If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:I guess we'll need a powerful basketball program to gain the attention from other conferences in the near future.
Or actual on-field football success...
By rogers3
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Presbyterian isn't the only school in the Big South that could be dropping down. Gardner Webb might be joining them.

http://www.gardner-webb.edu/newscenter/?p=17569
http://www.gardner-webb.edu/newscenter/?p=17524

Big South is slowly dying.
Having been involved in similar struggles, I'd not read too much into GW's plan as a sure sign that they will drop out of D1. It might seem counterintuitive, but a good sports program is considered an asset as opposed to a drain.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:Presbyterian isn't the only school in the Big South that could be dropping down. Gardner Webb might be joining them.

http://www.gardner-webb.edu/newscenter/?p=17569
http://www.gardner-webb.edu/newscenter/?p=17524

Big South is slowly dying.
The real loser in all of this is Kennesaw State
By cruzan_flame13
ballcoach15 wrote:I wish LU AD could get us in the AAC. We would be better than WS.
I don't know about the other sports but WS has a great basketball program. I would love to be part of the AAC, but I don't think we've reached that recognition yet. We need to step it up in the main sports and stay in that position in order to even have the commissioner/school presidents to check us out. Plus they probably wouldn't want us because they believe that our academia is bologna.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I agree but like always with budget issues sports is always on the list of cuts. Sports obviously hasn't helped Gardner Webb with their enrollment and retention issues. They probably have the worse location than any school I know off. Probably worse than Buies Creek. If they start cutting academic programs and firing faculty, which is what its starting to look like, then I can see a lot of alumni, students and faculty forcing the president's hand in a drop down.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I wish LU AD could get us in the AAC. We would be better than WS.

Wichita is 10,0000000000000000000000000 times better than Liberty has ever been in basketball and is perceived as a MAJOR program. Creighton, Xavier, Butler, Wichita are all mid majors that routinely got at Large Bids. Now all of them except Wichita are in a Major conference. Gonzaga will be the only "mid major for now that is not in a major conference and I could see a move to the Pac 12 at some point at which time I don't see another mid major ever getting another at large bid. I count the AAC and the Atlantic 10 as Majors given that there are 32 conferences and these 2 hover around 7th and 8th depending on the year. 2016, A10 was 7th 2017 AAC was. My point is that there are still major program college basketball fans that can't tell you where Liberty is or what conference they play in or who is the coach or anything else. Trust me I know these things because I interact with college basketball coaches, former players, AD's and media members 6 months out of the year. Liberty needs to accomplish meaningful things on the playing surfaces for many years if they ever want to be taken seriously by a major conference. Non Power 5 is clearly the option that is realistic.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Gonzaga in the PAC 12? Someone got too much sun over the wekend
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I agree with Haize in this instance. If the Zags land in the Pac-Whatever, there would have to be teutonic shifts in the college sports landscape. Honestly I think we have about as good of a chance to be in AAC as the Zags have of gaining a Pac invite. But since neither is happening anytime soon, it is a moot point.
By cruzan_flame13
Sly Fox wrote:I agree with Haize in this instance. If the Zags land in the Pac-Whatever, there would have to be teutonic shifts in the college sports landscape. Honestly I think we have about as good of a chance to be in AAC as the Zags have of gaining a Pac invite. But since neither is happening anytime soon, it is a moot point.
Is the Big East too much to ask for? I mean we can't compare with Villanova, Georgetown, Creighton, Seton Hall, etc. but our field hockey team is already there lol. I mean just think about how great that'll be especially when LU football progress as an independent. I mean it could work out quite well in the future. I found this article with a question/answer with the Big East commissioner: http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 8fdf0.html

This is why I sent my response:
Q: Where do you stand on future expansion? Is the Big East done?

A: You’re always keeping your eyes and ears on what’s going on. Ten is a great number for us. We don’t have any immediate plans.

She didn't say yes, but she didn't say no either. Also, Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing is going to be the new head coach for Georgetown. That alone would be awesome to see Ewing and the Hoyas playing McKay and the Flames!

Another interesting article:https://www.google.com/amp/www.bigeastc ... n-big-east

This caught my eye while reading it:
Padyk- "That point being, the school sizes and types of the schools that are in the Big East at this present time. At the moment the Big East is a conference of ten schools. All 10 schools are small private universities and colleges, and with the exception of Butler are of religious affiliation."

Realistically, we are a long shot but I have hope lol. Someone even suggested a southern school like VCU could join the conference if it would expand. I know we are not known like VCU, but why not give it a try. I mean we made the NCAA approve waiver to allow us to play FBS football, maybe there's a reasoning somewhere in which we could make an impact on the Big East as well as help boost the other schools too. Just a thought.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
Sly Fox wrote:I agree with Haize in this instance. If the Zags land in the Pac-Whatever, there would have to be teutonic shifts in the college sports landscape. Honestly I think we have about as good of a chance to be in AAC as the Zags have of gaining a Pac invite. But since neither is happening anytime soon, it is a moot point.
Is the Big East too much to ask for? I mean we can't compare with Villanova, Georgetown, Creighton, Seton Hall, etc. but our field hockey team is already there lol. I mean just think about how great that'll be especially when LU football progress as an independent. I mean it could work out quite well in the future. I found this article with a question/answer with the Big East commissioner: http://www.omaha.com/creighton/mens-bas ... 8fdf0.html

This is why I sent my response:
Q: Where do you stand on future expansion? Is the Big East done?

