If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Expectations are so low because frankly, they have been warranted. In the 5 seasons prior to RMK making his return, we won more than 15 games a total of 1 time (including our Big South Championship in 2013). If you go back to the 9 seasons prior to that...Richie McKay had 2 15+ game win seasons...the other three coaches combined in that span? 2 (one being the 04 BSC Championship season). I think this bunch will probably be in the top 2-3 in the preseason with Reid and Kemrite leading the way as seniors, James being eligible and 6 juniors in addition to the talented freshmen in Barber, Cuffee and Newton and three sophomores who were major contributors as freshmen.
By cruzan_flame13
BJWilliams wrote:Expectations are so low because frankly, they have been warranted. In the 5 seasons prior to RMK making his return, we won more than 15 games a total of 1 time (including our Big South Championship in 2013). If you go back to the 9 seasons prior to that...Richie McKay had 2 15+ game win seasons...the other three coaches combined in that span? 2 (one being the 04 BSC Championship season). I think this bunch will probably be in the top 2-3 in the preseason with Reid and Kemrite leading the way as seniors, James being eligible and 6 juniors in addition to the talented freshmen in Barber, Cuffee and Newton and three sophomores who were Play Hockey major contributors as freshmen.
So Newton is still coming to LU? If so, I don't think he'll be playing his freshman season. I do think that the flames will be on fire next season. Now that the top two players of Winthrop will graduate this semester, the flames will be quite on top. Cuffee will be a Pacheco-Ortiz times three. I know we should focus on the present right now, but I see a bright future for McKay and the boys Play Basketball
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote:This is actually a pretty important game for our development as a team. Not only would we continue to get more tournament experience and practice time but also we have the opportunity to beat a team in the top half of the RPI which we haven't done all season. We have 20 wins but they have all been against terrible teams. We have consistently folded against better competition. I wouldn't go quite as far as to say it brings legitimacy to a season some are lauding as one of LU's best ever but it would give me some peace in knowing we are continuing to grow into a program we all thought we were headed towards after those mid 1990's teams.
Keep improving. Keep working. Never satisfied. Go out and prove yourselves in a game that counts for something.
Whoever is saying this is LUMBB best season ever needs to be drug tested. What thi is, however, is a successful season that EVERYONE should be pleased with. It exceeded expectations at every level, and when was the last time that has happened? No matter what happens next no one should be disappointed
The last time a season exceeded expectations? 2013 when we won the Big South tournament.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
cruzan_flame13 wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Expectations are so low because frankly, they have been warranted. In the 5 seasons prior to RMK making his return, we won more than 15 games a total of 1 time (including our Big South Championship in 2013). If you go back to the 9 seasons prior to that...Richie McKay had 2 15+ game win seasons...the other three coaches combined in that span? 2 (one being the 04 BSC Championship season). I think this bunch will probably be in the top 2-3 in the preseason with Reid and Kemrite leading the way as seniors, James being eligible and 6 juniors in addition to the talented freshmen in Barber, Cuffee and Newton and three sophomores who were Play Hockey major contributors as freshmen.
So Newton is still coming to LU? If so, I don't think he'll be playing his freshman season. I do think that the flames will be on fire next season. Now that the top two players of Winthrop will graduate this semester, the flames will be quite on top. Cuffee will be a Pacheco-Ortiz times three. I know we should focus on the present right now, but I see a bright future for McKay and the boys Play Basketball

I believe the only significant loss for Winthrop will be the graduation of Keon Johnson. I would think both Winthrop and Asheville will be ahead of us in preseason poll. The difference will be we will be more competitive against them (that we weren't this year) and will vie for the top spot with the two of them. Reid with his 4-5 points a game average will continue to be a role player but with James and Gardner getting more time with the possibility of redshirting Cuffee and/or McDowell with Homesley coming back.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
One thing that will work in our favor heading into 2017-18 will be having the balance more toward experience. We will have 8 players Junior or older on the roster compared to only 4 in 2016-17 (with 10 players listed as freshmen or sophomores) and they have played together so the chemistry will be there as well.

