The guys aren't the only ones swinging bats in the spring. You can follow the squad throughout the season and even get the latest on recruiting.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Palmer was my 4th favorite pitcher to watch, after Sandy Koufax, Bob Gibson and Nolan Ryan.
By Dalegarz1
Gibson, Ryan and Koufax were all flamethrowers. The art of pitching was authored by Greg Maddox.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I loved watching him pitch, but Umpires gave him outside of plate a lot. Never forget a game once between Braves and Cubs. Kerry Wood was on mound for Cubs. Umpire made him throw ball "down the middle" of plate to get a strike. He was giving Maddox 6 inches off the plate. (I was pulling for Braves).
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Glavin was given 8 inches on the outside corner. Koufax was the best -12-6 curveball was unhittable. Retired when he was 30.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Chippy, are you old enough to remember Koufax??? I'm an old guy :oldhag, but Koufax retired when I was five.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
I started college when he retired ( 1966). I couldn't make a wiffle ball break like Koufax. I remember being at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh and the Pirates beat Koufax and Drysdale in a double header - 3-2 and 2-1. Clemente hit a ball off of Koufax to center where the batting cage was kept (in the field of play) since it was 457 feet from home plate and it went halfway up the light tower. Quite a blast. Koufax's standard line was 9 innings, 4 hits, 1 run, 10 strikeouts.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:I started college when he retired ( 1966). I couldn't make a wiffle ball break like Koufax. I remember being at Forbes Field in Pittsburgh and the Pirates beat Koufax and Drysdale in a double header - 3-2 and 2-1. Clemente hit a ball off of Koufax to center where the batting cage was kept (in the field of play) since it was 457 feet from home plate and it went halfway up the light tower. Quite a blast. Koufax's standard line was 9 innings, 4 hits, 1 run, 10 strikeouts.
Here's a recap of that blast:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullp ... l_climbing
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
I was fortunate enough to see Kofax pitch against Juan Marichal at the Coliseum in LA. As I remember the Giants won 1-0. I hated the Dodgers, but Kofax was a special talent for sure. Saw him and Don Drysdale pitch many times in person. Those were the good old days of no pitch counts, 4 starters instead of 5 and lot of complete games.
I lived very close to Angel Stadium and not far from Dodger Stadium, so I was able to see a lot of great pitchers. My favorite was Nolan Ryan, I saw him pitch one no-hitter and a few 1 hitters. Blessed for sure.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]