If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballah09 wrote:
Gotcha. I don't think it's against the rules but I'm not sure if the OVC would see any advantage. It would be a stop gap measure if they want that though
Liberty would be there for the foreseeable future so I don't think the OVC would view them as a pit stop like the Big South views us. Liberty wants out in the worse way and I think this is the perfect opportunity. As for what Liberty brings...They bring in the nations top facilities. Very good TF/XC, Golf and Baseball teams and the rest of the teams are competitive. Plus they sponsor Rifle and from what I hear, Liberty eventually wants to add a co-ed scholarship riffle team. Compared to what else is out there they don't have many options to choose from. Maybe FGCU.
I think it's intriguing but if I'm a member of any non FBS conference I look at LU as temporary. If CUSA or some such Conference came calling, LU is bolting.

I see what you're saying. The Big South probably has the same kind of thinking when they vote on Liberty. Since Liberty loves to hand out money, I'm sure the OVC wouldn't mind if Liberty is a temporary solution. Can you say huge buyouts? :twisted: :mrgreen: :flamingdevil

Once the dominoes fall, I hope the admins explore this option.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Without Belmont & Murray State, what would be the upside for the LU to want to add travel expenses? The Big South is a cozy league that we can dominate across the board for NCAA Tourney access in most every sport. If the Big South will keep us, I see no reason to pursue anything else outside of an FBS league.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
The arguments in this thread have gone kinda off the charts so I'll just get back to my original point about Gonzaga several posts ago and be on my way. If not Pac 12 then another Power 5. They will not stay where they are. NCAA Hoops is leaning heavily toward the Power Conferences in terms of At Large bids which was my point. All the successful mid majors are moving to top 8 conferences. Just a matter of time before Gonzaga finds one too IMHO.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:The arguments in this thread have gone kinda off the charts so I'll just get back to my original point about Gonzaga several posts ago and be on my way. If not Pac 12 then another Power 5. They will not stay where they are. NCAA Hoops is leaning heavily toward the Power Conferences in terms of At Large bids which was my point. All the successful mid majors are moving to top 8 conferences. Just a matter of time before Gonzaga finds one too IMHO.
But football is king when it comes to Conferences. The only 2 Conferences I can recall being successful as Basketball Only are The Big East and The Great Midwest (under rated conference). But the Big East went Football and The Great Midwest Conference morphed into CUSA which has.....Football. The Big East at least returned to Hoops only. Can't see the Zags joining them. The WCC COULD become the West Coast version though. Gonzaga BYU and St Mary's are pretty solid. Pepperdine and LMU experienced success in the past. And they did get 2 teams in the Tournament this year. I see a redoubling of effort to bolster the Conference before I see the Zags leaving. Now, if they can just get some PAC 12 teams to play them.....
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
LUGrad2000 wrote:http://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o ... abcf2.html

This seems like a good scenario for us long term if it were to happen.
That's absolutely a given. As the P5 become more and more powerful everyone else will be left in the dust. Those schools can't keep up in the arms race, just look at The Sun Belt. Things will look very different in 3-5 years in the 'lesser' FBS Conferences.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
SCAR wrote:The arguments in this thread have gone kinda off the charts so I'll just get back to my original point about Gonzaga several posts ago and be on my way. If not Pac 12 then another Power 5. They will not stay where they are. NCAA Hoops is leaning heavily toward the Power Conferences in terms of At Large bids which was my point. All the successful mid majors are moving to top 8 conferences. Just a matter of time before Gonzaga finds one too IMHO.
But football is king when it comes to Conferences. The only 2 Conferences I can recall being successful as Basketball Only are The Big East and The Great Midwest (under rated conference). But the Big East went Football and The Great Midwest Conference morphed into CUSA which has.....Football. The Big East at least returned to Hoops only. Can't see the Zags joining them. The WCC COULD become the West Coast version though. Gonzaga BYU and St Mary's are pretty solid. Pepperdine and LMU experienced success in the past. And they did get 2 teams in the Tournament this year. I see a redoubling of effort to bolster the Conference before I see the Zags leaving. Now, if they can just get some PAC 12 teams to play them.....

