If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
I understand that merger concept when it comes to travel/expenses...but now you're battling 25 or so teams for an auto bid in every sport? Unless you're a league that can generate extra TV revenue with more members (ie the ACC, Big Ten, etc), I don't see why you want to keep getting bigger and bigger...you have more teams dividing the small pies that you are already dealing with, and making it harder to get NCAA bids for all of your programs.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Good observations Eagle fan. It's always good to be in position to get an at large bid, when you don't win conference tournament. With a 28 team conference, I see 27 teams sitting home come NCAA tournament time. Now granted, every now and then someone will have RPI high enough for at large bid. Plus with large conferences you have unbalanced schedules. The ACC has that now. I believe the ACC has 14 teams, which is too many. Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville and Notre Dame should have never been allowed to come near the ACC. Probably Boston College also.
When you have large conferences, there's a lot of cost for travel. I don't see how some BSC schools survive now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Good observations Eagle fan. It's always good to be in position to get an at large bid, when you don't win conference tournament. With a 28 team conference, I see 27 teams sitting home come NCAA tournament time. Now granted, every now and then someone will have RPI high enough for at large bid. Plus with large conferences you have unbalanced schedules. The ACC has that now. I believe the ACC has 14 teams, which is too many. Pittsburgh, Syracuse, Louisville and Notre Dame should have never been allowed to come near the ACC. Probably Boston College also.
When you have large conferences, there's a lot of cost for travel. I don't see how some BSC schools survive now.
Wait. A while back you said there should be NO At Large bids
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:That would be a lot of teams for one conference.

Something needs to change, and this might be the way to do it. Remember: The SEC pioneered the championship game model. The smaller teams need to devise a system that works for them. The way the author describes it, stronger regional rivalries would be formed.

Some other thoughts: the four divisions could rotate playing one another and have a mini playoff. North plays South this year, champions meet in one of two championship games BEFORE bowl games are announced. North plays East next year and West in two years.

That would bring more excitement all around.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: When you have large conferences, there's a lot of cost for travel.
You didn't read the article, or it went over your head! The point is to REDUCE travel costs. Teams would have more regional rivalries with the combined conference structure.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I read entire article. With 28 teams divided into regions, you still need a conference champion. 28 is too many for conference tournaments.
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I read entire article. With 28 teams divided into regions, you still need a conference champion. 28 is too many for conference tournaments.
Why do you need "a" conference champion? Think outside the box coach!
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:I read entire article. With 28 teams divided into regions, you still need a conference champion. 28 is too many for conference tournaments.
We really are in the YMCA age of everyone makes the tournament aren't we.....Two teams from each region is an 8 team playoff. Done. Or just do 4 teams and suck it up buttercup if your region is stacked(I'm looking at you, Texas.)
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The much more likely scenario that has been bandied about the region is for the Sun Belt & CUSA to reach an agreement to reorganize membership between them based on geography (likely west schools take Sun Belt and east take CUSA name). That way the number of auto bids isn't reduced and the travel costs come down. The primary challenge to pulling this off has to do with NCAA Tourney credits that determine how the Big Dance/CFP money is divided up. This scenario might open up an opportunity for us to join the eastern schools such as ODU, App State, Charlotte and even CJ's beloved Thundering Herd.

The cost of attendance increase in budgets is the primary driver for the sudden willingness for bidget-tightened state schools to consider these crazy ideas. Most of C-USA fled the Sun Belt in recent years to avoid being typecast as a Slum Belt school. But times are changing rapidly with TV revenue dropping precipitously due to cord-cutting.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Going with ODU, App State and Charlotte isn't much above FCS. As we go to FBS, we should avoid those schools in my opinion, unless we need them to fill out a schedule.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
We should absolutely not avoid schools like that. Regional rivalries are very valuable and those schools are a big step up from what we have been use to in the Big South.

Baby steps, ballcoach.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When people think of FBS football, ODU nor Charlotte come to mind. We need to play more established schools. LU is fairly new school compared to most, but we have had football longer than ODU and Charlotte combined several times over. I could never get excited about playing either of those, regardless of home or away.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:When people think of FBS football, ODU nor Charlotte come to mind. We need to play more established schools. LU is fairly new school compared to most, but we have had football longer than ODU and Charlotte combined several times over. I could never get excited about playing either of those, regardless of home or away.
You realize just because LU wants to play a certain school doesn't mean that school has an interest in playing LU
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I realize that. There are no doubt schools that feel same way about playing LU as I do ODU and Charlotte. It's the job of AD and Coach Gill to put together a good schedule. I am confident they will.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I realize that. There are no doubt schools that feel same way about playing LU as I do ODU and Charlotte. It's the job of AD and Coach Gill to put together a good schedule. I am confident they will.
But their idea of a good schedule and yours are vastly different
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:What is their idea of a good schedule ?
One that has ODU Charlotte and App St
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
When I think of a good schedule, I think of schools that will bring several thousand fans to Williams Stadium when they play in Lynchburg. ODU, Charlotte and Appy State probably would not bring many more than Coastal, Richmond or VMI brought in years past. I bet 99% of population in 50 miles radius of Lynchburg doesn't even know Charlotte has a football team.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:When I think of a good schedule, I think of schools that will bring several thousand fans to Williams Stadium when they play in Lynchburg. ODU, Charlotte and Appy State probably would not bring many more than Coastal, Richmond or VMI brought in years past. I bet 99% of population in 50 miles radius of Lynchburg doesn't even know Charlotte has a football team.
Thus my statement that your idea of a good schedule and their idea of a good schedule are two different things
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:When I think of a good schedule, I think of schools that will bring several thousand fans to Williams Stadium when they play in Lynchburg. ODU, Charlotte and Appy State probably would not bring many more than Coastal, Richmond or VMI brought in years past. I bet 99% of population in 50 miles radius of Lynchburg doesn't even know Charlotte has a football team.
All 3 of those schools have stronger followings than Coastal. I just think you say crap without actually thinking it through.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The Coastal part is probably true. I recall last spring at the BSC softball tournament in Rock hill, SC, LU probably had more fans there than Coastal, even though Coastal was closer to Rock Hill.
I was judging Coastal football fans that come to LU, compared with those other schools bring.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Stop comparing softball to football. That's an apples-to-kumquats comparison. You really have an inflated view of Liberty's standing in the greater athletic world if you think Liberty shouldn't be associated with "dregs" like ODU and Charlotte.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:Stop comparing softball to football. That's an apples-to-kumquats comparison. You really have an inflated view of Liberty's standing in the greater athletic world if you think Liberty shouldn't be associated with "dregs" like ODU and Charlotte.
It goes so, so far beyond that Chris. :roll: Substitute "distorted" for "inflated" and "reality" for "Liberty's standing in the athletic world" and you will be closer to the mark.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ballcoach is a whole other brand of crazy Chris...having been around here Im surprised you haven't noticed
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]