A: You’re always keeping your eyes and ears on what’s going on. Ten is a great number for us. We don’t have any immediate plans.

She didn't say yes, but she didn't say no either. Also, Hall of Famer Patrick Ewing is going to be the new head coach for Georgetown. That alone would be awesome to see Ewing and the Hoyas playing McKay and the Flames!

Another interesting article:https://www.google.com/amp/www.bigeastc ... n-big-east

This caught my eye while reading it:
Padyk- "That point being, the school sizes and types of the schools that are in the Big East at this present time. At the moment the Big East is a conference of ten schools. All 10 schools are small private universities and colleges, and with the exception of Butler are of religious affiliation."

Realistically, we are a long shot but I have hope lol. Someone even suggested a southern school like VCU could join the conference if it would expand. I know we are not known like VCU, but why not give it a try. I mean we made the NCAA approve waiver to allow us to play FBS football, maybe there's a reasoning somewhere in which we could make an impact on the Big East as well as help boost the other schools too. Just a thought.
You certainly have a fertile imagination. LU in the Big East. That will make me laugh all day. I needed that
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:You certainly have a fertile imagination. LU in the Big East. That will make me laugh all day. I needed that
Liberty making it to FBS within 10 years made you laugh :lol:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
TH Spangler wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:You certainly have a fertile imagination. LU in the Big East. That will make me laugh all day. I needed that
Not really. The College Athletic landscape was a lot different back then, but by hook or by crook LU was going to be FBS. The only way going Independent pays off is to end up in a Conference The Big East is not a football Conference. The fact that it tried to be was the catalyst for all you see now.
That's not even mentioning how inferior the on court product in or the geographical placement of LU.
What the post does show is the unrealistic expectations of the LU fan base At Large. A topic already discussed.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
LU should have nothing to do with Big East. If my memory is correct it is a basketball only conference. We need a conference that has football, basketball , baseball, softball, volleyball, track and soccer.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
I'll throw this out there. As a football independent we may be more successful recruiting with the P5's than if we were in a G5 conference. It comes down to who we can schedule and what we can do with the LFSN.
By LUGrad2000
Registration Days Posts
I wonder what we are telling recruits right now as far as our 18/19 schedules. I for one love the variety of opponents that an independent schedule gives. I just don't know if the conference games that the SB and C-USA have mean anything to a high school kid. On the other hand, does it mean anything to a high school kid playing at New Mexico? So, are they telling the recruits we have agreements with ___________________ and ________________________?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:LU should have nothing to do with Big East. If my memory is correct it is a basketball only conference. We need a conference that has football, basketball , baseball, softball, volleyball, track and soccer.
The Big East is just a Non Football conference. Obviously it's most noted for its basketball prowess. Especially the 80's
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:
TH Spangler wrote:
Not really. The College Athletic landscape was a lot different back then, but by hook or by crook LU was going to be FBS. The only way going Independent pays off is to end up in a Conference The Big East is not a football Conference. The fact that it tried to be was the catalyst for all you see now.
That's not even mentioning how inferior the on court product in or the geographical placement of LU.
What the post does show is the unrealistic expectations of the LU fan base At Large. A topic already discussed.
Things will change in the 21st century. Because you can't see something right now(short term), doesn't mean it's impossible in the long run(long term), college sports is changing and also teams that are not the typical historical teams are making a name for themselves. That being said LU is pushing for that and I got one can see that coming through. I don't need to be an LU fan to see the school transforming. You're just used to the typical names that you believe that things cannot change. Like you stated before, anything is inevitable and in this case this could be the same. LU could quickly gain success and recognition as an independent by playing schools that are high G5- low P5 and cause a huge upset. This could start a spark and LU could stay independent longer than expected. Looking at the big East, the big schools of the 80's and 90's are not so big and powerful anymore. LU's basketball can slowly build with good recruiting and can lead to some key upsets and progress(saw what Davidson did with Steph Curry, etc.). Plus, the bug east is mostly small, private and 'religious' schools. This fits LU background white well. With that being said, it takes more than the team to make a commissioner and school AD's to see a value for the conference. Will it happen in a 5-10 years? Maybe not. However it's not impossible and you could be wrong.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
So we will put you down as a LU to the Big East advocate. Not as crazy as LU to the SEC but at least they have football
By cruzan_flame13
Purple Haize wrote:So we will put you down as a LU to the Big East advocate. Not as crazy as LU to the SEC but at least they have football

Do whatever you will, but college sports have and will transform and also schools will do the same. I'm not surprise you and others think the way you do. Most of y'all lives were used to what we see today. In five decades, things will change with conferences and sports. Sadly, since you don't believe it, it is crazy and not possible.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Ten years ago if someone has said "one day Syracuse and Louisville will be in the ACC", that person would have been banned from message boards for being "too far out in left field". Those 2 schools , along with Pittsburg, going to ACC, proves that anything may be possible
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Ten years ago if someone has said "one day Syracuse and Louisville will be in the ACC", that person would have been banned from message boards for being "too far out in left field". Those 2 schools , along with Pittsburg, going to ACC, proves that anything may be possible

Uh, no. Louisville to the ACC was in the works for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time. Syracuse wanted out of the Big East for a while too. When VT joined the ACC, half the conference wanted them to add Pitt and it didn't come to fruition at the time. None of those were surprises. If you want a present day comparison, Cincinnati to the Big 12 is much, much further away from happening than Syrcuase/Pitt/Louisville to the ACC when the ACC first expanded.

Your team isn't magically better because you're afraid to have realistic expectations.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]