Our Christian foundation is what makes our university unique. This is the place to bring prayer requests, discuss theological issues and how to become better Champions for Christ.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Just John
Registration Days Posts
Today Jonathan Cain spoke in convo. He is known for 2 things...ex band member of Journey and third husband of prosperity preacherette and former girlfriend of Benny Hinn, Paula WhIte. It's the latter I find quite concerning, and frankly embarrassing that my beloved alma mater would have this guy. This follows up having another prosperity pimp, Darrel Scott, speaking several weeks ago.

Both of these we're connections Jr. made through the Trump campaign. I'm not a big Pres Trump fan but that has NO bearing here. These two are way off theologically, at best. Paula White selling prayer cloths on TV...please! Jerry Sr. was pragmatic and reached beyond his fundamental Baptist roots, a trait I admired immensely. But I think he would have considered this a bridge too far.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
It's not a word to throw around lightly, but Paula White is a clear heretic. I can't believe the school would do this.
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:It's not a word to throw around lightly, but Paula White is a clear heretic. I can't believe the school would do this.
Jr. does what he wants.
By ECUnited
Registration Days Posts
Actually he is still a member of Journey. Although he did release a 'Christian' CD recently. Haven't heard it, but I don't expect it to be very 'deep' theologically, considered who he's married to :roll:
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
adam42381 wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:It's not a word to throw around lightly, but Paula White is a clear heretic. I can't believe the school would do this.
Jr. does what he wants.
I don't follow 'National Religous Leaders' like I used to Why do you say she is a heretic? Generally interested in what her heretical teachings are
Selling Holy Cloth is a tried and true Charasmatic/Televangelist fund raiser. I don't see an issue with having all sorts of different voices coming to speak at LU Convocation that's what it is there for. I do have to smile ruefully that he was playing an abbreviated Journey set! THAT should get the Old Guard rilled up ha.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Well the prosperity gospel is a heresy. The Word-Faith movement is pretty close (with many of the leaders and founders espousing heretical teachings). And she denies the Trinity, which automatically places you in the heretic category. And these aren't just personal, private beliefs...she teaches this to thousands, maybe millions, as pastor.

Oh, and that's contra to LU's long-held position about women pastors, yet from what I hear, Nasser referred to her as a pastor in his prayer.

LU's spiritual leadership is an absolute mess right now.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Well the prosperity gospel is a heresy. The Word-Faith movement is pretty close (with many of the leaders and founders espousing heretical teachings). And she denies the Trinity, which automatically places you in the heretic category. And these aren't just personal, private beliefs...she teaches this to thousands, maybe millions, as pastor.

Oh, and that's contra to LU's long-held position about women pastors, yet from what I hear, Nasser referred to her as a pastor in his prayer.

LU's spiritual leadership is an absolute mess right now.
Thanks for the run down! I don't know much about her so it was helpful and I was too lazy to Google. Ha
The first part tells me you must not have spent a lot of time around Pentecostals or if you have you toss most of them in the Heretic bucket as well. The Prosperity Gospel is part of the Word of Faith movement along with a host of other interesting things. I would hesitate to call it heretical. But it is certainly ripe for Charlatans to take advantage of, I've certainly seen it
I have 0 issue with Women Evangelists / Pastors / Preachers but am certainly aware of contrarian views and respect the case for it
The Trinity thing is certainly troubling and if I really cared what she said or she was a candidate for the pulpit at the church I attend would bear very close scrutiny The Divinity of Christ is sort the Foundation of Christianity. Not a lot of wiggle room on that
Thanks again !
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
I wouldn't mind if LU changed its position on women being pastors, but the prosperity gospel foolishness is of grave concern. Will Joel Osteen be next?

That said, what was the message her husband gave to the student body?
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:The first part tells me you must not have spent a lot of time around Pentecostals or if you have you toss most of them in the Heretic bucket as well. The Prosperity Gospel is part of the Word of Faith movement along with a host of other interesting things. I would hesitate to call it heretical.
I would not ever call Pentecostals heretics, but their theology and teaching make them very susceptible to heretical pastors and teaching. The prosperity gospel is not the gospel, and is heretical as it preaches something that's not the gospel. The Word-Faith movement is founded and based on heresy. Now, does this mean that all churches and people who attend churches in this movement are heretics. Absolutely not. I would say most have no idea what's going on, and are led by pastors with very poor (if any) theological training. So, yeah, big mixed bag. But the "leaders", big problems. I would also add IHOP and NAR to this.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:The first part tells me you must not have spent a lot of time around Pentecostals or if you have you toss most of them in the Heretic bucket as well. The Prosperity Gospel is part of the Word of Faith movement along with a host of other interesting things. I would hesitate to call it heretical.
I would not ever call Pentecostals heretics, but their theology and teaching make them very susceptible to heretical pastors and teaching. The prosperity gospel is not the gospel, and is heretical as it preaches something that's not the gospel. The Word-Faith movement is founded and based on heresy. Now, does this mean that all churches and people who attend churches in this movement are heretics. Absolutely not. I would say most have no idea what's going on, and are led by pastors with very poor (if any) theological training. So, yeah, big mixed bag. But the "leaders", big problems. I would also add IHOP and NAR to this.
I haven't been to IHOP in forever. I prefer Cracker Barrel :pbjtime
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:I wouldn't mind if LU changed its position on women being pastors, but the prosperity gospel foolishness is of grave concern. Will Joel Osteen be next?

