This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Ok, I dont profess to be an expert on any of this other stuff but I thought this was a discussion of the game yesterday...but I will take a moment and say this before trying to bring things back to where they should be...

checkmate- Im sure youre a standup guy and all, but Ive noticed that you dont offer up a whole lot of substantive discussion whenever you post. All you seem to do is bring up stuff about previous coaches and all it does is poison every thread its mentioned in. MR was a great coach, I won't discount that (I have been at LU since 2002 and I've bore witness to some amazing seasons), but this is not Royer's team anymore, just like the basketball team isn't RD's anymore. This is Storm's team now. How things shook out at the end of last spring may not have gone over well with you (and some others), but what's done is done. Its a page in the history books now. What needs to happen is we need to get behind the people who are in charge now, do our best to put aside any issues we may have with whoever, and support the attempts being made to turn Liberty into a championship winning program in all the sports. If you want to discuss matters as they relate to previous coaches or issues with the administration you can take it to PM, or even better, why not sit down with guys like Jerry Jr and Mr Barber and talk it out instead of continually airing the dirty laundry on a message board.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
checkmate wrote:
thesportscritic wrote:please shut the *&)&)** up. you are still a bitter man and it will only hurt you down the road[/quote

Again I am not bitter and obviously not who you think I am. I thought this was a discussion board. When is the last time you spoke with the Royers to see how they are doing as a family?
then that means that you are his side kick made to believe whatever your buddies say.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:why not sit down with guys like Jerry Jr and Mr Barber and talk it out instead of continually airing the dirty laundry on a message board.
BJ, I liked the rest of what you said, but you can't really expect this statement to happen. Those two men are way too busy and have way too many things going on for them to sit down and talk to every single person who has second-hand stories and don't like them.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
nice points beej. there will always be some fans that will whine about everything. checkers would fit in well with the nc state nation who are still in love with jimmy v.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for that SJ and smoothie. I was away from my computer for much of yesterday so I just came into this when I got up this morning, and I don't like seeing yet another game discussion turn into everybody digging their foxholes and taking sides.
By checkmate
Registration Days Posts
bigsmooth wrote:nice points beej. there will always be some fans that will whine about everything. checkers would fit in well with the nc state nation who are still in love with jimmy v.
No really I prefer old fashion values and can do my own homework. Because I disagree with the way things are handled and the dirt digging tactics to move on people. It all started with a comparison of 16 games. And big smooth LU claims to be more than just a business.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Look CM - The big deal to me with 92% of your posts is your refusal to MOVE ON! I am sure you are not the only one who didn't agree with RD and MR's termination (although you are in a small minority). The difference is most of these folks chose being a FLAMES fan over being bitter and repetitive. You either want to be a fan of this program and the way it is heading or you don't. I suggest that you pipe down and give JB, RMK, and Storm a chance. If you don't want to, then I suggest finding some program that keeps their coaches forever for loyalty purposes only. i suggest looking at the very bottom of the standings.
We would all love to have you as part of the open discussion, and we all disagree with parts of the program. Most of us chose to voice our opinion and move on!
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
BTW - If anyone expects a first year ALL NEW coaching staff to come in and dominate anywhere, they are nuts. It does happen but it's rare. Real team building takes time.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote:
checkmate wrote:You obviously see it different; I suppose that 9 wins with a veteran team is better than 12 or 13. 4th is better than 3rd so I must be not in touch with the facts.
unless you have been to a LU baseball game this season shut up
This is the best comeback you could think of???
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
ATrain wrote:
checkmate wrote:After 16 games:

