This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

thepostman wrote:I've always heard the program was well respected but never really looked much into it myself.
Yes it is very well respected. It was set up very well and continues to do well
Snowflake
Purple Haize wrote:I'll speak for those who can't speak for themselves. I'd like to see more resources put towards People instead of Buildings
Agree and have made the same comment here. Key is to balance the two and which had to come first. For LU I think it was buildings but is does seem a bit too much went to sports and not enough to the academic side. But I have heard JFJr indicate the priority for the next decade is academic improvement. I'd hope a plan might be launched and discussed in the local media which just did a great job on the building side of LU to date.That might also cool some of the critics and cynics around town and the nation.
The massive construction in a relatively short time was done to "strike while the iron was hot" and take advantage of a number of economic factors which included abundant cash flow, cheap financing and a buyer's market for major construction projects. Now that it is pretty much wrapped up, I expect to see the priorities change somewhat.
Purple Haize wrote:
thepostman wrote:I've always heard the program was well respected but never really looked much into it myself.
Yes it is very well respected. It was set up very well and continues to do well
I got to meet virtually every nursing student who came through the LU program as well as some of the professors over a period of over 10 years doing orientations for them on their mental health rotation as part of my job. We did the same for LC and Centra Health. A lot of great kids in all 3, but the Liberty nurses were OUTSTANDING (and we got a ton of free work out of them) 8)
badger74 wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I'll speak for those who can't speak for themselves. I'd like to see more resources put towards People instead of Buildings
Agree and have made the same comment here. Key is to balance the two and which had to come first. For LU I think it was buildings but is does seem a bit too much went to sports and not enough to the academic side. But I have heard JFJr indicate the priority for the next decade is academic improvement. I'd hope a plan might be launched and discussed in the local media which just did a great job on the building side of LU to date.That might also cool some of the critics and cynics around town and the nation.
Like I stated earlier there were definitely some mission critical buildings that needed work. The Powers that Be have talked about building academics though. I do love the Program additions and it's a step in the right direction. I know the Med School started out strong. But people make up the Programs. And People teach the new students I just hope the next step is to treat those People similar or better to their peers
So I just saw a video made by an LU student about Liberty football. I'm guessing it was about football since the topic was about the bill and the indoor football facility. The LU student had this discussion with a man name Matthew Young. In the interview Mr. Young discuss on what's going to happen in the near future and later on for the football program. One thing got my attention, which was the statement of the Williams station being destroyed and rebuild to a better facility for the football offices and locker room(s) for football. Does anyone here know Matthew Young and what his relation with LU's athletics? Is it true what he is saying about the Williams facility or is it just a tentative idea?
Any links to the video you saw????

BTW, My wife and I are heading down to Ole Miss for the game in 2021 (Some of my best friends are Alumni) Hoping to see a good turnout in "The Grove ". Great school for tailgating, and should be a welcoming crowd. Anyone else planning on making the trip?????
Old Red wrote:Any links to the video you saw????

BTW, My wife and I are heading down to Ole Miss for the game in 2021 (Some of my best friends are Alumni) Hoping to see a good turnout in "The Grove ". Great school for tailgating, and should be a welcoming crowd. Anyone else planning on making the trip?????

Here's the link to the same video I saw:

[youtube]8kr7t0uKCoc[/youtube]
Believe it or not, I have heard somewhat recently of the possibility of a complete rebuild. I was under the impression that it was not likely to occur. But it would not be a complete shock since the Baptist-side tower was conceived and built back when our short-term aspirations were at a significantly lower level. That's why the plans that had been developed under Barber were for the student side tower to be significantly larger for facilities behind it. Where things stand with McCaw's vision is uncertain. But I trust his vision based on what he did from a facilities standpoint in Waco.
Sly Fox wrote:Believe it or not, I have heard somewhat recently of the possibility of a complete rebuild. I was under the impression that it was not likely to occur. But it would not be a complete shock since the Baptist-side tower was conceived and built back when our short-term aspirations were at a significantly lower level. That's why the plans that had been developed under Barber were for the student side tower to be significantly larger for facilities behind it. Where things stand with McCaw's vision is uncertain. But I trust his vision based on what he did from a facilities standpoint in Waco.
Being a sucker for right angles, it does bother me that the IPF is not perpendicular to the main field and tower. It does look a little crowded over there.

However, didn't their original drawings allow for phases up to 60k seats? That would make me think they had FBS in their vision, but apparently feel like it will be too cobbled together I'm guessing? It would be shocking to see this massive building come down after less than a decade, but LU seems to do this crap a lot.
I haven't heard any discussion of tearing down Williams. What I have heard is the likelihood of tearing down the FOC and building a new locker room & offices. It doesn't sound imminent though.
jcmanson wrote:I haven't heard any discussion of tearing down Williams. What I have heard is the likelihood of tearing down the FOC and building a new locker room & offices. It doesn't sound imminent though.
This would be more LU style. Put something up so it can be torn down and improved later. How old is the FOC?
ballcoach15 wrote:I cannot see the FOC being torn down. It opened in 2006 I believe. We might add an addition to it.
Oh I can definitely see it torned down. Just like the visitor's locker room was temporary, so will the FOC. I believe that shouldn't be as surprised of the few new outcomes coming forth under the McCaw era. That being said, some of the possible plans that they claim are just ideas most likely will be in action in the next few years. New Arena here we come!(I wonder whose name will be selected for the new facility)
ballcoach15 wrote:I cannot see the FOC being torn down. It opened in 2006 I believe. We might add an addition to it.
We're FBS now. It's all about keeping up with the Joneses.

I can definitely see a Texas kind of facility. Player lounges, Crazy locker designs, etc.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]