Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Overall, Spring sports are going pretty well, but I decided to start this thread when I noticed that our men's tennis team is 0-7 in the BSC this year. :shock: When you consider the HUGE advantage we have with our facilities and resources, that is really horrible. Paging ATrain for a response on this since I know he still follows the program and we have the same coach (Chris Johnson) as when he was a GA.

I know there is a vocal group who think it's time for Carey Green to go, but let's be realistic. It will take more than one bad year to justify a change there, although for the conspiracy theorists out there, I think if Ian is going to poach a current or former Baylor coach, I'll go on record as saying Mulkey is a lot more likely (and a MUCH better choice) than Briles. Volleyball has fallen off a bit, but I think Pinder is safe for now. Lacross has gotten beaten up by their tough OOC schedule but is doing well in the BSC

On the men's sports side, other than tennis, I think Gill needs to show some significant progress immediately. They need to have a good year and show signs that they are prepared for the big step up in competition that is coming in 2018. The other program that has been disappointing is men's soccer. I know Albers is a great "Liberty guy" but better results are needed, or something will need to change.
By Class of 20Something
oldflame wrote:Overall, Spring sports are going pretty well, but I decided to start this thread when I noticed that our men's tennis team is 0-7 in the BSC this year. :shock: When you consider the HUGE advantage we have with our facilities and resources, that is really horrible. Paging ATrain for a response on this since I know he still follows the program and we have the same coach (Chris Johnson) as when he was a GA.

I know there is a vocal group who think it's time for Carey Green to go, but let's be realistic. It will take more than one bad year to justify a change there, although for the conspiracy theorists out there, I think if Ian is going to poach a current or former Baylor coach, I'll go on record as saying Mulkey is a lot more likely (and a MUCH better choice) than Briles. Volleyball has fallen off a bit, but I think Pinder is safe for now. Lacross has gotten beaten up by their tough OOC schedule but is doing well in the BSC

On the men's sports side, other than tennis, I think needs to show some significant progress immediatly. They need to have a good year and show signs that they are prepared for the big step up in competition that is coming in 2018. The other program that has been disappointing is men's soccer. I know Albers is a great "Liberty guy" but better results are needed, or something will need to change.
I think we will know how hot Gill's seat is when we hear the redshirts. If he redshirts some win now guys, I think the seat is cooler than some would like and he is preparing for LU's debut in FBS. If every star is playing this year, it might indicate that another bad year has him gone. I hope it's a clear bellwether into his relationship with IM.

Anyone else notice the vitriol around IM has died down a bit?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Looking at tennis and the divergent results between the men and the women, I do think Coach Johnson is going to be on notice, if not fired outright. The amount of youth for women's basketball probably will work in Coach Green's favor and keep him around, although it makes me want to pull my hair out at times having seen where we are compared to where we have been. I think Coach Pinder will be on notice but gets at least another year before they light the Sterno under his seat. Coach Tolsma can pretty much name his own retirement date at this point so he's safe until then or the Lord calls him. Golf is safe as well as Swimming, especially with the brand new diving coach being brought in. I think they are getting the sterno ready for Alder's seat and it'll probably be lit if the men have another down year. Women's soccer has a new coach so that is a moot point,
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
If you're looking at the body of work and the trajectory of some of the sports the last 5 years then Johnson, Nangle, Alder, and Pinder should be feeling the pressure. Average teams and no conference titles. What is crazy is lacrosse hasn't had a winning season in its short 7 year history. :shock:

Jr awhile back on Brian and Mari said Turner was his guy and is giving him a few years during and after transition to see how he does so don't expect to see him leave anytime soon. He also squashed the Briles coming to the mt rumors as well.

Another bad year for Green then he should be feeling the pressure as well. He can't use the youth excuse.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:If you're looking at the body of work and the trajectory of some of the sports the last 5 years then Johnson, Nangle, Alder, and Pinder should be feeling the pressure. Average teams and no conference titles. What is crazy is lacrosse hasn't had a winning season in its short 7 year history. :shock:

Jr awhile back on Brian and Mari said Turner was his guy and is giving him a few years during and after transition to see how he does so don't expect to see him leave anytime soon. He also squashed the Briles coming to the mt rumors as well.

Another bad year for Green then he should be feeling the pressure as well. He can't use the youth excuse.
You've been around long enough to know those words from JR are known in the coaching profession as 'The Kiss of Death'

