitle]
And, ballcoach, I get the paper delivered to my house (and still have a land line). :oldhag
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I would get paper delivered, but they not deliver it early enough, out in the country.

This championship was not tainted. If they had played on a dry field, LIberty would have won easily in my opinion. Liberty was better team.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Just curious ballcoach. Since you are at virtually every Liberty softball game in person, what difference should it make to you what a reporter, who almost certainly knows less about the game or our team than you do, says?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
It doesn't make any difference to me. I know the best team won, however the best team doesn't always win. See BSC Tournament.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
thesportscritic wrote:Lack of interest is lack of interest whether one is in the NCAA regionals or this new NIT tournament period.
FTFY
Speak for yourself
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
There were some die hard fans at every game. Now granted attendance was very bad. Part of it was due to the lack of marketing. Unless one follows Liberty softball closely, most people did not even know tournament was being played.
Last night I counted the fans in the stadium, I am ashamed to say what the count was. This tournament should have been advertised in every possible way, so that everyone within at least a 60 miles radius of Lynchburg knew about it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:There were some die hard fans at every game. Now granted attendance was very bad. Part of it was due to the lack of marketing. Unless one follows Liberty softball closely, most people did not even know tournament was being played.
Last night I counted the fans in the stadium, I am ashamed to say what the count was. This tournament should have been advertised in every possible way, so that everyone within at least a 60 miles radius of Lynchburg knew about it.
Seriously? With the way the weather was last night I'm surprised anyone was there
Secondly you assume knowing about it would have translated into exponentially larger attendance. That's a false assumption. Your target audience would be local softball players who are in season and trying to get their games in. You also have graduation ceremonies this past week to deal with.
There are fewer larger advocates of Women's Athlets than I am but I also understand the realities and limitations of its appeals. You could have advertised until the cows come home but very few people would have gone out of their way to brace the elements.
Finally, due to the weather no one ever knew what time the games started. So how do you get that information out? Sky writing?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
This tournament was only topped by the President's visit to Lynchburg, in my opinion.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:This tournament was only topped by the President's visit to Lynchburg, in my opinion.
Marketing mistake #1: Assuming your opinion is similar to those you market to. There were 0 indicators that Lynchburg would come out to this softball Tournament. The weather didn't help. It's not like they were pulling in 1500-2000 people a game WITH students on campus.
This tournament was pushed on all their media hits so I'm not sure what more you wanted. It certainly didn't warrant extra media buys.
And again, even if I had wanted to go to a game (I actually thought about it) there was never a set time Hard to plan a night out at the game when you don't know when first pitch is going to take place
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:And again, even if I had wanted to go to a game (I actually thought about it) there was never a set time Hard to plan a night out at the game when you don't know when first pitch is going to take place
Purple, with all due respect, a quick check of the LU softball website would have given you a correct time of each game, even if there was a delay. Since I'm on summer vacation, I attended all TEN of the tourament games LU played, which was even more than ballcoach watched. :shock:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:And again, even if I had wanted to go to a game (I actually thought about it) there was never a set time Hard to plan a night out at the game when you don't know when first pitch is going to take place
Purple, with all due respect, a quick check of the LU softball website would have given you a correct time of each game, even if there was a delay. Since I'm on summer vacation, I attended all TEN of the tourament games LU played, which was even more than ballcoach watched. :shock:
Just you right? No kids? No Mrs Cider? Because school is still in session locally so trying to load up the kids for a 7 pm first pitch that doesn't happen till 10.... :shock:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Just me, ballcoach, TF, all of their closest old guy softball buddies, plus CG & TG. :oldhag :oldhag :oldhag Play Basketball :football
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Just me, ballcoach, TF, all of their closest old guy softball buddies, plus CG & TG. :oldhag :oldhag :oldhag :football
So a bunch of creepy old dudes watching college age females....... :shock:
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Just me, ballcoach, TF, all of their closest old guy softball buddies, plus CG & TG. :oldhag :oldhag :oldhag :football
So a bunch of creepy old dudes watching college age females....... :shock:
You forgot to include Waldo, I mean JJ McCracken! Maybe looking for a future Mrs McCracken?!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
LF was there, too. :cheerleader
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
For those who know and understand college softball, it's probably the most exciting sport to watch, especially when 2 good teams are playing.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:For those who know and understand college softball, it's probably the most exciting sport to watch, especially when 2 good teams are playing.
Could you explain what makes softball any better than baseball? Genuinely curious. Baseball has faster pitching, longer basepaths(Seriously, a triple in baseball is longer than a homer in softball), deeper fences, longer throws, more innings, and the issue of rotating pitchers that softball doesn't appear to have.

It just seems to me that every aspect of baseball is more difficult than softball. I won't even ask for you to compare it to any of the other sports out there that are far more entertaining. Let's just have you defend the apples to apples comparison. I will never recognize your existence again if your response devolves into some autofellating stroke of your own intellectual prowess.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Softball is a faster paced game. It involves more coaching strategy . The "short game" comes into play more in softball than in baseball. (for most teams). A softball game is 7 innings, whereas a baseball game is 9 innings.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
What ballcoach said, plus more bunting, tougher pitchers (throwing BOTH games of a double header), and a few different rules (i.e., batters who are pinch run for can return to the game ONE time). And with a smaller field/stadium, the game seems closer to the fans.

And hearing Ballcoach and TF discuss coaching strategy is an education in itself! Study
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Cider, very true.

Last night in the Alabama - Florida game, it was 0-0 in 5th inning. Alabama got a BB, then laid down 4 straight SAC bunts, 2 of which Florida made errors on, resulting in 3 runs. "Ball game".

In baseball, in a lot of 3 game series', one team often runs out of pitching, and game turns into the equalivant of a slow pitch church league game.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]