This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
I just heard this on WSET from Dennis Carter's own mouth, so it must be true! (and Knuckle didn't even leak this to FF first).
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
Has been on LibertyFlames.com all day. :P
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Thanks, Lefty. I looked there as soon as I heard from DC, but my dial-up at home is slower than Fumble jogging around campus.

http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm? ... 17&TeamID=
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
ToTheLeft wrote:Has been on LibertyFlames.com all day. :P
Why didn't you post it then?
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
jcmanson wrote:
ToTheLeft wrote:Has been on LibertyFlames.com all day. :P
Why didn't you post it then?
Laziness.
By ToTheLeft
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:Thanks, Lefty. I looked there as soon as I heard from DC, but my dial-up at home is slower than Fumble jogging around campus.

http://www.libertyflames.com/index.cfm? ... 17&TeamID=

:oldhag humor, love it.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
The lights will be installed at Worthington Stadium, the home of the Flames, by Musco Sports Lighting. Founded in 1976, Musco is recognized as a world-class leader in sports lighting, with lighting systems installed around the globe. The company, based in Oskaloosa, Iowa, expects to complete the project in time for the first game of a three-game Big South series with defending conference champion Coastal Carolina, March 28.

The installation of lights is one of several improvement projects to Worthington Stadium and the adjacent Crowder/Muckel Field House over the past year.
What other "improvements" have been made over the past year?
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I thought that adding more seats would have been a possiblity. Several years ago they mentiond addng them on the 3rd base side. The only improvments that I know of are improved lighting in the batting cages and new flooring in the locker rooms
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
The lights will be installed at Worthington Stadium, the home of the Flames, by Musco Sports Lighting. Founded in 1976, Musco is recognized as a world-class leader in sports lighting, with lighting systems installed around the globe. The company, based in Oskaloosa, Iowa, expects to complete the project in time for the first game of a three-game Big South series with defending conference champion Coastal Carolina, March 28.

The installation of lights is one of several improvement projects to Worthington Stadium and the adjacent Crowder/Muckel Field House over the past year.
What other "improvements" have been made over the past year?
Roofing. New flooring. Stuff to make the place more "livable." The Fieldturf collar was placed around the plate area last year...and over the winter, both bullpens were overhauled with landscape bricks placed around them. Of course, the biggest improvement is JIM TOMAN and staff.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Been out of the office quite a bit today and didn't talk to DC about it.

Awesome stuff though. I'll be there under the lights! YES!
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Interesting tidbits in Lang's article:

http://www.newsadvance.com/servlet/Sate ... th=!sports
The lights project, which has been in the works for about a year, will cost the school around $350,000. Money was raised through athletics department fundraising and private donations..."It's something that Dr. Falwell and I used to talk a lot about," Liberty athletics director Jeff Barber said. "He really wanted to add lights. He and I probably talked about a year ago about it. It's been the last couple of months that we've been working to get the financing together."

Barber added that Liberty is still exploring options for building a new stadium on campus to replace Worthington, which has an official capacity of 1,000. The addition of lights does not mean the Big South tournament, which Liberty is hosting this season, will move on campus. LU doesn't have the facilities - including extra batting cages, practice fields and locker rooms - to accommodate six teams. So the tournament will be played at Dan Daniel Memorial Park in Danville on May 20-24.

The fact that LU will play its first night game against the Chanticleers excites both Barber and Toman. Ever since football season, Liberty has tried to promote Coastal Carolina to its students as the school's main athletic rival.
With VMI & Radford in-state and so nearby, why would Coastal be LU's "main athletic rival"?
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:With VMI & Radford in-state and so nearby, why would Coastal be LU's "main athletic rival"?
Because Coastal is always our main rival in the Sassar Cup....and rivalries with Radford and VMI are much like the rivalry between a hammer and a nail.
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Besides Flames and Chicken go well together!
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
now i can see more baseball this spring! hopefully the first of many improvements to worthington.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Smoothy & company, does that mean :tailgate at LU baseball games?
By Knucklehead
Registration Days Posts
Maybe we can have BBQ Beach chicken at the 1st game under the lights.
By RagingTireFire
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote: why would Coastal be LU's "main athletic rival"?
Because, if you want a rivalry, you've got to have a quality opponent and Radford and VMI suck at everything. If we're Boston, Coastal is our New York. By the same token, VMI is our Hartford and Radford is our Buffalo.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
RagingTireFire wrote:
Cider Jim wrote: why would Coastal be LU's "main athletic rival"?
Because, if you want a rivalry, you've got to have a quality opponent and Radford and VMI suck at everything. If we're Boston, Coastal is our New York. By the same token, VMI is our Hartford and Radford is our Buffalo.
:shock:

wow.

you wouldn't know that from reading their board.
By The NSL
Registration Days Posts
RagingTireFire wrote:Because, if you want a rivalry, you've got to have a quality opponent and Radford and VMI suck at everything. If we're Boston, Coastal is our New York. By the same token, VMI is our Hartford and Radford is our Buffalo.
Nice old NHL reference, RTF!
Election 2022 and 2024

If there is a debate, it probably should be be[…]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madr[…]

Danner Allen

Randolph Henry and Rustburg play again Monday. I […]