I was tuning into the Dayton-Wichita State game on Friday and I think I heard it mentioned that their seniors had been together all four years, something that is becoming less frequent in this transfer/one and done era
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SCAR wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:
ALAFlamesFan wrote:This is actually a pretty important game for our development as a team. Not only would we continue to get more tournament experience and practice time but also we have the opportunity to beat a team in the top half of the RPI which we haven't done all season. We have 20 wins but they have all been against terrible teams. We have consistently folded against better competition. I wouldn't go quite as far as to say it brings legitimacy to a season some are lauding as one of LU's best ever but it would give me some peace in knowing we are continuing to grow into a program we all thought we were headed towards after those mid 1990's teams.
Keep improving. Keep working. Never satisfied. Go out and prove yourselves in a game that counts for something.
Whoever is saying this is LUMBB best season ever needs to be drug tested. What thi is, however, is a successful season that EVERYONE should be pleased with. It exceeded expectations at every level, and when was the last time that has happened? No matter what happens next no one should be disappointed
Agree to some extent Haize but it is time to raise the bar back to where the expectations are much higher. For Liberty to be in the CIT and have it actually be an accomplishment means that the bar has been lowered considerably. I'm around programs like MTSU, UNCW, UAB, Davidson, Marshall, Old Dominion etc and I see how fast those teams can get things going in the upward direction in a short period of time. No reason why we shouldn't expect THAT from Liberty Basketball.
I'm not saying you are wrong. But from where LU was to where they are is a huge step. They have a nice foundation to expect a nice trajectory. LU has never been on the level the teams you mentioned are at now. But they always used to be a threat to make the Tournament. I'm skeptical that LU can get to that level of a constant Sweet 16 potential A LOT will depend on where LU lands in the FBS roulette
I'm just celebrating what has been built from the dumpster fire that was
By R i
Registration Days Posts
Mcdowell appears to be a legit in coming freshman. I expect bigger things from him than any of the Freshman coming in.

Newton will redshirt at LU, unless something has changed recently.

Cooks will be back at Winthrop, and he has ability to be more dangerous than Keon Johnson was.

Can Brock build on the foundation he laid ? He was the most hyped recruit , but likely had the least impact of the 3 freshman that received meaningful PT.

Will we lose anyone to transfer or other reasons this offseason ? I like the trajectory of the team, but each season brings its own challenges.
By Sparky Shuffler
Shockingly, there was no mention of tonight's game in Convo today. I'll be there along with some friends, but I wouldn't expect more than the typical attendance of 2,500 to 3,500. Regardless, the CIT is a great opportunity for these guys to continue to improve as a unit and to gain some valuable tournament experience. Success here will give them some added confidence when tournament time rolls around in 2018.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
[quote="Sparky Shuffler"][/quote]

I'll pick 2.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
R i wrote:Mcdowell appears to be a legit in coming freshman. I expect bigger things from him than any of the Freshman coming in.

Newton will redshirt at LU, unless something has changed recently.

Cooks will be back at Winthrop, and he has ability to be more dangerous than Keon Johnson was.

Can Brock build on the foundation he laid ? He was the most hyped recruit , but likely had the least impact of the 3 freshman that received meaningful PT.

Will we lose anyone to transfer or other reasons this offseason ? I like the trajectory of the team, but each season brings its own challenges.
I heard the same thing about McDowell. Someone IS going to leave just who is it going to be. Liberty is over the scholarship limit by 1. Talberts especially Ezra won't be seeing the court same with Baremore. You kind of expect one of three to leave

It will be interesting to see who stays or leaves in the Big South. Once the NCAA tournament is over and coaches start recruiting. You know players like Clemons and Teague are going to get poached.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Lane from Longwood has already announced he's out I believe.

To me Johnson was what made Winthrop go. Cooks is the better pro prospect but can be contained as we've done a couple times.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
Anybody else unable to watch?
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Playing well so far. Good to see some inside points. Disappointing crowd.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Flames up by 6 at the half...tuning in for the second after some "postgame analysis" of my two job interviews today.

Here's hoping we get a win tonight and athletics gets on it for the next round
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Sparky Shuffler wrote:Shockingly, there was no mention of tonight's game in Convo today.
This is unacceptable. Doc would have been all over it at TRBC and in convo.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Indeed...he would have blasted it in convo and had the coach and players on stage in both occasions. Probably even offered a Dr Falwell exclusive incentive if we filled the student section too
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
Talbert is giving us a most needed post presence. We've played a very good all around game tonight. Great poise!
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
That's a good win. There big man was really good. I thought the Talbert brothers should have got more time all year but what do i know.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Going to eat crow on this one. Great game from Ezra. Getting a win against a team like this just puzzles me on why they can't get over the Ashville hurdle. Samford has a legit big man who would give a lot of P5 schools fits and a guy who's a lot similar to Ahmad Thomas of Ashville. Plus the amount of 3 point shooters they have and one of the quickest guards Liberty has faced this year. :|
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Cool to see the guys finish off a game that could have slipped away. Not sure why Padgett kept pressing the entire game when it wasn't effective.

Pretty strong crowd considering the lack of promotion.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]