By far the most popular Club Sports on Campus making them well deserving of their own home. Bring your Hockey Club discussion here. All D1, D2 and D3 Men's and Women's team will find a home here.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

Roanoke Times wrote:Feeding a hockey hunger at Virginia Tech
Fans have made do with no local team and limited ice time. Now they want more.

By Beth Macy
981-3435

The Zamboni told the tale. Or rather, its absence did — you couldn't find one anywhere near the Roanoke Civic Center ice at Sunday afternoon's hockey match.

The smattering of spectators who came to watch Virginia Tech's men's ice hockey club team wallop the University of Virginia 10-2 were as enthusiastic as they were back in the day when Roanoke had professional minor-league hockey — the gone-but-not-forgotten Rebels, Lancers, Vipers and Express.

Lowell Bashlor, 48, used to drive the Zamboni (and play drums during games) back when the Rebels were king.

Now he sighs as he watches the civic center's cheaper, non-Zamboni ice resurfacer work its smoothing magic. It chafes at him and other hard-core hockey fans that rival Liberty University's club team not only has its own ice rink but also has two Zambonis. (More on the legend of Liberty later.)
And here's where the shots at LU Hockey become more pointed ...
"If you want to see a really intense game, come back next Friday," Cagle advised. That's when Tech faces off against rival Liberty. Fans say Liberty players fight rough and have been known to cuss at the Tech-fan kids who bang on the penalty box. "Liberty holds nothing back. They're violent, but they go and repent on Sundays so it's all good," Cagle said. Last season, Tech and Liberty split with one win each, but Virginia Tech beat Liberty in the playoffs 4-3 on their way to win the southern division championship of the Mid-Atlantic Collegiate Hockey Association.

"They're what we call a little chippy," said Chris Arnold, director of Tech's hockey operations. "They like to do the extra hit and jab after the whistle's blown."
Click Here for Full Story
Now I haven't ever heard cursing coming from the penalty box, but our team is very chippy...its what we all went to go see...

I remember a game with West Virginia getting called off in Roanoke after too many people got kicked out but that is one of my fondest college memories, haha
Nothing really new from the Roanoke Hokie Times. That's just like a certain TV station around here that reports on nothing but Virginia Tech...

Although having said that, I'm sure it's true. When I played hockey in NC, sure I got a little ticked and said some things I probably shouldn't have. It happens. Although of course I didn't quite play at the higher level like BYD did.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]