If you want to talk ASUN smack or ramble ad nauseum about your favorite pro or major college teams, this is the place to let it rip.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
The first goal was a mistake by the US keeper. His first and right instinct was to play it. But than backed off and got caught in no mans land for a header. Granted it was a brilliant pass by Messi, but make up your mind man
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Now that second goal. I'm not sure words can describe it. Clever. Beautiful. Voodoo. Messi is amazing
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:Jurgen got scared and didn't start the young guys early.

I thought Ally was going to March in to the press conference and go after Klinsmann!
Messi's assist on the 4th goal is why he's the greatest player in the World. He could have shot, and probably scored, but instead deliver a point perfect pass for his teammate to score.
The US is better than it showed tonite.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Not that this matters but I'm in Europe for the first time in my life for work. I knew they loved soccer over here but I still underestimated their love for the game. The passion they have for it can not even be compared to anything in America. It's crazy. Every pub is full. It's been fun to see.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote:Not that this matters but I'm in Europe for the first time in my life for work. I knew they loved soccer over here but I still underestimated their love for the game. The passion they have for it can not even be compared to anything in America. It's crazy. Every pub is full. It's been fun to see.
Something similar happened to me when I was in Argentina. It's why I love things like the World Cup and its qualifiers
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
Last night went about how I thought it would. Here's my takeaways:

- Argentina is by far the best team in the world. No one in Europe compares at the moment
- We were very nervous and sloppy for the first 25 minutes
- We don't need more athletes; we need more skilled players
- Landon Donovan is annoying
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
VAGolf wrote:Last night went about how I thought it would. Here's my takeaways:

- Argentina is by far the best team in the world. No one in Europe compares at the moment
I'd agree with all of those. We used to be able to put better athletes on the field and out-work other teams, but that isn't the case anymore. Just look at the speed of teams like Argentina, Ecuador, and Chile. Although, having an athlete the caliber of Yedlin in the back is a big big plus.

Bradley just doesn't play like he used to, we need to stop relying on him. Dempsey was a ghost out there. I felt like he was just running around slapping Argentines all night. That was also one of the worst performances I've seen this team make. The passing accuracy and ball-control, and terrible mistakes in the midfield, made us look like a college team.

Zardes was the lone bright spot. That, and Yedlin's speed, but that's a given. Could have used Jones in there to knock some people around.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Unless you're on the sideline (or can somehow get inside JK's head) its tough to say with any real assurance what he was thinking/feeling preparing for this match. You can project and speculate based on what you read leading up to it or watching the match on TV, but its hard to accurately predict what is going on...

That said, my thought is the Yanks got caught up in the moment and were highly overmatched. Losing those three guys to suspension definitely played a role, but I still think La Albiceleste would have at least won 2 or 3-0 even if they all were available.

The Messi free kick has to be up for goal of the year. Guzan is 6-4, so if that ball is even a millimeter off, either it hits the crossbar or he makes that save. That was about as perfect a ball as anyone could strike and it came off the foot of the best player in the world.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:
Unless you're on the sideline (or can somehow get inside JK's head) its tough to say with any real assurance what he was thinking/feeling preparing for this match. You can project and speculate based on what you read leading up to it or watching the match on TV, but its hard to accurately predict what is going on...

That said, my thought is the Yanks got caught up in the moment
But how can you say, without, of course, being inside every player's head?
By VAGolf
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
VAGolf wrote:Last night went about how I thought it would. Here's my takeaways:

I'd agree with all of those. We used to be able to put better athletes on the field and out-work other teams, but that isn't the case anymore. Just look at the speed of teams like Argentina, Ecuador, and Chile. Although, having an athlete the caliber of Yedlin in the back is a big big plus.

Bradley just doesn't play like he used to, we need to stop relying on him. Dempsey was a ghost out there. I felt like he was just running around slapping Argentines all night. That was also one of the worst performances I've seen this team make. The passing accuracy and ball-control, and terrible mistakes in the midfield, made us look like a college team.

Zardes was the lone bright spot. That, and Yedlin's speed, but that's a given. Could have used Jones in there to knock some people around.
Agreed. I'm not a huge fan of Bradley and he cost us at times last night. Dempsey was completely awful at times...he has to play better if we're to compete in these games. We can't allow players like Dempsey, Zusi and Bradley to get away with crappy games like that. You can't play with a, "we're just glad to be here" attitude and expect to win these games.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
ALUmnus wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:

That said, my thought is the Yanks got caught up in the moment
But how can you say, without, of course, being inside every player's head?
Well definitively you can't. You can speculate (which is what I did) based on what you saw unfold on the pitch last night...this was the biggest game in US Soccer history to this point, facing the #1 team in the world, in your home country, in a major tournament.

Anyway, its back to WC Qualifying now for the Stars and Stripes as they have two matches left in this round: On the road against St Vincent (we should be HEAVILY favored) and at home against current group leader Trinidad. with Guatemala only a point back, and them playing Trinidad on the same day as the SV&G match, we need to be rooting for the Soca Warriors to hold court and eliminate them so that that final match 4 days later is more for placement than whether or not we actually have a chance to MAKE the World Cup
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:As if fans every do anything but speculate.
you can't really say that unless you get in every fans' head to see if they are speculating or not.
Then you can speculate about it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
PAmedic wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:As if fans every do anything but speculate.
you can't really say that unless you get in every fans' head to see if they are speculating or not.
Then you can speculate about it.
But aren't you just assuming he is able to get in their heads? And what if one of the heads he gets into isn't really a soccer fan? That would skew everything
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ok I clearly got us WAY off topic here...

As I said before, the focus now is on September. The Yanks are 1 point up on Guatemala with two matches left. I fully expect a win over SV&G. If Guatemala loses to Trinidad, the US is into the next round. Id rather not have our fate come down to September 6.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Ok I clearly got us WAY off topic here...

As I said before, the focus now is on September. The Yanks are 1 point up on Guatemala with two matches left. I fully expect a win over SV&G. If Guatemala loses to Trinidad, the US is into the next round. Id rather not have our fate come down to September 6.
They are not all Yanks. Some were born below the Mason Dixon line and I think 1 or 2 in other Countries
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Yanks is one of the nicknames for the US National Team PH...so even if they are not all Yanks per se...the team is known as The Yanks (much like Mexico's team is El Tri, Argentina's is La Albiceleste and Nigeria is the Super Eagles)
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:

They are not all Yanks. Some were born below the Mason Dixon line and I think 1 or 2 in other Countries
We are all yanks when it comes to anyone in Europe, Asia, South America, etc.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
flamesfilmguy wrote:
Purple Haize wrote:

We are all yanks when it comes to anyone in Europe, Asia, South America, etc.
When did BJ move out of the Country?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Stunning. Messi misses his first PK ever. Chile wins although it technically is a tie. Again. 3rd straight summer Argentina has lost in a final. 2nd year in PK's.
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Purple Haize wrote:Stunning. Messi misses his first PK ever.
Not sure where you heard/saw that, but it's not true.

That was a good game, but it gets harder and harder to defend soccer from scoreless draws when it always seems to happen on the biggest stages. Sure, Messi missed his PK, but that game was on Higuain & Aguero, who both missed clear opportunities.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]