This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
yeah and i can laugh at all of your retarded posts
By flamesbaseball20
Registration Days
Prototype and Checkmate you don't bring anything to the table here other than drama. Proto your statement about baseball not being about strategy is bogus that's statement of a someone who would support Royer, because his lack of strategy cost us at least one and maybe two Big South championships. Also, I guess our boys weren't doing the drills the last half of the 2006 season when we slipped from 1 game out of first in the BS to fifth! I'm here to tell you it's hard as heck to blow a 10 run lead with 4 innings to play and a whole pitching staff to work with, actually it's nearly impossible. I know because I was there and I was one of the guys crying my eyes out with those seniors that deserved that championship and they didn't get it because the whole time the game was slipping away instead of coaching and encouraging his team and making moves to win the game the guy stood in the corner with his hat over his eyes trying to pretend it wait it out afraid that if he made a move it would be the wrong one while his pitching coach badgered him to make a move. Oh, and that team's best reliever was available and hot in the pen ready to go, but no he sat on it and let freshman he pitched his heart out on two days rest go to 100+ plus pitches and hung him out to dry, then hung the first reliever out to dry, then put our best reliever out there with two men on in a 2-0 count. Walk, GS, game over. Then after the game he takes no accountability and that's all the guys wished he would have done is said "guys I probably didn't make the best move, i'm sorry, let's come back and get 'em next year." That's when he began to lose his job, because he lost all respect from the guys that were returning to play for him. And that's too bad, because in many ways he was a pretty decent coach. I'm going to stop here because i'm ticked just thinking about the UNCA game and LU baseball and sports is in a new era. And if in 2 years LU baseball is back to being .500 or worse then start getting on Toman, but don't get on him in his first year when he's dealing with some issues left over from the previous staff. Well you two morons please stop bringing this stuff up.
By checkmate
Registration Days Posts
truedrewdawg87 wrote:Then why don't you go post on USC's board and quit being a negative Nancy.
Prototype throws out facts and you call him negative nancy. Wow if we can't argue the fact then let's reduce to name calling.
Keep framing the debate to spin it. I am sure JB prayed before he told everybody he didn't apply at LSU. And before this unethical dealings with RD.

But hey we beat Columbia Lions today so the future is obviously headed in the right direction.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
checkmate wrote:
truedrewdawg87 wrote:Then why don't you go post on USC's board and quit being a negative Nancy.
Prototype throws out facts and you call him negative nancy. Wow if we can't argue the fact then let's reduce to name calling.
Keep framing the debate to spin it. I am sure JB prayed before he told everybody he didn't apply at LSU. And before this unethical dealings with RD.

But hey we beat Columbia Lions today so the future is obviously headed in the right direction.
Checkmate, Im sure your a great guy and all (although Ive never met you) but I really dont think youve done anything to endure yourself to this board. Whenever bad things happen youre the one leading the charge.

I dont know all the facts about what happened with RD or MR and their departures, and frankly, I don't WANT to know at this point. If youre not going to get behind the guys that are currently in place, you would do well to stay away from here. That goes for proto too.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
CM, whats done is done. why are you still crying about it? were all very sorry that your upset because your friend got fired. theres nothing that can be done. move on. there is no need to trash the new coach just because your friend got fired. its not toman's fault or mcKays fault that the previous staff got the boot, they are here to move the program in a new direction. none of us are going to change out opinion just because you whine about it constantly, so please go somewhere else to cry
By truedrewdawg87
Registration Days Posts
Checkmate, I hope you realize that you come across as a guy with the maturity level of a two-year old with ZERO sports knowledge.
By truedrewdawg87
Registration Days Posts
And I hate to even go here but Checkmate if you're going to start accusing the athletic department of unethical dealings with RD that's thin ice when you consider that you're talking about a guy that I know for a FACT represented Liberty SO WELL by getting frequent technical fouls for his language. I had countless people that worked in the athletic departments at Liberty and other schools confirm this to me on numerous occasions. I hate to bring that up but before you go accusing people of unethical dealings I think both sides of the story deserve to be told.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Wow BJ that was pretty harsh. My guess Sly Fox, BigSmooth, LUConn, PA Medic, and all the long time members of this site and even SuperFan would be pretty ticked that you are telling people to stop posting. Sounded like a threat too. Until you support LU as much I do with fan support and financial support, I would not challenge my love for Liberty University. Let's get something straight I support Liberty in anyway I can and always will - I graduated from here and love what the schools stands for, but I can and will continue to be vocal in support of a MY friends who get brought up on this board. I have been quiet about Dunton and Royer for sometime, but get upset when I read some stuff said on this board. If you want to let it go - fine don't talk about it, but for us its just not done yet. And how do you know how to gauge how long our frustrations with the firings should be? Being that Liberty had fired very little coaches in it's history and all of a sudden coaches for three of our four major teams get fired in pretty much 1 year and 2 by the a new AD. That's going to create a little negative chatter. I'm frankly surprised it didn't generate more and was pretty disappointed that we as fans didn't act that loyal. But hey, your right it happened.

