Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
This weekend's homestand includes predestined to lose Presbyterian and one of our VBall archrivals, Winthrop. Presbyterian is having a rough season with a 9-10 record, 4-3 in the Big South, currently 5th.

Winthrop is on their second head coach since Joel left (anyone miss yelling "Sit down, Joel" as much as I do?) and are currently 15-8, 5-2, tied for second in the Big South. Winthrop is strong defensively this year.

The Lady Flames are on an 11 game winning streak, and have become the 2nd Division I volleyball team to reach 20 wins this season:

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm ... 28&TeamID=
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
WU's actually now on Coach #3 since Joel McCartney left (went to UGA before getting fired after 4 years, now at D-II Sioux Falls). Sally Polhamus was around for 4 years (leaving to become an assistant at Florida, now the head coach of Georgia State), Julie Torbett (formerly of UNCA) was in Rock Hill for 2 years before leaving for ECU, and now this is Bruce Atkinson's 2nd year.

The Eagles have been a little hard to figure out at times (as evidenced by a home loss to PC and a straight-set home loss to HPU, but also having a win on the road at Coastal and a win over a good Furman team)...I have no clue how they'll play on this tough trip this weekend to RU & LU.
By ATrain
Registration Days Posts
Oh yeah, I forgot Julie Torbett was at Winthrop for a bit.

Joel McCartney had a great thing going at Winthrop, but surprised he had to go down to D-II following his job at Georgia. I would love to see a Big South Conference where Winthrop, Liberty, Coastal and one other program (Radford or High Point???) consistently had 20-win seasons. The top Big South teams have done well OOC this year (Radford taking down Cal, CCU over Tennessee and South Carolina, Liberty over Virginia).

How young are the Eagles this year WEF?
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
The team is pretty young as there are only two seniors on the team, though they play key roles (Alina Sopizhuk leads the team in kills and Jessie Vicic leads the team in assists as the primary setter). When Atkinson came in last year, there was only one returning player on the whole roster (Rachel Lenz)...so he had to patch together a roster with a bunch of freshmen and a few transfers. So the transfers + Lenz are the older players on the team, while there is a big batch of sophomores (6) from last year's class and a pretty big freshman class that came in this year (4).
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Liberty is also pretty young with only 2 seniors and 6 freshmen. Some of the freshmen are getting a lot of playing time. Carolyn Douglas being healthy has really been a boost to the team with the play of the MBs (Vorster sisters) and OH Widener. Should be a good match Saturday.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Liberty wins 3-0 over PC. Sirena Vorster led the way with 14 kills and Caroline Douglas finished with fewer than 10 kills for I believe the first time this season (5)...what was most telling though was the Blue Hose finished with more errors (35) than total kills (27) on the night.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jade vorster broke the single season solo blocks record today and it was a team effort today with Caroline having a less than stellar day
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]