Anything and everything about Liberty Flames football. Your comments on games, recruiting and the direction of the program as we move into new era.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, Class of 20Something

By Class of 20Something
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
One can only hope for this. Not only having athletes that love God above all and building their character/leadership but to actually put in the work and actually win games at a sufficient level.
We're starting to sound like the Ring By Spring girls. I want a godly man that's 6'2", smart, athletic, a leader and fluent in 37 languages for missions.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BuryYourDuke wrote:All falls back to the coaching staff. Not only are we apparentlyfilling the roster with questionable characters, but we are losing.
Yeah. That's a double whammy for me. I still have my man crush on Gill so I am going to give him the benefit of doubt that he may be purging the bad apples.
By cruzan_flame13
Class of 20Something wrote:
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
One can only hope for this. Not only having athletes that love God above all and building their character/leadership but to actually put in the work and actually win games at a sufficient level.
We're starting to sound like the Ring By Spring girls. I want a godly man that's 6'2", smart, athletic, a leader and fluent in 37 languages for missions.
Lol oh dear Lord :lol:
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
While neither were world-beaters on the field individually (Brown was solid, but was injured quite a bit) losing 2 big guys in the middle of the Dline creates a significant depth problem for us. In our system, we need at least 4 guys to rotate at those 2 spots, and preferably 5. We paid a severe price against Coastal and CSU when we were short handed there at the end of last year. Our JUCO transfer Trey Franklin will need to step up right away, and the FR Mitchell will probably need to play as well. I have a feeling our staff is scrambling to find another JUCO DT/NG as we speak.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
As far as returners are concerned, our probable interior Dline starters would be Tolen Avery, who is super athletic, but a bit undersized at 270 and Greg Story, who is HUGE at 6'5" 345 and showed some flashes against Coastal, but is still a project. Top reserve would be the big Latvian, Ralfs Rusen, who I hear has a ton of potential, but is green as grass. Those, in fact, are the only players on the roster at the DL position. Avery, who was our starting DT most of last year, is actually listed as a DE because they were planning on moving him back outside, but I'm sure with recent developments that will change.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
It is no accident that we have gone after JUCO DTs this spring. We still have some offers extended right now. And we certainly have the incentive of playing time for any of the guys we bring in. It also explains our pursuit of JUCO corners.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
The difficulty is that the next 2 years are virtually meaningless other than to build momentum. I dont think it will hurt high school recruiting as much as the jucos just because a lot of them dont want to waste their 2 years of eligibility. Hopefully we can land some more guys like nerness who are fbs transfers with high upside that have to sit a year anyway.

I like franklins tape better than hamilton. That kid just needs to get in shape football wise. Brown was a decent rotational player. Clean out all the problems and move on.
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
The more losers we get rid of the better. Coaches should go over the notes in the lawsuit and can everyone mentioned.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
With the single exception of Masha none of these have anything to do with football. We have a bunch of guys who have either been involved in illegal or unauthorized activities or are sympathetic to someone else who faced consequences for such activities. Losing both Holiday and Turner is going to be tough. Peters will be solid at one corner, and we have some depth, but I have no idea who will start on the other side. Might end up being the FR Best if he is healthy.
By rtb72
oldflame wrote:With the single exception of Masha none of these have anything to do with football. We have a bunch of guys who have either been involved in illegal or unauthorized activities or are sympathetic to someone else who faced consequences for such activities. Losing both Holiday and Turner is going to be tough. Peters will be solid at one corner, and we have some depth, but I have no idea who will start on the other side. Might end up being the FR Best if he is healthy.
Turner hurt! No argument on the reason...accountability has its consequences, but I really enjoyed watching that kid play ball.
By cruzan_flame13
rogers3 wrote:The more losers we get rid of the better. Coaches should go over the notes in the lawsuit and can everyone mentioned.