So when someone or some people post something you don't agree with - DON'T ask them to go away, but be glad there are people on this board that are loyal to the end and have the guts to speak up for the ones who feel it's not there place to. You have any friends??? Let them get fired, have people bash them on a website and then lets see how BIG OF A MAN your are.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
truedrewdawg87 wrote:And I hate to even go here but Checkmate if you're going to start accusing the athletic department of unethical dealings with RD that's thin ice when you consider that you're talking about a guy that I know for a FACT represented Liberty SO WELL by getting frequent technical fouls for his language. I had countless people that worked in the athletic departments at Liberty and other schools confirm this to me on numerous occasions. I hate to bring that up but before you go accusing people of unethical dealings I think both sides of the story deserve to be told.
Then don't - because your sources are wrong.

With all these postings on this thread your making a pretty good argument against yourself here trueDAWG - you don't want to start getting on a Biblical Platform here and make it out that these changes were because we were trying to find people that better represented Liberty, believe me!!! You and others might be shocked at what you find out.
By The True Paradox
Registration Days
Oops I shouldn't have used real names there. Proto is either a poser or a moron because he doesn't really know much of what he thinks he knows.
Last edited by The True Paradox on March 23rd, 2008, 12:57 am, edited 3 times in total.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Wow true Paradox - great post - Did your Daddy help you write that? I guess us old gezzers don't know anyone at Liberty anymore. Glad to see your profession as a professional source is going well. Were you or are you still employed with LU when you started those rumors?
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
HA! A thread that is a complete joke that has

1) No post by me(until this one, but its too late this ones done for in the morning)
2) No post by TTL, or any of his aliases
3) Most of the kiddie fight being fought by adults

Anyway, if RD's contract ran out, LU has no obligation to him. Liberty is in no way required to give him a deal to extend his time at LU. With RD's performance, that's a judgement call made by JB. If you look at it from his view, he spent the past couple years at South Carolina, a very successful school(Being in the SEC I would think requires better coaches, facility, staff, etc). He takes over the AD job at Liberty, and maybe, just maybe, he feels as if men's basketball can do better with somebody else at the helm. Maybe he just wants to clean out the programs that arent doing well (Baseball doesnt count, if I am correct that was a different issue).

So anyway JB's options are let RD go and not resign him, hire him for a year or two, or sign him for a long time. The short term hire is tough in basketball because it sends the message that RD is still in hot water. The long term doesnt work because from JB's perspective, and for that matter students(mine), RD hasnt shown that he can bring us farther than where we were then. Good people come(DD LW) but dont stay. Then we take a bunch of misfits (good ones for the most part) and sling them together and hope it works. There's no consistency from year to year. And for JB to decide he wants better than what RD has broght to the table in the past 5 years then fine. Ill support him on that.

Maybe he didnt handle the situation well with comments and other things, but dont let your friendship with RD and other coaches deter you from the thought that were in a new direction. Proto, I think you mentioned the fact that no one was fired and now we have 3 in 2 years. If Liberty University is looking to get better, to become a great program, then some things are going to have to change and for some people thats going to mean a change of scenery. Its unfortunate, but who is to say that the people we have here dont love LU as much as the former people? Are you going to tell me that McKay looks as this place as just a job? I dont know a whole lot about the baseball situation, but from what Ive seen in basketball were going in a better direction(so far, considering attendance, budget, and the overall outlook on the program).
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I have no problem with people disagreeing and posting things that are negative if they're based on facts. What I have a problem with is people who obviously support a coach instead of the school and never say anything positive, rather only show up when things are going bad.
By checkmate
Registration Days Posts
Schfourteenteen wrote:HA! A thread that is a complete joke that has

1) No post by me(until this one, but its too late this ones done for in the morning)
2) No post by TTL, or any of his aliases
3) Most of the kiddie fight being fought by adults

Anyway, if RD's contract ran out, LU has no obligation to him. Liberty is in no way required to give him a deal to extend his time at LU. With RD's performance, that's a judgement call made by JB. If you look at it from his view, he spent the past couple years at South Carolina, a very successful school(Being in the SEC I would think requires better coaches, facility, staff, etc). He takes over the AD job at Liberty, and maybe, just maybe, he feels as if men's basketball can do better with somebody else at the helm. Maybe he just wants to clean out the programs that arent doing well (Baseball doesnt count, if I am correct that was a different issue).

