LU is home of plenty of quality Club Athletics. From Hockey to Men's Lacrosse and more! Bring all the conversation for those clubs here!

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By phoenix
Registration Days Posts

I've been coaching our high school teams (we compete in Rocket League, Smite, and League of Legends each week). Esports is rapidly becoming a billion dollar industry worldwide, and I'm glad that LU is getting into it.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
phoenix wrote:

I've been coaching our high school teams (we compete in Rocket League, Smite, and League of Legends each week). Esports is rapidly becoming a billion dollar industry worldwide, and I'm glad that LU is getting into it.
This has been an absolute fascination with me. I completely missed this one. Never thought this could be a “Thing”. Who wants to watch someone else play a video game? I remember fights over who got to play Sonic and Double Dribble next. Couldn’t imagine you could make a billion dollar business and make a living having people watch you play video games. Regardless of my personal thoughts on it a tip of the hat to those getting it done

On a side note I totally nailed the rise of MMA 20 odd years ago. So I at least got something right!
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
I've been shocked at the spectators that some of these events pull in. Overwatch League streams rival some pro football and baseball games, and League of Legends draws a global audience for almost every match. I think as graphics improve it becomes more like watching actual people on the screen, so it's similar to watching any sporting event on TV. And the top players are making serious money at this - one Fortnight player is making hundreds of thousands of dollars a week (https://dotesports.com/culture/news/nin ... h-fortnite).

(As I type this, I'm watching the New Mexico High School Smite championships on Twitch. 40 people are watching a high school esports event on a Saturday afternoon.)
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Quiz Bowl is often called "the varsity sport of the mind," and I've often wondered if it could be a Club Sport. Study
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Quiz Bowl is often called "the varsity sport of the mind," and I've often wondered if it could be a Club Sport. Study
Bless your heart :D :lol:
By CCWMichael
Class of 20Something wrote:People like watching other people cook. Why not watch other people play games? Competition will always be part of our culture.
I just won't tell anyone what my neighbor likes watching ........
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:
Class of 20Something wrote:People like watching other people cook. Why not watch other people play games? Competition will always be part of our culture.
And we thank you for that!
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
CCWMichael wrote:
So, how is it you know what "your neighbor" is watching? :dontgetit
By CCWMichael
oldflame wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:
So, how is it you know what "your neighbor" is watching? :dontgetit
I can neither confirm nor deny and knowledge of any methods of acquisition of information :D :shock: 8)
By CCWMichael
ATrain wrote:
CCWMichael wrote:
And we thank you for that!
:lol: :lol: :lol:
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
we watch other people play SPORTS. this is the exact same thing. we love watching people who are really good at things do those things.
By RubberMallet
Registration Days Posts
there was a time, while i attended LU that I was in the top 100 players list on some ranking website for Counter Strike. I played that often and got pretty good. If only I had known the future in store....
By adam42381
Registration Days Posts
phoenix wrote:Mallett, I'm not even going to tell you how much Counter Strike:GO players can make nowadays ....
Yeah, it’s pretty insane what teams are paying per month.
By sonofpaint
I am late to this discuss since I just discovered ASOR, but I am the Jacen Garriss in that article! If anyone has questions or wants to learn more, I love talking about the program.
By Class of 20Something
sonofpaint wrote: September 12th, 2019, 2:26 pm I am late to this discuss since I just discovered ASOR, but I am the Jacen Garriss in that article! If anyone has questions or wants to learn more, I love talking about the program.
Welcome!
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
sonofpaint wrote: September 12th, 2019, 2:26 pm I am late to this discuss since I just discovered ASOR, but I am the Jacen Garriss in that article! If anyone has questions or wants to learn more, I love talking about the program.
I'm glad to have you here!
By Yacht Rock
Registration Days Posts
phoenix wrote:

Interesting. I've been asked to consider creating and coaching a team at my school. I'm considering it but am pretty busy right now with robotics, quiz bowl, and cybersecurity competitions.
By phoenix
Registration Days Posts
My school district partnered with PlayVS (http://playvs.com). They don't offer as wide a variety of games as HSEL, but they work with state athletic associations. I even get a coach's stipend from my district. The support is great, too.
By OviIn2018
Does Liberty offer scholarships for eSports and do they have a dedicated space for prospective players to compete? If not is there a timetable of when this will happen?
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]