By far the most popular Club Sports on Campus making them well deserving of their own home. Bring your Hockey Club discussion here. All D1, D2 and D3 Men's and Women's team will find a home here.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By vicfirth1989
Registration Days Posts
I understand that this isn't a LU sport but it would get lost in the other threads.

Me and some friends have been talking about Penn States ACHA qualification. Can they win the title this year??

My friends (and I) say no.
Hockey player says yes.

Does anyone have any answers on this. (keep in mind they move to NCAA in a year or two).
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
half their roster will be playing for them when they move up. I think a lot of people questions the eligibility because they have transfers from NCAA schools like the University of Alaska Fairbanks and has players who played in the OHL or OJHL (?). I think the ACHA prohibits players like that.

but yes they are eligible this year for the title and they should steam roll everyone.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote:half their roster will be playing for them when they move up. I think a lot of people questions the eligibility because they have transfers from NCAA schools like the University of Alaska Fairbanks and has players who played in the OHL or OJHL (?). I think the ACHA prohibits players like that.

but yes they are eligible this year for the title and they should steam roll everyone.
I think our gals will have something to say about that before they just hand them the trophy
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Well excuse me for being a bit confused by the title since both men's and womens are discussed here in this section (isnt Penn State's womens club team moving up too?)
By flamesfan30
Registration Days Posts
as far as i know major juniors and the CHL dont exist for womens hockey. actually i had never heard of women playing ice hockey until i came to liberty.

canadian major juniors are the premier hockey developmental league in the world. to have players that played at that level playing on a club team is simply ridiculous. club sports are not for pro prospects.
By flamesfan30
Registration Days Posts
wow. I didn't know all that, thanks. also interesting to hear that the ncaa throws the whole amatuer thing away when it comes to hockey. more proof that all they care about is money, i guess.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
We get the Ice Lions for two in two weeks at the Ice Center
By runningtuck
Registration Days
Actually the NCAA doesn't allow players who have played major junior either. There is a big difference between the OHL (major junior) and the OJHL (which is essentially tier 2). Penn State can have as many former OJHL players as they want. Liberty has had OJHL players in the past. Many teams in that league actually gear their program to preparing players for the college route.
By flamesfan30
Registration Days Posts
so in summary:

major junior (CHL; OHL, QMJHL, WHL) = unable to play NCAA college hockey

junior a (USHL, CJHL) = Able to play NCAA College hockey.

my question is, do junior a level players get paid to play hockey?
By redhot
Registration Days Posts
The question is what do you call being paid ? The Canadian major jr. A teams do not pay players per sey,, they will pay for the players billets (board) and give the players approx $55-$75 a week for exspence money. I know players that have played tier 2 jr A OJHL and jr,B GOJHL who have been paid "gas money" up to $15.000 for the season (thats right I said thousand) and yet they keep their college eligibility. But yes as long as a player dosen't sign a major jr.A game sheet (exibition or regular season) he is eligible to play NCAA.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]