So anyway JB's options are let RD go and not resign him, hire him for a year or two, or sign him for a long time. The short term hire is tough in basketball because it sends the message that RD is still in hot water. The long term doesnt work because from JB's perspective, and for that matter students(mine), RD hasnt shown that he can bring us farther than where we were then. Good people come(DD LW) but dont stay. Then we take a bunch of misfits (good ones for the most part) and sling them together and hope it works. There's no consistency from year to year. And for JB to decide he wants better than what RD has broght to the table in the past 5 years then fine. Ill support him on that.

Maybe he didnt handle the situation well with comments and other things, but dont let your friendship with RD and other coaches deter you from the thought that were in a new direction. Proto, I think you mentioned the fact that no one was fired and now we have 3 in 2 years. If Liberty University is looking to get better, to become a great program, then some things are going to have to change and for some people thats going to mean a change of scenery. Its unfortunate, but who is to say that the people we have here dont love LU as much as the former people? Are you going to tell me that McKay looks as this place as just a job? I dont know a whole lot about the baseball situation, but from what Ive seen in basketball were going in a better direction(so far, considering attendance, budget, and the overall outlook on the program).
Look you characterize like RD hadn't done anything...please we will see if the current staff can go 2-1-2-3 in their time. Plus JB was dirt digging inorder to make his hires. Their was no support by him for either RD or MR it was cut throat politics not a spiritual revelation of a new direction. Of course he had to try and find someone who would reflect positive from a Christian standpoint. Maybe all this so-called bigtime experience was a wrong perception on how to did it done at a place like LU...Pinder's volleyball program was on the ropes but in processs of winning a championship...RD had got us one from the deep depth and was in position to win another one with his ragtags.(..another negative frame by Schfourteenteen ). You now have players saying they would have done better with RD still in place. MR was returning his best team to date. Let's come in and make this about me was JB mode. He could do that because DR. Falwell gave him the power with the $$$. So people can be loyal to the institution and remain loyal to men who they know well and saw them toil to serve our institution only to have an inexperienced first time AD with an inflated ego come in an execute two professional assassinations. The hype of big time national searches will quickly fade if the results can't match the expectations and if so JB should be the receive his own order to find a new position and we will see what bigtime progam comes after a fired LU AD.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
prototype wrote:Wow BJ that was pretty harsh. My guess Sly Fox, BigSmooth, LUConn, PA Medic, and all the long time members of this site and even SuperFan would be pretty ticked that you are telling people to stop posting. Sounded like a threat too. Until you support LU as much I do with fan support and financial support, I would not challenge my love for Liberty University. Let's get something straight I support Liberty in anyway I can and always will - I graduated from here and love what the schools stands for, but I can and will continue to be vocal in support of a MY friends who get brought up on this board. I have been quiet about Dunton and Royer for sometime, but get upset when I read some stuff said on this board. If you want to let it go - fine don't talk about it, but for us its just not done yet. And how do you know how to gauge how long our frustrations with the firings should be? Being that Liberty had fired very little coaches in it's history and all of a sudden coaches for three of our four major teams get fired in pretty much 1 year and 2 by the a new AD. That's going to create a little negative chatter. I'm frankly surprised it didn't generate more and was pretty disappointed that we as fans didn't act that loyal. But hey, your right it happened.

So when someone or some people post something you don't agree with - DON'T ask them to go away, but be glad there are people on this board that are loyal to the end and have the guts to speak up for the ones who feel it's not there place to. You have any friends??? Let them get fired, have people bash them on a website and then lets see how BIG OF A MAN your are.
As someone who has been at this school for as long as I have I have seen plenty proto. Yeah I havent supported the school financially as much and I havent been to as many athletic events but the fact is that doesnt mean I dont know about supporting LU. What I said was not meant to be a threat. I was simply putting in words my feelings about the fact that whenever a discussion turns to RD or MR or JB, CM or you seem to be right in the middle of it, and honestly Im tired of the same junk being brought into almost every single discussion.