I'd say the A10 is a successful Basketball Only conference. Also Wichita is starting football to join the AAC from what I understand. Gonzaga could go the same route in order to get into a P5 or a top 8 conference. I like your point about the WCC becoming a power as a possibility but BYU/St. Mary's and others haven't been able to sustain the level of success of Gonzaga. They were all overwhelmed by the Zags this year. They are really good mid major programs. The Zags are MAJOR now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

I'd say the A10 is a successful Basketball Only conference. Also Wichita is starting football to join the AAC from what I understand. Gonzaga could go the same route in order to get into a P5 or a top 8 conference. I like your point about the WCC becoming a power as a possibility but BYU/St. Mary's and others haven't been able to sustain the level of success of Gonzaga. They were all overwhelmed by the Zags this year. They are really good mid major programs. The Zags are MAJOR now.
I forgot about the A10. I still think of Temple and John Chaney. You could probably draw a good parallel between the A10 and the WCC. I just don't see Gonzaga starting football to move Conferences
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I saw this morning that due to liberal politics and political correctness, North Carolina and NC State may be forced out of ACC. Hard to believe, but it's a possibility. Has it do with homosexuals or something. Someone is introducing a bill forcing UNC and NCS out of ACC, or something along those lines.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I saw this morning that due to liberal politics and political correctness, North Carolina and NC State may be forced out of ACC. Hard to believe, but it's a possibility. Has it do with homosexuals or something. Someone is introducing a bill forcing UNC and NCS out of ACC, or something along those lines.
You apparently didn't read an article in its entirety.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I saw this morning that due to liberal politics and political correctness, North Carolina and NC State may be forced out of ACC. Hard to believe, but it's a possibility. Has it do with homosexuals or something. Someone is introducing a bill forcing UNC and NCS out of ACC, or something along those lines.
It's basically the exact opposite of what you're thinking. It's far right politicians that are proposing this legislation.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
It's basically the exact opposite of what you're thinking. It's far right politicians that are proposing this legislation.
I swear he does stuff like this on purpose.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Football is basically a long-term goal for Wichita State and not imminent. When they do restart a football program, it will likely have to spend a couple of years in FCS land like South Alabama did building its program while already having membership in an FBS conference. Realistically it is probably 5-6 years minimum before Wichita State could be in the AAC for football. But having access to that level is without doubt one of the things most attractive to the school as they pondered this move.

As for Gonzaga, I agree with nearly everything you are stating, Scar. I just don't see P5 opportunities for a hoops only school no matter how strong their program. Kansas is basically being left at the altar with the Big XII falling apart around them if you believe some folks. The B1G & SEC both passed them over in realignment because football drives the P5s. And they even have a team already in a P5 conference.

I could see the Big East making the move to become the national hoops only league stealing a few of the quality WCC programs for an eastern division if it gives them financial leverage in a media rights deal with someone like Amazon or other streaming service that emerges as a primary player. Technology is proving to be the disrupter of realignment that runaway cable subscription fees were the past ten years. And it is shifting quickly.

