This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Somebody has to know the score....
By BJ
*sigh* another great pitching performance for Birmingham Southern... 4-1 Panthers
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
ok...enough of the earlier stuff.....it was a tough loss, but a great pitching performance from BSC. our bats have suddenly went cold....where is joe boo??? :D a very nice crowd was in attendance, and hopefully we can get a win in the last game of the series.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
Panthers Drop Flames

April 29, 2006 · Lynchburg, Va.

Panther right-hander David Horne pitched his second complete game of the season as Birmingham-Southern downed the Liberty Flames, 4-1, Saturday afternoon at Worthington Stadium in the second game of the three-game Big South series.

Horne scattered six hits and allowed only an unearned run on the afternoon for the complete game victory. With his second complete game of the season, the senior runs his record to 7-2. After yielding a run in the first, the senior held Liberty scoreless over the next eight innings and finished the game by retiring nine straight batters. He struck out four and walked two.

With the win, the Panthers move to 11-3 in the Big South Conference and 24-17 overall, while the Flames drop to 10-7 in the conference and 32-13 overall.

Liberty jumped out to a 1-0 lead in the first inning. Lead off batter Chad Miller (Sr., 3B, Wheat Ridge, Colo.) opened the home half of the inning by reaching on a fielding error by the Panther shortstop. He then wound up at third base on a Michael Just (Sr., 2B, Woodcliff Lake, N.J.) hit-and-run single. The third baseman scored on a sacrifice fly by Aaron Grijalva (r-So., 1B, Redlands, Calif.).

Birmingham-Southern knotted the game in the fourth inning. Right-fielder Brint Hardy singled with one out and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Scott Billak, which was mishandled for an error by the Flames’ third baseman. Two batters later, designated hitter Billy Froehlich’ s two out single to center field scored Hardy and tied the game at 1-1.

The Panthers extended their lead in the following inning. Blake Burton and Allen Aubin both singled to lead off the top of the fifth. Burton came home as Ronny Woods lifted a sacrifice fly to left field. Aubin then moved to second on a passed ball and advance to third on ground out. A squeeze bunt with two outs by Billak scored the third baseman for a 3-1 advantage.

With Horne holding the Flames in check, Birmingham-Southern added a run in the top of the ninth to make it, 4-1. Panther third baseman Aubin, who 3-for-4 in the contest, singled, moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by Woods and scored on a single by Mark Goforth.

Liberty starter Phillip Thompson (Sr., RHP, Ringgold, Va.) took the loss to drop to 6-4 on the year. The right-hander allowed three runs, two of which were unearned, on seven hits, while striking out three. It is the first time in nine starts this season that Thompson has picked up a loss. Ryan Page (So., LHP, Cranberry Twp., Pa.) allowed a run on three hits in three innings of relief.

Birmingham-Southern and Liberty will meet again tomorrow afternoon in the finale of the three-game series at Worthington Stadium. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.
By BJ
Liberty gets the whupping sticks out and leads 10-3 in the 6th
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
do any of you guys sit and think....man I'm really uptight......he said or else.....geeez, right away I thought post-season and inpaticular auto bid....give him a break
By Guest
so he's the one positive comment on the survey's.....father there's proof for the comments that have been made, strides have been made but your son is still in the minority.

and please don't give me rhe wins statement bc we still might not get 40 with one of the worst non conference schedule in the programs history. It makes sense why being a Royer supporter you are so paranoid about a simple comment like "or else"
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
By the way who won today
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
things are getting better, it may take sometime repair relationships that were hurt but I think it can be done...yes our Non-SOS is awful, but the only true test will be if we get 40 wins and still dont get the automatic bid.....that will either disprove or prove that the SOS truly killed us, if we dont get in with 40 that will say something......if we do get in then I guess nothing else can be said about it

I just hope that Bach will be ok and get that extra zip that we're so used to seeing.....like I've said a million times, this is the time of the year to see if innings pitched has caught up or not
Last edited by Hold My Own on April 30th, 2006, 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Nice to win the last one
By fsn32
Registration Days Posts
Anonymous wrote:so he's the one positive comment on the survey's.....father there's proof for the comments that have been made, strides have been made but your son is still in the minority.

and please don't give me rhe wins statement bc we still might not get 40 with one of the worst non conference schedule in the programs history. It makes sense why being a Royer supporter you are so paranoid about a simple comment like "or else"
"Royer Supporter"???

Is this a political campaign?

I for one am a Liberty Baseball supporter.

As for SportsCritic... he said something... it caught a couple of us the wrong way... and he explained himself... end of story for me.

