This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Any thoughts on the tentative plan for a future North Campus expansion? Since Liberty is growing, the master plan suggest a possible expansion of future projects which is occupied by the Candlers shopping center at the moment.
jbock13 wrote:27 reasons why Buckshot should be our starting QB. #14 will shock you!!!!
:dontgetit Where is this list??? :dontgetit
Cider Jim wrote:
jbock13 wrote:27 reasons why Buckshot should be our starting QB. #14 will shock you!!!!
He's referencing those freaking click bait posts on Facebook. You should be familiar. Study
Purple Haize wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:
He's referencing those freaking click bait posts on Facebook. You should be familiar. Study
Somebody started a whole family of pages JUST for the express purpose of saving people from that click bait stuff
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Any thoughts on the tentative plan for a future North Campus expansion? Since Liberty is growing, the master plan suggest a possible expansion of future projects which is occupied by the Candlers shopping center at the moment.

I was told by a good source that we are "done building" for now.
ballcoach15 wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:Any thoughts on the tentative plan for a future North Campus expansion? Since Liberty is growing, the master plan suggest a possible expansion of future projects which is occupied by the Candlers shopping center at the moment.

Except for tearing down Towns, putting up the new School of Business, rerouting University Blvd to parallel 460, and making the current Uni Blvd from the roundabout to Demoss a pedestrian area, yeah, they're done building. Oh forgot about Commons IV, then the rest of the residential expansion. And the unannounced building replacing The Rot in all of their drawings. Hopefully the rest of the residential buildings after IV are only 3 or 4 floors for quick construction.
soccer7 wrote:The building that would replace the ROT is suppose to the School of Nursing. That is a GREAT program and they deserve a stand alone building of their own.
How long until LU has their own hospital? The SoN as I understand it is one of the top programs in the country.
Class of 20Something wrote:
soccer7 wrote:The building that would replace the ROT is suppose to the School of Nursing. That is a GREAT program and they deserve a stand alone building of their own.
How long until LU has their own hospital? The SoN as I understand it is one of the top programs in the country.
People who work for Centra are always talking about rumors that LU is going to buy it.
ALUmnus wrote:
People who work for Centra are always talking about rumors that LU is going to buy it.
See: City of Faith
ballcoach15 wrote:

LU is always building, so I'd be shocked if they halted the process. Maybe it would be less of a priority and academia would be mainly focused on instead.
I'll speak for those who can't speak for themselves. I'd like to see more resources put towards People instead of Buildings
Purple Haize wrote:I'll speak for those who can't speak for themselves. I'd like to see more resources put towards People instead of Buildings
Maybe having world class facilities can attract those people into a school without tenure?
World class facilities don't put food on the table or pay the mortgage It's the one area LU has always lagged behind. Hopefully now that the Physical Plant is up to speed they will focus on Personnel (not named Falwell or Coaching FB or BB)
@PH

I would hope that the faculty, staff and students would receive more focus. Nonetheless the world class facilities are still important to help produce what you'd like to happen(or these folks will look somewhere else). Having those amazing resources will attract those people while gaining more revenue for those who will need it personally as well. Hopefully LU will respectfully serve those who serve the school's purpose in a rightful manner. From what ive seen from a JLF JR interview, he did state that he'll focus more on academia and limit student acceptance for school for awhile. I reckon they will continue building more residence into the 2020's, so that more students can get accepted and live on campus plus to expand more buildings for academia. In order to invest in people, you'll need the resources in which they can be influenced (as you already know). That should never be halted in an educational institution especially like LU.
Purple Haize wrote:I wonder if you've ever pulled a hammy getting on your soap box
I love your banter as much as the next guy, but he actually made some decent points. Liberty REALLY needed to invest in academics at LU. I'll just run down a few since 2010 that have been completed or should be complete by 2020.

College of Osteopathic Medicine
School of Music
School of Science
Jerry Falwell Library
School of Divinity
School of Business
School of Nursing
Additionally the Student Center becomes JFL 2.0 For study spaces during exam weeks.
I would also be surprised if the School of Law didn't relocate to the mountain near LUCOM within a few years.

If we want the type of Professors that will come in and help LU be known for their research, medicine, seminary, and law, theses facilities are absolutely necessary. Tenure is a powerful protection at other schools that Liberty doesn't offer.
Purple Haize wrote:I wonder if you've ever pulled a hammy getting on your soap box
I love your banter as much as the next guy, but he actually made some decent points. Liberty REALLY needed to invest in academics at LU. I'll just run down a few since 2010 that have been completed or should be complete by 2020.

School of Music
School of Science
Jerry Falwell Library
School of Divinity
School of Business
School of Nursing
Additionally the Student Center becomes JFL 2.0 For study spaces during exam weeks.
I would also be surprised if the School of Law didn't relocate to the mountain near LUCOM within a few years.

If we want the type of Professors that will come in and help LU be known for their research, medicine, seminary, and law, theses facilities are absolutely necessary. Tenure is a powerful protection at other schools that Liberty doesn't offer.
Did you even read my post? I a knowledges that. From a building standpoint several were near collapse. I am very glad that the Physical Plant is up to speed, that is what I said. One should logically take that to mean a) it needed to be done b) it's a good thing that it was done.
As for adding academic programs that's also a plus but can see how my post may not have conveyed that. You can't produce a healthy ($$) alumni base with just Pastors and Missionaries.
My more direct point was that taking care of their employees has never been a high priority at Liberty. Several in the Upper Levels of Administration have even openly spoken derisively about what it is faculty actually does all day. Thus my other statement being it's an area they have lagged behind for a long time. Do you really want Professooaith Terminal Degrees making less than a 3rd year Middle School teacher? It's gotten better over the years but still has a long way to go. And I hope they address it. For years when it's come down between the People or a new shiny building the People finish 2nd.
Purple Haize wrote:

School of Music
School of Science
Jerry Falwell Library
School of Divinity
School of Business
School of Nursing

Did you even read my post? I a knowledges that. From a building standpoint several were near collapse. I am very glad that the Physical Plant is up to speed, that is what I said. One should logically take that to mean a) it needed to be done b) it's a good thing that it was done.
As for adding academic programs that's also a plus but can see how my post may not have conveyed that. You can't produce a healthy ($$) alumni base with just Pastors and Missionaries.
My more direct point was that taking care of their employees has never been a high priority at Liberty. Several in the Upper Levels of Administration have even openly spoken derisively about what it is faculty actually does all day. Thus my other statement being it's an area they have lagged behind for a long time. Do you really want Professooaith Terminal Degrees making less than a 3rd year Middle School teacher? It's gotten better over the years but still has a long way to go. And I hope they address it. For years when it's come down between the People or a new shiny building the People finish 2nd.

The new shiny building was built for the people. That what I pointed out in my response. I never disagreed with you but I was pointing out how these improvement benefit not only the students but employees. As this is developing, everything else will follow suit. If it was so terrible, wouldn't their be a growth in resignations or quits which would make the school look severely bad? Or do the school have so much power that employees are in fear of their future and credibility that the lay low? There's always ways of improvement; I guess I needed to say that so I wouldn't have had the response that you had above smh.
Is this true? I've never heard it before (outside the LU bubble anyway) and couldn't find anywhere that the rankings seem to indicate this. I'm genuinely curious and would love to see some links.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]