And look at Haize starting to come around to the concept that being an FBS Indy might position us better for the next wave of realignment than hanging down in the Big South for football. The Force is growing brighter in you.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
:flamingdevil has always been about facing reality. The reality is that if this move helps get into an FBS conference it's a good move. If not.... But in a few years things will change and you will have what is now the P5 followed by the Wanna Be's followed by the We Can't Keep Up With The Jonses
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Sly Fox wrote:Had we not move when we did, we might be living next door to the Jones family for a long time.
I will beg to differ. I think there would have been a couple of foreclosures LUncould have moved into. Learning how to win and be successful where you are at is always a good thing
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
I still think the Big South is in trouble long term, unless there's some sort of merger with the A-Sun down the road. Savannah State dropping to DII might open the floodgates for programs that have no business in Division I (hi Presby) to drop down a level. Winthrop, Asheville, Radford and High Point are all fine. Gardner-Webb, who knows? Charleston Southern? How much longer can that program continue to survive on a shoestring budget and a steady diet of money games? Longwood probably won't try to put the genie back in the bottle, but it doesn't have to support football, either. Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Chris Lang wrote:I still think the Big South is in trouble long term, unless there's some sort of merger with the A-Sun down the road. Savannah State dropping to DII might open the floodgates for programs that have no business in Division I (hi Presby) to drop down a level. Winthrop, Asheville, Radford and High Point are all fine. Gardner-Webb, who knows? Charleston Southern? How much longer can that program continue to survive on a shoestring budget and a steady diet of money games? Longwood probably won't try to put the genie back in the bottle, but it doesn't have to support football, either. Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.
The Big South gives us a nice microcosm of the seismic shift that's going to happen in college athletics in the next 5 years. It's not just the Big South that's in trouble and with Coastal and LU leaving its condition critical at the moment. But there are a lot of schools out there that are over extended.
By Class of 20Something
Purple Haize wrote:
Chris Lang wrote:I still think the Big South is in trouble long term, unless there's some sort of merger with the A-Sun down the road. Savannah State dropping to DII might open the floodgates for programs that have no business in Division I (hi Presby) to drop down a level. Winthrop, Asheville, Radford and High Point are all fine. Gardner-Webb, who knows? Charleston Southern? How much longer can that program continue to survive on a shoestring budget and a steady diet of money games? Longwood probably won't try to put the genie back in the bottle, but it doesn't have to support football, either. Will be interesting to see how this all unfolds.
The Big South gives us a nice microcosm of the seismic shift that's going to happen in college athletics in the next 5 years. It's not just the Big South that's in trouble and with Coastal and LU leaving its condition critical at the moment. But there are a lot of schools out there that are over extended.
Agreed. It wouldn't hurt my feelings if D1 ball divided into three subdivisions. I think a true grandiose realignment could benefit a lot of programs. It would feel like a step back from FBS, but it's already clear about the distinction between P5 and G5.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think all D1 schools should be on the same plain. But we all know that money has ruined college sports. It's no longer about playing and trying to win a championship, it's about money. All conferences should be treated equally. granted the ACC, SEC, B10, B12 and PAC 10 (12) or whatever they're called this week, are somewhat stronger than other conferences, but that should not give them extra power and or benefits. Every D1 school should have opportunity to try to win a championship.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I think all D1 schools should be on the same plain. But we all know that money has ruined college sports. It's no longer about playing and trying to win a championship, it's about money. All conferences should be treated equally. granted the ACC, SEC, B10, B12 and PAC 10 (12) or whatever they're called this week, are somewhat stronger than other conferences, but that should not give them extra power and or benefits. Every D1 school should have opportunity to try to win a championship.
Didn't Coastal win one in baseball?
Wasn't Gonzaga a few minutes from winning one in basketball?
UCONN has won several in WBB.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:I think all D1 schools should be on the same plain. But we all know that money has ruined college sports. It's no longer about playing and trying to win a championship, it's about money. All conferences should be treated equally. granted the ACC, SEC, B10, B12 and PAC 10 (12) or whatever they're called this week, are somewhat stronger than other conferences, but that should not give them extra power and or benefits. Every D1 school should have opportunity to try to win a championship.
I disagree. I'd rather a separate playoff for G5. They can all have the same scholarships and all of that, but when one G5 school brings in a 4* recruit, it isn't a level playing field. Our desire isn't reality. Crack down on the toilet bowl games and get a separate playoff because Boise St could go undefeated and won't be in the conversation for the CFP. I'm fine with other sports keeping their structure, but there is a massive disparity in football that makes it less fun to watch.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]