This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

olldflame wrote:Liberty HS in Bedford that is. I chortle audibly.

Not kidding here, I seriously think he may have pursued this job just so he could say he was coaching basketball at Liberty again.

I seriously doubt he applied because he wanted to be able to say he was coaching for Liberty again. I think he's probably just as happy to be done with LU as they were to rid themselves of him. When it all first went down a decade ago...probably not. But now? Yeah, probably so.

He and his daughter are great coaches and although she was quoted as being sad to not have her dad as her assistant, she was happy to have him helping build the basketball program as a whole.

I honestly thought one or both would apply for the Randolph College position.
LHS used to be a POWER house but they've had a heck of a time trying to find someone to coach the last couple of years. I'm sure he will do fine. I'm not sure who is who anymore with all of the VHSL rearranging but Glass and Heritage are the class of the Group. If they go back to the old Seminole Glass and Heritage are still on top. But the LHS gym can be a nice home court advantage Especially if you play the infamous 'Norfolk St' press Play Basketball

Randolph is a tough gig. Not a lot of resources, very little tradition and your cross town rival is having a lot of success
justagirl wrote:

Not kidding here, I seriously think he may have pursued this job just so he could say he was coaching basketball at Liberty again.

I seriously doubt he applied because he wanted to be able to say he was coaching for Liberty again. I think he's probably just as happy to be done with LU as they were to rid themselves of him. When it all first went down a decade ago...probably not. But now? Yeah, probably so.

He and his daughter are great coaches and although she was quoted as being sad to not have her dad as her assistant, she was happy to have him helping build the basketball program as a whole.

As far as his wanting to be done with LU, that certainly wasn't the case a little over a year ago when he applied for the LU job knowing the person who would do the hiring was the same one who had let him go 8 years earlier. His sales pitch was the outrageous promise that if hired he would bring DeAndre Ayton, the top prospect in the entire 2017 recruiting class, to the mountain.
Last edited by olldflame on May 13th, 2016, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
justagirl wrote:

Neither one of them would have stood a chance at the Randolph job.
JK37 wrote:The Randolph job isn't a good job.

But I'm sure it is a better job than you assume. After all, faculty at Randolph do better than their Liberty counterparts. Liberty people seem to always put down our smaller D3 neighbors, but there is likely more we could learn from them then the other way around. Randolph would likely not be interested in Dunton, but he certainly would not be dissatisfied with what a school like Randolph would offer.
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
And that is irrelevant to the chances either Dunton would have had at the job.
But combine the fact it is a bad D3 job and the fact neither of them had a chance at it, and it gives you an idea of where father and daughter are in their coaching careers. Emilee is just a couple of years out of Longwood and is doing just fine to be a HS teacher and coach. Her career is ahead of her. Her dad will be starting his first real coaching job in 8 years. He had success as a HS coach in Alaska (2 state championships if I recall) before coming to Liberty to work for JEFF MEYER. Maybe he can do it again in Bedford.

BTW, is the opening at Randolph for the men's or women's team?
Olldflame, wasn't RD also a coach at VUL for a short while a few years ago?
Cider Jim wrote:Olldflame, wasn't RD also a coach at VUL for a short while a few years ago?
He coached a startup women's program there. I honestly don't know if it was even a paid position. Part time at best, hence the qualifier REAL job.
olldflame wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:
But combine the fact it is a bad D3 job and the fact neither of them had a chance at it, and it gives you an idea of where father and daughter are in their coaching careers. Emilee is just a couple of years out of Longwood and is doing just fine to be a HS teacher and coach. Her career is ahead of her. Her dad will be starting his first real coaching job in 8 years. He had success as a HS coach in Alaska (2 state championships if I recall) before coming to Liberty to work for JEFF MEYER. Maybe he can do it again in Bedford.

They had openings in both. I echo the sentiments of roger3 but athletically Randolph is not a good job. As a Faculty member it may be but as a WBB not as much. In fact the MBB Coach made a lateral move to a Conference school if memory serves
I'll clarify my statements by echoing PH: I'm sure it is a fine academic institution, but it is a dead-end coaching job. I'm not putting them down, rogers3, because they are a crosstown D3 "counterpart". It's simply not a good job. Lack of support, difficulty recruiting, etc. some D3 jobs are fine jobs, others are glorified club programs because the administrations don't really care of the program wins or not. Randolph is the latter. LC, on the other hand, is the former. Makes it a tough gig when you'll simply never be as good as your crosstown rival. The ODAC is a tough league; Randolph will most likely always be a bottom-feeder WBB program in the ODAC. I hope I'm wrong.
olldflame wrote:
lynchburgwildcats wrote:

Emilee ended up graduating from Randolph, she was only at Longwood for a year.

Randolph women's job has already been filled. Randy D would have less than zero chance at the men's job.
olldflame wrote:
Cider Jim wrote:Olldflame, wasn't RD also a coach at VUL for a short while a few years ago?
He coached a startup women's program there. I honestly don't know if it was even a paid position. Part time at best, hence the qualifier REAL job.
I think he ended up coaching the men too. Not at the same time as the women though as far as I know. That entire athletic department is a **** show though. Men's team ended up having to forfeit some wins under Dunton's tenure, 90% sure it was under him if he coached them.
Purple Haize wrote: They had openings in both. I echo the sentiments of roger3 but athletically Randolph is not a good job. As a Faculty member it may be but as a WBB not as much. In fact the MBB Coach made a lateral move to a Conference school if memory serves
Going from Randolph to Roanoke is hardly a lateral move in athletics. It would be an impressive feat if you could find a single coach knowledgeable on the two schools that would say he/she would rather be a basketball coach at Randolph instead of Roanoke. Better recruiting, better resources, better tradition, and they are going to be moving in to what is arguably the best arena in D3 this summer. If not the best it's clearly going to be in the discussion. Wouldn't surprise me at all if Clay Nunley has Roanoke back to being a powerhouse like they were from the 80s into the mid 2000s.

The Randolph women's coach left to be the director of girls high school recruiting for some recruiting service.
JK37 wrote:I'll clarify my statements by echoing PH: I'm sure it is a fine academic institution, but it is a dead-end coaching job. I'm not putting them down, rogers3, because they are a crosstown D3 "counterpart". It's simply not a good job. Lack of support, difficulty recruiting, etc. some D3 jobs are fine jobs, others are glorified club programs because the administrations don't really care of the program wins or not. Randolph is the latter. LC, on the other hand, is the former. Makes it a tough gig when you'll simply never be as good as your crosstown rival. The ODAC is a tough league; Randolph will most likely always be a bottom-feeder WBB program in the ODAC. I hope I'm wrong.
That's about the case for all their women's teams other than softball. Softball team has ben decent to good for what seems like a decade now.

The women's teams don't get any less resources than their men's counterpart as far as I know (other than probably head coach salaries), but they can't shake the decades of being awful. What they do have going in their favor is that ODAC women's basketball is pretty bad when compared to the D3 national scene. League is almost always a one-bid league (but there are much less at-large bids in D3 compared to D1) and rarely is there even a second team on the bubble. And the team that does get in rarely ever gets more than one win if they even get one win.

At least the men's teams got to start fresh, has worked well for some like basketball and soccer, not so much for lacrosse but D3 lacrosse is a completely different beast from basketball and soccer in terms of recruiting. Hell, has worked out great for men's soccer, soccer team has arguably been the best program in the conference for what seems like 5-6 years now. Basketball hasn't consistently been among the best but they are always at worst competitive nowadays, will be interesting to see if the to-be-named coach can keep it going.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]