That said, what was the message her husband gave to the student body?
Your third sentence is my only point on this matter.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
For many on this board that push us to be open to alternative lifestyles, and open to different point of views - there are many on here that have no problem continuing to judge people they don't know personally or know their heart.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Well that was an unfortunate reply. Stop judging our hearts, Proto.

Okay, seriously, who would it take for LU to associate themselves with or give a platform for you to finally say "well, you know what, I think they may have too far this time"? I'd love to know the answer to that.
Do you think it's even in the realm of all possibilities that Jerry Jr makes mistakes and may have poor judgment? Can we say it's at least possible?
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Well that was an unfortunate reply. Stop judging our hearts, Proto.

Okay, seriously, who would it take for LU to associate themselves with or give a platform for you to finally say "well, you know what, I think they may have too far this time"? I'd love to know the answer to that.
Do you think it's even in the realm of all possibilities that Jerry Jr makes mistakes and may have poor judgment? Can we say it's at least possible?
I don't have any issue with acknowledging that JFJR makes mistakes but I don't think you can ever argue that convo is one of them. Convo is not a church service and Liberty is not a church. Liberty is a school, and convocation is an opportunity. I'm not a fan of Steven Furtick, and I have little respect for the Osteen's. However, the purpose of convocation is not for students to be led in their religious beliefs. Maybe that was the purpose 20 years ago, but it's not that way any more and hasn't been for many years. They could bring in Bill Maher and I wouldn't care. In fact, I would appreciate it if they started bringing in even more diverse guests that do not align with what we hope every LU student believes. You don't learn anything by only listening to those who agree with you.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:I don't have any issue with acknowledging that JFJR makes mistakes but I don't think you can ever argue that convo is one of them. Convo is not a church service and Liberty is not a church. Liberty is a school, and convocation is an opportunity. I'm not a fan of Steven Furtick, and I have little respect for the Osteen's. However, the purpose of convocation is not for students to be led in their religious beliefs. Maybe that was the purpose 20 years ago, but it's not that way any more and hasn't been for many years. They could bring in Bill Maher and I wouldn't care. In fact, I would appreciate it if they started bringing in even more diverse guests that do not align with what we hope every LU student believes. You don't learn anything by only listening to those who agree with you.
Nobody has said or suggested that a diversity of opinion at convo is bad. But at least try to think through the significance of normalizing and approving of heretics at a Christian school.
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
VAGolf wrote:I don't have any issue with acknowledging that JFJR makes mistakes but I don't think you can ever argue that convo is one of them. Convo is not a church service and Liberty is not a church. Liberty is a school, and convocation is an opportunity. I'm not a fan of Steven Furtick, and I have little respect for the Osteen's. However, the purpose of convocation is not for students to be led in their religious beliefs. Maybe that was the purpose 20 years ago, but it's not that way any more and hasn't been for many years. They could bring in Bill Maher and I wouldn't care. In fact, I would appreciate it if they started bringing in even more diverse guests that do not align with what we hope every LU student believes. You don't learn anything by only listening to those who agree with you.
Nobody has said or suggested that a diversity of opinion at convo is bad. But at least try to think through the significance of normalizing and approving of heretics at a Christian school.
Allowing someone to speak at convocation is not normalizing or approving of anything.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:
ALUmnus wrote:
Allowing someone to speak at convocation is not normalizing or approving of anything.
Yes yes a thousand times yes to both your points Sweat
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:Well that was an unfortunate reply. Stop judging our hearts, Proto.

Is that a trick question?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:[youtube]MxGEVIvSFeY[/youtube]
TH Spangler wrote:[youtube]VcjzHMhBtf0[/youtube]

Love that song! :lol:
Not as good as mine
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball