The most successful program on Liberty Mountain deserves its own forum. We give Coach Green and the Lady Flames their props while breaking down their run to the Big Dance once again.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke, thesportscritic

By Dalegarz1
Purple Haize wrote: I can learn to live with turn overs if you are up tempo. But if you are a methodical ball control team there is a premium of possessions. The lack of forcing turn overs can be mitigated by the rebounding differential that LU usually has.

I totally agree-I have watched this team extensively the past two years and the number and nature of turnovers is totally unacceptable.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Dalegarz1 wrote:Purple Haize wrote: I can learn to live with turn overs if you are up tempo. But if you are a methodical ball control team there is a premium of possessions. The lack of forcing turn overs can be mitigated by the rebounding differential that LU usually has.

I totally agree-I have watched this team extensively the past two years and the number and nature of turnovers is totally unacceptable.
I'm hoping one day to turn that type of knowledge into Upward Bound success Play Basketball :pbjtime :cheerleader
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
A couple reasons we don' force many turnovers IMO:

1) We lack team speed and athleticism (something I think PH noted in a previous discussion on the topic...possibly coach JK37)
2) We don't play an aggressive enough style of defense
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:A couple reasons we don' force many turnovers IMO:

1) We lack team speed and athleticism (something I think PH noted in a previous discussion on the topic...possibly coach JK37)
2) We don't play an aggressive enough style of defense
You can create a lot of TO's in a zone or without being athletic. But you hit the nail on the head (at least according to the Upward Handbook) when you said they don't play an aggressive style. You have to be aggressive and take chances to get steals
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Green isn't going anywhere. He has the ear of people that matter. He will go when he retires.
I think the only ear that really matters right now is IM. At least I hope that is why the management was willing to suffer ridicule for hiring him.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:I'm hoping one day to turn that type of knowledge into Upward Bound success Play Basketball :pbjtime :cheerleader
The clock is ticking! If you do't pull the trigger soon, ole BJ will get a coaching job before you do. :wink:
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
After #7 seed UNCA won the girls Big South tournament against of #1 seed Radford, the UNCA coach said, "God had a hand in this."
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:I'm hoping one day to turn that type of knowledge into Upward Bound success Play Basketball :pbjtime :cheerleader
The clock is ticking! If you do't pull the trigger soon, ole BJ will get a coaching job before you do. :wink:
I'm hoping next season I get the call.....
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
You might want to invest in a custom coach's stool, just in case you get the call. :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:You might want to invest in a custom coach's stool, just in case you get the call. :oldhag
You kid......but it's been discussed
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:After #7 seed UNCA won the girls Big South tournament against of #1 seed Radford, the UNCA coach said, "God had a hand in this."
Certainly had some miraculous wins this weekend. They won without 2 starters who missed the last half of the year. UNCA has a good system. They win with outhustling and out defending their opponent. My guess, they, Campblell and RU will be favorites next year since UNCA has a good coach and system (back to back titles) and RU and CU have their whole team coming back. We'll probably be 4th in preseason poll, again.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
We need to recruit better. Our talent level has slowly declined, for the past several years. We are probably 3 players away ,

When Radford and UNC-A are playing in Vines Center for championship, it's not a good feeling.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
For teams within leagues at this level, one player can make the difference. Year in and out, programs are one blue-chipper away from being incontention, and one key injury from being out of it. The margin for error is usually that thin. For Liberty, it was the Feenstra/Frazee effect. Say what you will about the supporting cast - and it was solid - but without Katie and Megan, those teams aren't as good, not are the supporting cast of players as effective. To win titles in Low DI, a team needs one stud.

Who was the last one Liberty had? Not Buer. Devon Brown?
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Id venture Devon...and Green has a good chance to make some significant impact as well...maybe not Feenstra or Frazee level but certainly not minimal.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
I always thought Brown was over rated. Her stats were what they were but she was not as good as the numbers reflect IMO
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:We need to recruit better. Our talent level has slowly declined, for the past several years. We are probably 3 players away ,

When Radford and UNC-A are playing in Vines Center for championship, it's not a good feeling.
An excellent point. One should also note that scoring more points always helps too.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
I remain cautiously optimistic. Quite frankly, despite playing in the BSC, it's pretty amazing that we were able to avoid a truly "down" year for so long. I like next year's recruiting class, and also think this past year's Freshmen have a lot of potential beyond the obvious standout in Green. I actually like that we will probably not have a target on our back for a change, and believe we can get back in the mix for a conference title again. If the FR PG Baker is everything advertised, she can be the difference maker in helping us cut back on turnovers and actually make opponents pay a price when they pressure us.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That's certainly possible PH. I mean I'm not in the basketball offices or there lifting or practicing with the team (and Id venture there is almost no one on here with the exception of Damien or the ASoR boys who talks to them on even a semi-weekly basis) so I won't claim some insider knowledge, but you probably could venture a guess that there are some issues within the team dynamic
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
The folks who left were not productive and were never going to be. When productive folks leave that's when you think of chemistry, or something else that we may not be aware of, like last year with Sanders, Alexander, et al leaving, folks who were productive.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:A lot of these moves might be because of chemistry.
That's such an ambiguous word. Apparently a while back we lost a couple of players because they had too much of it. :oops:

Looking at the 3 who are apparently not returning, the minutes tell the tale. They only played 137 altogether between them and most of those from Patton early in the year before she bricked her way out of the rotation going 4-25 from 3. These girls were not going to be on the floor anyway.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
That's such an ambiguous word. Apparently a while back we lost a couple of players because they had too much of it. :oops:

Looking at the 3 who are apparently not returning, the minutes tell the tale. They only played 137 altogether between them and most of those from Patton early in the year before she bricked her way out of the rotation going 4-25 from 3. These girls were not going to be on the floor anyway.
Yes a 'Don't date your team mate policy' is not always an bad thing
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:

Actually Patton is still on the roster and her limited minutes was more due to sustaining an ACL about 1/4 of the way into the season. Shooting 4 for 25 from 3 was not going to keep her out of the rotation. Green was incredibly patient with her and gave her playing time she really didn't earn for whatever reason. With the influx of a couple decent guards and the slew of returning guards I would think she will really have a hard time getting into the rotation this year.
By Chainsaw777
oldflame wrote: If the FR PG Baker is everything advertised, she can be the difference maker in helping us cut back on turnovers and actually make opponents pay a price when they pressure us.
Ashtyn Baker just finished her senior high school season with back to back TN State Championships, TN State Tournament MVP awards and the TN Most Outstanding Player in the State (Miss Basketball) for her division (only five players/divisions in entire state.) She led her high school team to five state Final Fours (PG in 8th grade), three State championship games (won 2) with a record of 139-23. She scored just under 2,000 pts, 810 assists, 676 rebounds and 753 steals while only averaging 24 minutes per game her junior and senior year. She had tremendous coaching in both high school and AAU and played in a large number of high pressure playoff and championship games. She was raised in a winning culture that always put team before self and she elevates the players around her. Ashtyn brings exceptional handles and a strong work ethic to Liberty that will hopefully help correct the turnover issues. She will have to adjust to the pace and speed of D1 athletics, but just finishing 6th in the state in both the pentathlon and the 100m, she should close the gap quickly. Video available at her recruiting site, http://www.ashtynbaker.com
Last edited by Chainsaw777 on June 1st, 2017, 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Question. She goes to school in MS yet won the TN State awards?
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]