This is the definitive place to discuss everything that makes life on & off campus so unique in Central Virginia.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
YAY for the new health sciences building. Just a suggestion, but maybe they can work with CVCC's program to train EMTs/Paramedics as well, and possibly CentraHealth for flight nurse/flight medic training.

So are we officially adding equestrian as a varsity sport?
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
All good projects, but free standing library would be nice, too. Study
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:All good projects, but free standing library would be nice, too. Study
That would be nice, but something like that really needs to be done right and would take a lot of money. Our motto is "Knowledge Aflame", let's show it. (And no, I don't mean let's go out and have a giant book-burning.)
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:All good projects, but free standing library would be nice, too. Study
What purpose would it serve? In all my COMS classes, it was mentioned that prospective students did not care about the library. Most research done today is electronic, and our computer lab should continue to grow as the student population grows or as the demographic demonstrates the need for expansion (i.e. if we get fewer students unable to access the internet through PC/cell phone/iPod/iPad).
jcmanson wrote:A 6-8,000 seat ampitheatre? Why? Isn't that what the Vines is used for?
Maybe he means Outdoor. The other possibility is that the vines has suddenly stopped being used for concerts and they are having them in the TRBC auditorium. Maybe this will be for concerts, etc. :dontgetit
By ALUmnus
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
What purpose would it serve? In all my COMS classes, it was mentioned that prospective students did not care about the library. Most research done today is electronic, and our computer lab should continue to grow as the student population grows or as the demographic demonstrates the need for expansion (i.e. if we get fewer students unable to access the internet through PC/cell phone/iPod/iPad).
Yeah, what purpose would a bunch of books serve at an academic institution?
Are most books available electronically? I don't know, but I wouldn't think so. Is Google still doing their book-scanning project? Students do most of their research electronically because it's easier, but really all they're sourcing are articles and journals, not books. If the school wants to raise the standards academically, then a library is important, at least it would be to me. But maybe that's just my preference.
ALUmnus wrote:
ATrain wrote:
Yeah, what purpose would a bunch of books serve at an academic institution?
Are most books available electronically? I don't know, but I wouldn't think so. Is Google still doing their book-scanning project? Students do most of their research electronically because it's easier, but really all they're sourcing are articles and journals, not books. If the school wants to raise the standards academically, then a library is important, at least it would be to me. But maybe that's just my preference.
If nothing else it definitely helps the perception of the school even if a large portion of the library is a computer lab.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
I've noticed they've been clearing out brush/trees like crazy on some land off of Sunnymeade. I wonder if that will be the equestrian center.
By flamesfan30
Registration Days Posts
stuff not mentioned here yet that is said in the champion

hancock will be torn down and replaced with the vistor center while the athletic stuff left in there will go to davids place, while the stuff in davids place (center for worship) goes to the 4th floor of demoss

new 700 spot parking lot between north and williams stadium.

lahaye will be expanded into where the north cafe is, which will be moved somwhere else

vines center screens and the central tile thing will be replaced with a giant 4 sided jumbotron scoreboard thing.

new trail for the cross-country team.

regents parkway will be expanded across the ravine, to intersect with the circle presumeably near dorm 7.

the equistrian stuff is for student activities.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
flamesfan30 wrote: new 700 spot parking lot between north and williams stadium.
This makes me weep.
flamesfan30 wrote: vines center screens and the central tile thing will be replaced with a giant 4 sided jumbotron scoreboard thing.
As much as I am an advocate for not believing anything a student tells me, for some reason I bought into the fact that the Vines roof couldn't support one of these. I'm such a fool.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'm so glad they're moving Hancock to David's place and not to Demoss like they had talked about. That's a good place for it, especially if they renovate/remodel/add-on to David's Place.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:I'm so glad they're moving Hancock to David's place and not to Demoss like they had talked about. That's a good place for it, especially if they renovate/remodel/add-on to David's Place.
I believe they have the center for Worship Studies in David's Place now. Where are they moving that?
TDDance234 wrote:
SuperJon wrote:I'm so glad they're moving Hancock to David's place and not to Demoss like they had talked about. That's a good place for it, especially if they renovate/remodel/add-on to David's Place.
I believe they have the center for Worship Studies in David's Place now. Where are they moving that?
hancock will be torn down and replaced with the vistor center while the athletic stuff left in there will go to davids place, while the stuff in davids place (center for worship) goes to the 4th floor of demoss
Read man :lol:
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
From the class of 09 wrote:
TDDance234 wrote:
Read man :lol:
Thanks. :oops:
Falwell says the changes include a brand new: health sciences building, visitors center, inter-mural fields and parking lots.
ok
Construction would also include demolishing some older buildings on campus and creating a traditional college green.
traditional college green??? this is new
pedstrian bridge across Wards Road is also in the works, in conjunction with the city of Lynchburg
heard about this too
"It's sort of a rearranging of a lot of our academic programs, shifting of locations and a beautifying of campus ," explained Falwell.
Beautifying of campus??? we are talking about LU right? I mean I'm all for it but it will be interesting to see how the 700 spot parking lot integrates into the beautification process :lol:

http://articles.wdbj7.com/2010-11-17/ma ... n_24837492
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]