2006 13-3 Matt Royer
2007 12-4 Matt Royer
2008 9-7 Jim Toman

Looks like everything JB touches moves in the wrong direction.
SO NOT TRUE...our tennis teams are doing better now than they did under Larry Hubbard. Last season, the guys doubled their win total from the season before and would have an even better record if it weren't for season-ending injuries. Our girls had the 17th-ranked recruiting class in the nation, have beaten 3 teams that beat us last year (Coastal Carolina, Longwood, UNCW), beaten 2 teams with recruiting classes ranked higher than ours (UNCW, George Washington). Jeff Barber is doing great as an AD, and I have no doubt our Baseball team will come out of this slump.
Let me put this as nicely as i can......NO ONE BUT YOU CARES ABOUT TENNIS :D
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
Knucklehead wrote:LU has Tennis teams?
I think they are club sports. Kind of like pick up teams.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Rocketfan wrote:
thesportscritic wrote:
checkmate wrote:You obviously see it different; I suppose that 9 wins with a veteran team is better than 12 or 13. 4th is better than 3rd so I must be not in touch with the facts.
unless you have been to a LU baseball game this season shut up
why can you do better :roll:
By matshark
Registration Days Posts
It is wrong to treat people this way in any organization especially if we represent the "love thy neighbor as yourself" of Matthew.
Yeah, hey, you know when I stopped believing that love your neighbor as yourself stuff... (especially around here?) as soona si entered the real world and had dealings with "christian" people in a "christian" environment... its great and all, but unfortunately, you know what I really found, that its mostly used as a way to try and take advantage of people like myself who really DO try to treat others correctly.

So as soon as anybody in a 'Christian' organization says that to me, I'm automatically looking for what they are trying to screw me over on. Sad but true. there's only ONE organization that I'd believe it from, and it happens to be in MO. And I only believe it from there because of how they actually act and treat people, not because of what they say.

Call me cynical... and take a wild guess how i got that way...

(ok, rant over)

and as far as tennis and other lower profile teams doing better, I believe that is a direct result of an overall emphsis of improvement across the boards. Otherwise, the tennis teams would still have a terrible coach and be the laughingstock of the Big South, along with golf, etc... It's easy just to focus on improving the BIG sports, but showing improvement in the smaller sports shows dedication to excellence across an entire department, and that I believe is to be recommended. [/quote]
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Knucklehead wrote:I suggest finding some program that keeps their coaches forever
I hear UNCA is looking for fans.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
it is still a business checkers, whether christian run or not and the quicker you realize that the better you will be.i would get out from the bubble. things have changed. LU is not the first school to fire coaches or have them resign. like SJ said it is not just wins and losses. again we all know where your allegiances are so let it rest man.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote:
Rocketfan wrote:
thesportscritic wrote: unless you have been to a LU baseball game this season shut up
Yes, a lot better.
By LUconn
Registration Days Posts
man, this thread is really something else. I'm glad I stumbled accross it. It's got a few different levels of ridiculousness.

:popcorn
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:
thesportscritic wrote:
Rocketfan wrote: This is the best comeback you could think of???
Yes, a lot better.
LET'S HEAR IT!
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
I'mmmmmm back...It's been a while and some of you will hate to see my name pop up here in a baseball forum, but hey -

Be easy on CM - he makes some good points, and yes we have to move on now at Liberty Baseball, but that doesn't change the fact that a fellow Christian was hurt here by politics. I'm not going to argue the facts here between Toman and Royer, but will say, the Baseball Team is having more fun and the practices are more structured, but last year everyone argued the soft schedule and that's why we started so hot. 2008 - Same Team, Easier Schedule, Worse Record...you do the math.

One thing has definitely changed - we are more business like and less "winning souls for Christ" like. That's all I'm going to say:)

Last thing I'm going to say: 4 Recruits that were coming to play for Royer and backed out when Royer got fired, signed to play with Georgia Tech, U of Illinois, and South Carolina. Not bad schools, huh?

Won't post again in the baseball forum - Let the fireworks continue!
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
CM does make some descent points and everyone is entitled to their own opinion even though he is from Winthrop but the way I see it our baseball team could very easily be 13-3 instead of the current 9-7 with some of these close losses to Colonial conference teams and Rider. I think that things will get better and we will return to form of earlier in the year and will do well against teams on our schedule this year and in years to come. We have a veteran team and Jim Toman has some excellent credentials coming in here. No fair to judge him so early on and we should just give him a chance to work out the bugs whatever they may be. Right now I will have a "wait and see what happens" attitude.
By JDUB
Registration Days Posts
what a dumb thread. arguing because a team with a completely new coaching staff has hit a rough spell. at least wait until the first year is over, goodness some of you guys are rough. CM if you supported LU sports half as much as you hated JB you'd be a great fan!
2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]