Here is the place for all other LU sponsored sports. Come here to post about: Men's/Women's Cross Country, Men's Golf, Men's/Women's Soccer, Men's/Women's Tennis, Men's/Women's Track & Field, Women's Lacrosse, Women's Swimming & Dive, Women's Volleyball

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Dan P
Registration Days Posts
Have the supporters of the men's soccer program given any thought to the AD's steps to begin to eliminate sports (male opportunities) as a way to become compliant with prong I of title IX?
At some universities .... the dropping of one program is usually followed by the dropping of others in the near future.
What are the soccer supporters thoughts on this?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Our thoughts are that you're disgruntled and want to see other people join in your misery so you're spreading rumors and crap that isn't anywhere near true.
By Dan P
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:Our thoughts are that you're disgruntled and want to see other people join in your misery so you're spreading rumors and crap that isn't anywhere near true.
Superjon --- I was addressing my inquiry to the soccer supporters / fans ... if you are one of them, then thank you for your reply.

Sure- like, all of the LU sports fans (you included??) I am disgruntled that the wrestling program is on the chopping block. I am sure as a fan of all Flames programs, you are disgruntled too??
I am not spreading any rumors --- I have no knowledge of any future cuts for any of the other men's programs (unlike BJ Willams who indicated that all men sports would share in the suffering).
What I do know (as fact) is that there is a pattern at other institutions that when wrestling, (or baseball, or men's soccer) is cut, it is usually a sign of things to come for some of the other non-football men programs.
Has anyone within the LU soccer community seen drawdowns on their budget / roster numbers? Do you anticipate that will happen?
Would it be a positive step for the non-football men programs to stand in solidarity with each other?
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'm not disgruntled that wrestling was cut. Something needed to be cut and wrestling made the most sense. It sucks for you and the wrestlers but for me it's no big deal at all. It happens. It's part of the business.

You're grasping at straws when you take something BJ said along with the "trend" at other schools without taking into account the reasoning wrestling was cut. They were without a conference. They weren't part of the Big South. We're not going to cut anything that could hurt our Sasser Cup scoring. We may take away a walk-on or two, or even take away a scholarship maybe, but we're not cutting any sport that's in the Big South.
By NG33
Registration Days Posts
soccer7 wrote:Soccer will not be cut.
What he said
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Jon's right...the only BSC schools that sponsor wrestling (that Im aware of) are VMI (Southern Conference) Gardner-Webb and us. I dont think youll see CSU, PC, Radford or any of the other school that dont already have wrestling jumping into the pool...and youd be hard pressed to have anyone take our wrestling team as an affiliate member (especially the SoCon and CAA, the two closest potential conference affiliations)...Soccer, baseball and the other olympic sports arent going to need to be shaking in their boots thinking "Oh no, they cut wrestling...what if we're next..."

Also, if you use something I say as a supporting piece of evidence to your point...youre giving me way too much credit.
By Dan P
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Jon's right...the only BSC schools that sponsor wrestling (that Im aware of) are VMI (Southern Conference) Gardner-Webb and us. I dont think youll see CSU, PC, Radford or any of the other school that dont already have wrestling jumping into the pool...and youd be hard pressed to have anyone take our wrestling team as an affiliate member (especially the SoCon and CAA, the two closest potential conference affiliations)...Soccer, baseball and the other olympic sports arent going to need to be shaking in their boots thinking "Oh no, they cut wrestling...what if we're next..."

Also, if you use something I say as a supporting piece of evidence to your point...youre giving me way too much credit.

Credit, where credit is due, young man. :)

by BJWilliams » Thu Mar 31, 2011 3:46 pm

As Mr Barber said in the interview...EVERYBODY on the male side is gonna see cuts in participation despite this as a result of the title IX issues...football, baseball, track and cross country...EVERYBODY

Liberty Class of 2009
2007 AND 2008 Big South Football Champions

BJWilliams
2008 Poster of the Year
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
I did say that...but just because everybody will see cuts in participation doesnt mean that their sports are going to be dropped in their entirety...especially the sports that are affiliated with the Big South (as much as the dislike of the conference has been indicated on here). You may see fewer walk-ons, maybe some reduction in roster size, but I dont think that he was indicating that any other sports are in danger of being eliminated.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]