Although this is a sting, I'll have to agree. LU needs to rebuild and right now still have offers open for the 2017 season. I rather the program take out the trouble makers and bring in new blood who can do work in the summer and get prepared for the season. We'll just have to see what occurs with the updates this month and the summer. I hope the best for the Flames and their future.
Last edited by cruzan_flame13 on May 10th, 2017, 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:With the single exception of Masha none of these have anything to do with football. We have a bunch of guys who have either been involved in illegal or unauthorized activities or are sympathetic to someone else who faced consequences for such activities. Losing both Holiday and Turner is going to be tough. Peters will be solid at one corner, and we have some depth, but I have no idea who will start on the other side. Might end up being the FR Best if he is healthy.
I hope this buys Gill more time
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
I hope this buys Gill more time
I hope this will mark the beginning of a new phase in Gill's era. I really hope he'll be the "Vince Lombardi" for the Flames. Let's just not build a statue of him though lol :P
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Glad these guys are gone. One almost has to wonder if some of these activities have caused some chemistry or friction among the team? That could certainly be a reason for us under-performing the last few years. Gill needs to get control of this or transfer somewhere himself.
I was a big Gill fan when he arrived, but don't think he has done very well. LU is not as easy as some places to recruit. As a result we must have a coach with a big, dynamic personality to get some better players in here, especially since we are going FBS. Gill has the personality of cold, chicken soup. Great person no doubt, but not the coach to move us forward........ IMVVVHO.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This is starting to look a lot like a purge, and if that is the case. :clapping :clapping

Pure speculation, but it looks like Gill may be taking a cue from McKay. Give the player who has broken the rules the opportunity to transfer as if it were his own choice, with no public announcement as to the fact that he did not have the option of staying.

I don't know that anything should be read into this, but did anyone else notice that every player leaving so far, with the lone exception of Masha (who is pretty clearly transferring for an opportunity to get on the field somewhere again before his career is over) are on the DEFENSE? 4 D-linemen either dismissed or transferring in the last few months is :shock: :shock: considering the reputation Vance Singletary had as a mentor.
Last edited by olldflame on May 11th, 2017, 11:51 am, edited 2 times in total.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
There's no way Gill didn't know that some of this stuff was going on.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Since I brought McKay up earlier, let's put these 5 transfers in perspective (not counting Masha, who I think goes in another category). If you look at roster size, football would need to get rid of about 15 more players to match the house-cleaning Ritchie did in letting 4 go in his first few months.
Last edited by olldflame on May 11th, 2017, 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
jbock13 wrote:There's no way Gill didn't know that some of this stuff was going on.
I'm going to disagree on that. You'd be surprised what coaches both know and don't know. If these were Academic issues then he'd absolutely should know. This type of stuff maybe not.
For an instance, I was talking to my old coach and we were telling stories. I remember telling him about one players proclivities and he said 'I had no idea. It seemed so opposite of of what he appeared'. And that was a much smaller roster size than a FB team.
Of course, we won't go into what I got away with Study
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
jbock13 wrote:There's no way Gill didn't know that some of this stuff was going on.
I'm going to disagree on that. You'd be surprised what coaches both know and don't know. If these were Academic issues then he'd absolutely should know. This type of stuff maybe not.
For an instance, I was talking to my old coach and we were telling stories. I remember telling him about one players proclivities and he said 'I had no idea. It seemed so opposite of of what he appeared'. And that was a much smaller roster size than a FB team.
Of course, we won't go into what I got away with Study
Come on, I'm sure the statute of limitations have expired.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
In all fairness, Gill can't know everything that a group of 80-85 players who are 18-22 years old are doing. However, he is responsible for how quickly and effectively he mitigates the problem. In addition, if the players are convinced there will be quick and substantial circumstances for breaking the team/university rules. it can be a major deterrent to the number and severity of offenses. The last sentence is where I sense some big room for improvement.
I have never been quick to recommend coaching changes, it should obviously be the last course of action. I am not sure TG is the guy to move us forward at the FBS level. Hope I am wrong, because he is a great guy.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]