That's how message boards work... heck, that's how human beings work. I wish I had a dollar for everytime I said something and someone took it the wrong way. You explain what you meant and you move on. Sportscritic is opinionated and blunt and there is nothing wrong with that... I just wanted to let him know that I could see where someone might take it the wrong way.

Maybe LU Father was a little too defensive... but for that matter "guest" didn't even have the courtesy to let us know why we should believe what he is saying.

I guess as a "Liberty" supporter, I am just frustrated that our spring sports are having very good seasons and yet there is so much negativity. What's next... Track came in second... let's go after Tolsma. We had to go through this with Football and Basketball... I was hoping that success might breed a little positively. But I guess I should go back to my first comment... being negative is human nature... and message boards tend to be negative. Maybe I should lob out some negative comments... it must make you feel better.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Seven-Run Fourth Lifts Flames Past Panthers
April 30, 2006 · Lynchburg, Va.

Liberty scored seven fourth-inning runs to take a lead the Flames never relinquished in defeating the Birmingham-Southern Panthers, 12-5, Sunday afternoon in the Big South series finale between the two teams at Worthington Stadium.

Liberty moves to 11-7 in the Big South Conference and 33-13 overall, while Birmingham-Southern falls to 11-4 in conference and 24-18 overall.

The Flames jumped out to an early 2-0 lead in the first inning. Leadoff hitter Patrick Gaillard (Jr., SS, Taylors, S.C.) singled and advanced to third on a double down the left field line by Chad Miller (Sr., 3B, Wheat Ridge, Colo.). After intentionally walking Phillip Laurent (Sr., LF, Cantrall, Ill.) to load the bases with one out, Aaron Grijalva (r-So., 1B, Redlands, Calif.) drove a pitch up the middle to drive in Gaillard and Miller.

The Panthers came back in the top of the second with three runs to take the lead. Designated hitter Billy Froehlich singled to right to open the inning, moved to second as Blake Burton was hit by a pitch and scored on a RBI double to right by second baseman Ronny Woods. Center fielder Mark Goforth followed with a two-run double to the left field corner to put Birmingham-Southern up, 3-2.

In the bottom of the frame, Liberty knotted the score at 3-3 with a two-out run. Errol Hollinger (Fr., C, Upland, Calif.) doubled to the left field corner and scored as Gaillard singled up the middle.

The Flames broke the contest open in the fourth as they scored seven runs on six hits. Derek Bennion (r-Jr., CF, Snohomish, Wash.) started the inning off with double. He then stole third on ball four to next batter Hollinger. With runners on the corner, Gaillard doubled to left to deliver Bennion for a 4-3 Liberty advantage. After Miller walked to load the bases, Michael Just (Sr., 2B, Woodcliff Lake, N.J.) singled through the hole between the shortstop and third baseman to plate Hollinger. Grijalva singled sharply to right field, two batters later, to drive in two more runs. Just scored the Flames’ fifth run of the frame as the second baseman came home on a sacrifice fly by Abe Yeakel (Jr., DH, Kutztown, Pa.).

With two outs, the inning continued as the Panther first baseman made a throwing error on a pick off attempt of Grijalva at first, allowing him to advance to third base. Phil John (Jr., RF, Linwood, N.J.) drove in the runner from third with a RBI single and Bennion, who started the inning with a double, double again to score John and put Liberty up, 10-3.

In the sixth inning, the Flames added two more on solo home runs for a 12-3 advantage. Laurent lead off the frame with a blast over the right field wall, his seventh home run of the year. After the next batter flew out, Yeakel hit his third home run of the season, an opposite field shot over the left field wall.

Birmingham-Southern plated two in the seventh. With one out and the bases loaded, Billak singled to center to score a run. After a pitching change, another run would score on a fielders’ choice ground out by Froehlich.

Liberty starter Dustin Umberger (Fr., RHP, Hummelstown, Pa.) allowed five runs on eight hits over 6 1/3 innings to pick up his first win as a starter. The right-hander struck out five and walked two in running his record to 2-1 on the season. Tim John (Jr., RHP, Linwood, N.J.) pitched the final 2 1/3 innings allowing only one hit and striking out four. Will Stroup, the second of three pitchers on the day for the Panthers, took the loss, allowing seven runs, five earned, on six hits as he falls to 2-1.

Grijalva was 3-for-5 with four RBI, while teammates Bennion and Gaillard also collected three hits on the afternoon for the Flames. Goforth, Billak and Woods each had two hits each for the Panthers.