RD was a great guy. I remember the first time I met him personally was when I tried to walk on with the men's basketball team (yes, I actually tried to make the men's basketball team at one point) Even though I got cut, he still remembered who I was and in the last couple years even offered to help me find a job (ironically enough through you at ESPN Radio here in the area), so I have my own connections with him. Was I upset that things turned out the way they did? For a while, yeah. But, that being said, I understood that sometimes change is needed, and I decided instead of sitting around stewing over it, I got excited about the new coach and made every intention to support him as best I can. I just want to see everybody take all this venom and vitriol to a much more private setting, instead of poisoning almost every discussion on this board with it.
By checkmate
Registration Days Posts
[quote

So when someone or some people post something you don't agree with - DON'T ask them to go away, but be glad there are people on this board that are loyal to the end and have the guts to speak up for the ones who feel it's not there place to. You have any friends??? Let them get fired, have people bash them on a website and then lets see how BIG OF A MAN your are.[/quote]

BJ- proto is right on with his one. Sometimes in life you can move forward and still maintain your past loyalties.
By checkmate
Registration Days Posts
truedrewdawg87 wrote:Checkmate, I hope you realize that you come across as a guy with the maturity level of a two-year old with ZERO sports knowledge.
the name calling is impressive :koolaid
By checkmate
Registration Days Posts
truedrewdawg87 wrote:And I hate to even go here but Checkmate if you're going to start accusing the athletic department of unethical dealings with RD that's thin ice when you consider that you're talking about a guy that I know for a FACT represented Liberty SO WELL by getting frequent technical fouls for his language. I had countless people that worked in the athletic departments at Liberty and other schools confirm this to me on numerous occasions. I hate to bring that up but before you go accusing people of unethical dealings I think both sides of the story deserve to be told.
Let's demonize :flamingdevil RD with the false language thing to justify real unethical behavior.
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
checkmate wrote:
Their was no support by him for either RD or MR

So people can be loyal to the institution and remain loyal to men who they know well and saw them toil to serve our institution only to have an inexperienced first time AD with an inflated ego come in an execute two professional assassinations.

The hype of big time national searches will quickly fade if the results can't match the expectations and if so JB should be the receive his own order to find a new position and we will see what bigtime progam comes after a fired LU AD.
RD's contract was up, therefore not an assasination. LU went in a different direction, for better or worse.

Sorry I didnt talk about the good stuff RD has done, because he did a good job in his first couple years. My opinion will stand that in the final two years (the years JB saw him in action) he did not earn himself a three or four year contract and because one year deals dont work he was not given the option to stay.

If results dont match the expectations and JB is bad at being the Athletic Director then he'll be gone soon. But at this point the future looks up, and in 2 or 3 years well see what happens and go from there. You could very well be right though so were gonna just have to wait it out and see.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
An awful lot of basketball talk for the baseball forum, and we have a seperate thread for some of this stuff.

:offtopic
By Schfourteenteen
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote:An awful lot of basketball talk for the baseball forum, and we have a seperate thread for some of this stuff.

:offtopic
Im just assuming its gonna be locked because we have it.
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
I think we need to all go to the Colorado State forum and rip them for letting go of Dale. I mean, look at how they did without him. JB must have been the AD last year there. And they should have hired RD, I mean, he is the CLASS of AAU Girls...errr...Collegiate Coaches!

(It was only a matter of time, 14, before I made my post. :P )
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
if RD was so great, why isn't he coaching now? AAU girls doesn't count
he wasn't fired, he just didn't have his contract renewed.

and all of you supporters must be blind to all of the negative. the student body didn't like him, and he was a jerk to people. i'm speaking from experience too, so you can't say i don't know what i'm talking about. i've also personally heard him cuss in a game, so don't act like he had a perfect mouth and people are making it up because they aren't.
By truedrewdawg87
Registration Days Posts
Prototype if I'm SOOOO wrong about my accusations toward RD then I guess my sources who were sitting courtside at EVERY Liberty game for the past 5 or 6 seasons home and away must have 'misrembered,' what they clearly heard come out of the man's mouth. These are employees of the university we're talking about. Also, maybe I'm alone here but as a fan of the program I don't want a coach who rarely if ever took ANY responsibility for a loss. I sat and interviewed RD countless times after games during my time on campus and I never ONCE heard him do ANYTHING but blame his players for losing. Talk about a stand up guy. Yeah, don't we all wish he was still around.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
OK, we long since have quit talking about these games. Frankly I am tired of the discussion that came out of it and we have gotten way off topic. Keep discussions to proper threads whenever possible, guys.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]