If roundball is your blood, this is the place to discuss the Flames as they move into the Ritchie McKay era for the 2nd time.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Winthrop University
Rock Hill, South Carolina

WU Official Site

Pat Kelsey
5th Season as WU Head Coach

2016-2017 Schedule/Results

• Overall ..... 20-6
    Big South . 12-3
    Home ......... 9-3

NOV 12 - 4:00 P.M. FERRUM ........................................... W 66-47

PRESEASON NIT
    NOV 15 - 8:45 A.M. @ MANHATTAN COLLEGE ................. W 94-81
    NOV 18 - 7:00 P.M. @ FLORIDA STATE ............................. L 86-100
    NOV 21 - 8:00 P.M. @ ILLINOIS ....................................... W 84-80
    NOV 27 - 2:00 P.M. NEW HAMPSHIRE ............................. L 60-65

NOV 30 - 6:30 P.M. FURMAN ........................................... W 58-57
    DEC 03 - 2:00 P.M. @ DAYTON ....................................... L 67-83
    DEC 06 - 6:30 P.M. GREENSBORO COLLEGE ................... W 106-63
    DEC 17 - 2:00 P.M. @ HAMPTON .................................... W 86-79
    DEC 20 - 11:00 A.M. GEORGIA SOUTHERN ..................... W 86-84
    DEC 22 - 8:00 P.M. @ ST. LOUIS ..................................... W 66-55
    DEC 29 - 7:30 P.M. @ CHARLESTON SOUTHERN* .......... W 84-68
    DEC 31 - 12:00 P.M. RADFORD* ..................................... L 80-82
    JAN 04 - 7:00 P.M. @ HIGH POINT* ................................ W 80-74
    JAN 07 - 4:00 P.M. LONGWOOD* .................................... W 83-65
    JAN 11 - 6:30 P.M. @ PRESBYTERIAN* .......................... W 75-52
    JAN 14 - 12:00 P.M. @ CAMPBELL* ................................ W 72-63
    JAN 19 - 9:00 P.M. UNC ASHEVILLE* ............................. W 76-73
    JAN 21 - 7:00 P.M. @ LIBERTY* ...................................... W 61-48
    JAN 23 - 6:30 P.M. PFEIFFER ......................................... CANCELLED
    JAN 26 - 7:00 P.M. @ GARDNER-WEBB* ......................... W 72-70
    JAN 28 - 2:00 P.M. HIGH POINT* .................................... L 80-83
    FEB 01 - 7:00 P.M. @ RADFORD* ................................... W 81-65
    FEB 04 - 2:00 P.M. CAMPBELL* ...................................... W 76-62
    FEB 09 - 7:00 P.M. @ UNC ASHEVILLE* .......................... L 101-104
    FEB 11 - 12:00 P.M. GARDNER-WEBB* ........................... W 77-71
    FEB 15 - 7:00 P.M. @ LONGWOOD ................................. W 83-63
    FEB 18 - 2:00 P.M. LIBERTY* .........................................

Key Player
    #5 Keon Johnson
    5' 7" 160 lbs Senior Guard
    Thru 24 Games: Averaging 22.0 Pts, 3.9 Rebs & 2.7 Assists + 39.8 3-PT% (70-of-176) + 86.7 FT%

#12 Xavier Cooks
    6' 8" 185 lbs Junior Forward (Aussie Import)
    Thru 24 Games: Averaging 15.6 Pts, 8.3 Rebs + 31.8 3-PT% (27-of-85) + 48.5 FG%
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Sly has it right in his schedule above, but in case you're looking at other websites (ie libertyflames.com), please note that the game got moved to 2pm (from its original start time of Noon...the change was made earlier this week).
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
This will be a tough game. We need to play an even game offensively. We cannot afford to start slow or for key contributors to have 0 or 2 points. Dawson and Georgie will both have to come to play offensively. I am confident we will be ready on the defensive end.
This is the game that tells us how far our young team has come in the past month. There is a wide gap between the top and bottom of the conference this year.
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
ALAFlamesFan wrote:This will be a tough game. We need to play an even game offensively. We cannot afford to start slow or for key contributors to have 0 or 2 points. Dawson and Georgie will both have to come to play offensively. I am confident we will be ready on the defensive end.
This is the game that tells us how far our young team has come in the past month. There is a wide gap between the top and bottom of the conference this year.
I agree. I am looking for Cab/Reid to really be a spark plug and Georgie/Dawson to play with high IQ. This team has won plenty of games without Dawson scoring a lot, so we just need him to play smart.

Agree on the progression of the last month. Back-to-back 30 point wins on the road is insane, but the last 4 games have been decided by 3, 3, 5 and 7 points. Obviously it's great we are winning the tight games, but this team hasn't dominated like they did in that 3 game stretch. Not to keep using the same work, but obviously the opponent plays a factor. No double digit wins after those blowouts has me cautiously optimistic, but I am a little concerned this team has hit its plateau. Prove me wrong guys!

Liberty 67
Winthrop 65
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I may have asked this before but whatever happened to our resident Winthrop troll Realist who liked crowing when the Eagles came out on top?
By LUnpretty11
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:I may have asked this before but whatever happened to our resident Winthrop troll Realist who liked crowing when the Eagles came out on top?
Why wake the troll before the game? You should know to only wake the troll after LU wins :D
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
That is Scar's network. No word yet if he gets that assignment. But he's probably still as shocked in Atlanta about tofay's news as we are everywhere else.
By ALAFlamesFan
Registration Days Posts
And again we come into the building not ready to play... #youngteam #notreadyforprimetime
By R i
Registration Days Posts
lawrenceq wrote:Finally a couple of stops and scores
Cooks is out. When he is in we are totally outmatched.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
They def have more talent than us but mckay and co are being out coached as well every time we play unca and winthrop. Again were probably the 3rd best team but were just not even competitive against those 2. Also i dont understand why he decides to go walk on and play 4 on 5 when he gets upside. Those are good kids but they dont have the athleticism to matchup with winthrop.

Again im proud of where we are this year without homesley but we have to change up our style and get better players too to compete against these top and top out of conference.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote:They def have more talent than us but mckay and co are being out coached as well every time we play unca and winthrop. Again were probably the 3rd best team but were just not even competitive against those 2. Also i dont understand why he decides to go walk on and play 4 on 5 when he gets upside. Those are good kids but they dont have the athleticism to matchup with winthrop.

Again im proud of where we are this year without homesley but we have to change up our style and get better players too to compete against these top and top out of conference.
He plays the walkons to send a message to some of the starters who take a play off from time to time on defense. We just can't start down 14-2 and come back against a team like WU. We don't have the offense to match up with them. WU has the advantage with having the 2 best players in the BSC.
By Sparky Shuffler
Liberty ran into a buzzsaw today. We were outplayed on both ends of the floor. Our defense just didn't have an answer for their offensive versatility. Winthrop played a great game all-around.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I wouldn't go overboard. The talent is young all freshmen and sophomores and James and homesley are on the bench. from 2 wins to currently 13 wins in conference in matter of a span 2 years is no small feat. And better players are coming. You have Cuffee who is probably the best Big South signee coming in. Next year will be thee year.

As for the game, no one can match up with Cooks. So I wouldn't call it out coach. Not a good match up. As for UNCA. They have the shooters to beat the pack line defense and you can't do nothing about it. It's the way UVA loses.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]