Liberty steps out of conference for a rematch with the Virginia Tech Hokies on Wednesday night in Blacksburg, Va. Game time at English Field is scheduled for 7 p.m. Birmingham-Southern returns home Tuesday night to host UAB in a 7 p.m. non-conference contest at Striplin Field.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
it was good to see the flames get off the mat and play well yesterday. umberger picthed an ok game, and the sticks warmed up as well. as far as some of the negative comments on this thread, i agree with FSN....this has been a good spring for our teams and it seems like there is much criticism for coach royer. i do not know him personally, but he has done a great job the past two years.....give him a break!
By intheknow
fsn32 when the only thing that can ultimately satisfy the critics is an emotional feeling of winning then it is counter productive to your own psyche to think of the big picture in terms of your values and loyalties. Some people unfortunately grow up so negative and costic that they really do form a habit of looking for fuel to fire that furnace. Some obviously are politically motivated. Most of us don't really understand the interworkings of any team and judge from hearsay. If a young man in the year 2006 is not performing up to the standard and doesn't get the emotional reward that goes with playing time or a championship then the blame game starts. Coach Dunton hit it on the head when he equated Div. I athletics to an auction. I may see an item I would like to bid on but someone with more resources may bid above my price range. I know there are many of our athletes who would love to win the prize if it was in their price range(what level of work they are willing to sacrifice). Coaches can only practice players for two hours a week in the off-season and 20 in season. Every team is recruiting like crazy to find those who will step up to the auction and stay in the bidding with the very best. Their is a fine line between winnig and losing. Maybe if we had a real understanding of the difficult issues then we could find a encouraging spirit for our teams.
Yes even when they go through tough years,stretches and games. If it is not a pattern of under achieving then we are accountable to boost the spirit not teardown and create more hurdles with our own deficiencies coming to light. Positive reinforcement is the key to building catch a child doing something right and applaud it. Your on the way to a good habit. Coach Royer is doing a tremendous job. Will there be people issues yes. Not everyone can get what they want, nor will they make the right decision on how to handle business. So empower coaches and encourage athletes. Don't be quick to provide distractions and hurdles in our athletic program. This university and athletics is moving in the right direction. So in the spirit of grace will continue to keep even those whose cup is always half empty. Go Flames
By PeterParker
Registration Days Posts
Kudos to the teams victory Sunday. Quite an outing.
By Guest
Intheknow couldn't have put it better myself.

Now watch as the negative nancies come out tell you they only do it because of their passion for Liberty Athletics! I have never been around a school and boosters (not only this board, but Flames club members) who are critical and negative even when a team is winning and doing good things.

Nicely put.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
fsn32 wrote:
Anonymous wrote:I guess as a "Liberty" supporter, I am just frustrated that our spring sports are having very good seasons and yet there is so much negativity. What's next... Track came in second... let's go after Tolsma. We had to go through this with Football and Basketball... I was hoping that success might breed a little positively. But I guess I should go back to my first comment... being negative is human nature... and message boards tend to be negative. Maybe I should lob out some negative comments... it must make you feel better.
I agree!! Heck, I do work for Athletics, but let me be clear - I'm a huge Liberty Fan whether I help out or not. I have been around sports my whole life. Worked with USF in Tampa, worked with the Wizards and Capitals in DC - I have never heard so many fair weather fans and this is Liberty. Looks like we would be a little more forgiving and grab on to any type of success.

My Frustrations -
1) SOS???? Are you kidding me. Go through every little media guide and tell me every team we played has been historically bad. Maybe some teams out of our conference are not having their greatest season - but we have played some good teams. In the past we have lost to many of those same teams that everyone is now downgrading to NAIA level. Their not (last I looked - they were all Division 1 teams) - a win is a win. You want to teach a team how to win by getting blown out every game, no you schedule games that will be competitive. We have a great team this year and so does softball - and it is like pulling teeth to get anyone to recognize the fact that, hey, maybe it's not just the schedule - maybe these guys and gals are pretty good and competitive.

2) Coach Royer - Lets put this to bed. Maybe he is an introvert and is not everyone best friend. Get to know the guy - he is a great person, cares for his players, and knows a heck more about baseball than anyone on this board. He is the Head Coach - he should have earned a little respect these past two years. He pretty much had pneumonia last month - and refused to miss a game, and the team plays great defense, hits well, and plays fundamentally strong baseball - all things that he is responsible for. Not to forget - that he is the main recruiter and has brought in talent that every other team in the Big South would want.