Mulkey wont leave the Baylor sidelines either
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
I don't believe Green will ever be fired. He should of already been let go. The fact he hasn't speaks volumes. He is in with the Falwell family. A new AD won't change that.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Oh I know Haize but like Green, I believe he has it in with the Falwell family. How many times have we heard Gill praise him and his dad? I think every interview he does. stroking that ego.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Looking at tennis and the divergent results between the men and the women, I do think Coach Johnson is going to be on notice, if not fired outright. The amount of youth for women's basketball probably will work in Coach Green's favor and keep him around, although it makes me want to pull my hair out at times having seen where we are compared to where we have been. I think Coach Pinder will be on notice but gets at least another year before they light the Sterno under his seat. Coach Tolsma can pretty much name his own retirement date at this point so he's safe until then or the Lord calls him. Golf is safe as well as Swimming, especially with the brand new diving coach being brought in. I think they are getting the sterno ready for Alder's seat and it'll probably be lit if the men have another down year. Women's soccer has a new coach so that is a moot point,
I think this whole thread is ridiculous. I know this is sports, but come on... There will be very few coaching changes at Liberty the next few years. These people work their butts off for Liberty and produce some fine individuals - winnings not always everything. They all compete - down years - sure, but no one's close to being sent packing.
By Class of 20Something
prototype wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Looking at tennis and the divergent results between the men and the women, I do think Coach Johnson is going to be on notice, if not fired outright. The amount of youth for women's basketball probably will work in Coach Green's favor and keep him around, although it makes me want to pull my hair out at times having seen where we are compared to where we have been. I think Coach Pinder will be on notice but gets at least another year before they light the Sterno under his seat. Coach Tolsma can pretty much name his own retirement date at this point so he's safe until then or the Lord calls him. Golf is safe as well as Swimming, especially with the brand new diving coach being brought in. I think they are getting the sterno ready for Alder's seat and it'll probably be lit if the men have another down year. Women's soccer has a new coach so that is a moot point,
I think this whole thread is ridiculous. I know this is sports, but come on... There will be very few coaching changes at Liberty the next few years. These people work their butts off for Liberty and produce some fine individuals - winnings not always everything. They all compete - down years - sure, but no one's close to being sent packing.
I wouldn't be so sure. IM was brought it to cut the fat and make LU synonymous with excellence. I don't doubt that he will do his job if he feels that we aren't where we should be.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I think every sport at LU needs to recruit a little better. One or two recruits can mean the difference between an average season and a championship season.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
prototype wrote:
I wouldn't be so sure. IM was brought it to cut the fat and make LU synonymous with excellence. I don't doubt that he will do his job if he feels that we aren't where we should be.
Agreed. I have never been one to call for a Coach to be fired But it was the AD who broached the topic of improving on field performance. Add to that the fact this isn't the LU it was just 5 years ago makes this a very pertinent topic.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:
Of course they work hard. Lazy people do not go into the coaching profession, and if they do, they certainly won't last long. Working hard is a given. If you are "producing fine individuals" but losing, trust me, there is another coach out there who can produce individuals just as fine and WIN.

I agree that there are not going to be a lot of changes made, because most of our teams are WINNING. I don't believe that losing for more than a season or 2 is something we should accept without at least looking at the possibility that a change is needed. Men's Tennis had basically a .500 conference record in this entire decade prior to this season, where they are 0-7. This with a budget that dwarfs our competition and first class facilities other BSC programs lack. I think it is fair to question whether new leadership is needed.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ballah09 wrote:If you're looking at the body of work and the trajectory of some of the sports the last 5 years then Johnson, Nangle, Alder, and Pinder should be feeling the pressure. Average teams and no conference titles. What is crazy is lacrosse hasn't had a winning season in its short 7 year history. :shock:

You've been around long enough to know those words from JR are known in the coaching profession as 'The Kiss of Death'

Mulkey is not a happy camper these days. It's not so much Baylor; I think she loves the place. She is just very frustrated about how the school is perceived , with everyone painted with the same broad brush. She's a tough lady and definitely not a quitter, but everyone has their limits. I could see here leaving for the right opportunity if things don't get better there in the next few years.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
I'm just going to throw this out there but don't think this is what I want.

Gill is a placeholder. He will be here until we are fully FBS; two years. At that time, regardless of success, he will either be fired or asked to resign. Liberty will hire Art Briles as his replacement. The only way the above doesn't happen is if TG gets word from a trusted source that it's in the works and decides to bolt on his own. I have a fairly strong suspicion he'll still be wearing a headset in two years, but not coaching.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

Mulkey is not a happy camper these days. It's not so much Baylor; I think she loves the place. She is just very frustrated about how the school is perceived , with everyone painted with the same broad brush. She's a tough lady and definitely not a quitter, but everyone has their limits. I could see here leaving for the right opportunity if things don't get better there in the next few years.
She makes $1.1 million. Not sure LU can match that. If they do they've come a long way from letting a coach go asking to be paid 50k after winning the conference
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:I'm just going to throw this out there but don't think this is what I want.

Gill is a placeholder. He will be here until we are fully FBS; two years. At that time, regardless of success, he will either be fired or asked to resign. Liberty will hire Art Briles as his replacement. The only way the above doesn't happen is if TG gets word from a trusted source that it's in the works and decides to bolt on his own. I have a fairly strong suspicion he'll still be wearing a headset in two years, but not coaching.
:flamingdevil :flamingdevil Approved
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
It goes without saying Purple that we have come a long way financially since Rick Reeves left for greener pastures. What we COULD pay someone like Mulkey is not the issue, it's what we WOULD pay. It would open a pretty big can of worms as far as equitable pay for other coaches, including MBB. I think 1.1 mil might be a bit steep, but if Ian is persuasive enough, maybe she would settle for Turner Gill money.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:It goes without saying Purple that we have come a long way financially since Rick Reeves left for greener pastures. What we COULD pay someone like Mulkey is not the issue, it's what we WOULD pay. It would open a pretty big can of worms as far as equitable pay for other coaches, including MBB. I think 1.1 mil might be a bit steep, but if Ian is persuasive enough, maybe she would settle for Turner Gill money.
It's not financially I'm talking about. It's mind set. Green came in making more than double what Reeves made. What will LU value in the future?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:I'm just going to throw this out there but don't think this is what I want.

If you are talking about TV, I don't see it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Mulkey doesn't fit culture.
Well she does tell lesbians to stay in the closet
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:

If you are talking about TV, I don't see it.
If he's fired from Liberty, or asked to resign, he won't get a head coaching job at even a mediocre FCS program. He's got a good personality for TV. It would provide job stability and allow him an opportunity to greatly improve his brand.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:If Liberty is willing to hire IM and be open to Briles like some on here then any coach is up for grabs. Fit or not.
I disagree with your implication about IM; I believe he very much fits culture. But agree to disagree on that. Next, there's no indication we are open to Briles. So, if that's all you've got, then fit still very much matters.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]