3) We’re 69-31 in sports where you use a bat and ball. Baseball – 33-13, Softball – 36-18. We have played out-of-conference teams with an average of a 159 RPI, BSC played teams with an average of a 121 rpi. We went 10-3 in series against those teams – BSC went 5-9. We might not have played as good as teams as they did on a whole, but last year you could have predicted that some of these teams would be better than they are this year. Everyone is just looking for an excuse to down play what the teams are doing, and as a true LU fan – I think we should be excited to go into every game and have a chance to win – no matter who we are playing. Couldn’t have said that 3 years ago.
By TIMSCAR20
Registration Days Posts
I think Strength of schedule is a term that should be reserved for 1A football teams trying for a bowl game. That is really the only time it matters. The truth is that playing a division 1 schedule (any division 1 schedule in any sport) is strength enough as this level. Now if we played 30 division III schools then I would say that is an issue but on any given moment in baseball football and hoops, these teams can beat us or we could beat them. Since we are winning the games at the pace that proto just documented, how can we afford to be so negative? We need to wake up and realize we are not Duke, Michigan, ND or anybody of that ilk (quick PTI reference). We are Liberty and we should appreciate wins vs all division 1 teams. Would you rather lose to these teams that we are looking down our noses at? It felt terrible to lose to Longwood in Hoops and to nearly get beat by Concord in football. At least we are winning the games. I laugh when I read how the football team has a soft schedule next year. 1st of all the people saying that couldn't name 2 players on most of those teams and I guess that is why they think they are not good teams. Again this is division 1 athletics and even schools that we don't see on TV and know the names of the players can be very good teams. I know it will continue to be talked about on this board and elsewhere but SOS is over used and mis used by almost everyone IMO.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
according to the players things are getting better, so let's just relax and see if things continue to get better...let's just forget about all of this and get 40 wins and hopefully get that auto bid (if needed)
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Thank You Hold my Own and well said SCAR. Let's please just move on and show up and support all teams at Liberty!!
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Having only been around a year, I admit I don't know all of the back story (if there is one). But the disdain some here hold for Royer truly puzzles me.
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
There is no real one. People are bitter.

1) People didn't like that Coach Pastors wasn't offered more money to stay.
2) People wanted Tomlin to take over. Great Pitching coach, but does no have the experience yet.
3) People were mad internally because Falwell made this hire. But hey - Rocco and Dunton were Falwell's hires too. Dunton still battles this every day.
4) People think Royer is to critical and not a players coach. I can tell you from 1st hand experience - Royer is very honest, he is not one to beat around the bush and hold your hand - I respect that, most people do, but some people don't. Players Coach? I have seen Coach with his team at school and as he is preparing a Thanksgiving dinner at his house for his team. Sure he could let them do what ever they want, buy them the best gear over budget, let them break all the rules - but he is a coach of a large team - there needs to be some discipline and limits.
By intheknow
The quicker we live in reality the less WASTED energy those who want to build national teams will spend on those who can't get beyond a small time, critical based and lacking insight to the opportunity our university has. Great decisions have been made in hiring coaches and administrators to move this univesrsity athletics forward. We live in a small community and in many respects some who had relationships affected in transitions can and do see through disappointment and bitterness. They are entitled to opinions. Others listen to players who talk outside the team circle of team business. Most looking for a sympathic ear to rationalize their disappointment in competition. Are they entitled to friendships and opinions? yes.
Programs are a function of the Head Coach and university structure. We allow to many to ATTACK our coaches. This does not build or strenghten our ability to grow the programs. It polarizes at best.
It is wrong for even the Flamefans board to allow destructive verbal attacks to not be challenged. Problem Solving is life's constant companion in any family, oraganization or business. I have never experienced such a willingness to condemn and over inflated voices of opinion who have no real experience to draw from in what NCAA DI athletics is. We consistency disrepect the Big South and have
no clue the growth of their financial commitment and growth of programs in just the last five years. We
consistently disrepect our Head Coaches. Dunton went 2,1,2 in his first three years and it's incredible the attacks
in the face of tremendous growth. Now he had a season of disappointing results so it is fair to question reasons and direction. That can be done and still be encouraging. Royer has a tough series and the nuts get cracked. Who sends emails of encouragement to our coaches. They will all deal with some level of
player issues as they build and we should not be surprised when players transfer or are not renewed. It
is the players responsibility to outcompete and make themself a part of the team's strength or accept the role they earned. The Coach is the authority and that is tough for today's generation to submit too. Our
coaches love our student/athletes and desire MORE than any of us to win. If we would empower professional ethics it would better serve our Coaches and teams. We can use this forum to attract many to a group of Liberty faithful who get it, support it, encourage it and eventually win it more times than not.
Coach Royer and Coach Wetmore finish strong and those can be great years. Coach Rocco just flat go for it, we are behind you. Coach Dunton and Green get them ready for some exciting games and competition. To all our HEAD COACHES thank you for the hours and hours of work, sacrifice and leadership you provide to OUR INSTITUTION-LIBERTY UNIVERSITY!!!
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
wow, that was really well said
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]