This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
9-1 flames in the 6th.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
we can still blow this lead! :lol:

kidding kidding
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Nice win 13-6, hopefully we will pick up game 2 as well.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
LU up 2-0 going to the bottom of the 3rd in game 2
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Good news--we are up 4-2 in the 8th
Bad news--they are into our pen.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
great job by our guys after the tough loss friday. we are doing the necessary things to be a true contender for the big south championship.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Congrats in gutting it out, winning the ones we need to win! onward and upward!
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Great job by the LU baseball team taking 2 games in one day. especially after the tough loss yesterday.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
I'll take 2 out of 3....bottom line is you HAVE to win the games you should and try to get a 2-3 for the games that are a toss up....hopefully we'll make some noise and I hope our weaknesses dont get exposed to bad
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
We should win at least 2 outta 3 next weekend too.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
not so fast SJ, though i hope you are right. coastal may be a little down but they are 6-6 in the league. we are 8-4, so nothing comes easy this year, esp with arms shortage in the bullpen.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Home field advantage would certainly help in the Coastal series. Hopefully can get a good crowd for those games,
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
im hoping to see sunday's game after church.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Coastal's not playing well at all. They just lost 2 of 3 to BSC. Gilmore is over coaching in my opinion and it's basically been put the ball in play and wait til the infielders screw up because sooner or later they will. People in Conway aren't happy with the baseball team this year.

At home, coming off a good weekend, Page will probably be back, I say we take 2 of 3.

Me and gmtm are planning a trip down to Coastal next weekend but if that falls through I should be at the games Friday and Sunday.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
maybe you guys could get some game shots and post them up. I know FSN has been shooting, but I haven't gotten over to his site to look at them yet.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Maybe you could drive down here and see for yourself.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I just got in trouble for mentioning the FB season again (the 50th time I've brought it up this week) so I gotta watch my butt for now! :D
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Does Brokeback live at your house? Why would you have to watch your butt?
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Very nice Superjon... I will see what I can do I really don't have a great camera like (FSN32) his cameras make mine look like the old Polaroids from back in the 80's when it comes to quality!!! But I will see what I can come up with.... in exchange for maybe a PAmedic t-shirt... O by the way I will be up in Philly the 19,20,21 of May.... I hate it when the Red Sox are in town!!!!!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
we veered a little off course (surprise, surprise) but here's the official wrap:

Flames Roll Past Buccaneers in Game One of Doubleheader
April 15, 2006 · Charleston, S.C.

Aaron Grijalva, Phillip Laurent and Abe Yeakel each had a home run as the Liberty Flames downed the Charleston Southern Buccaneers, 13-6, Saturday afternoon in game one of the Big South doubleheader between the two teams.

With the win, Liberty moves to 27-9 on the season and 7-4 in the Big South, while Charleston Southern drops to 14-27 and 8-9 in conference play.

Liberty jumped out to a 3-0 lead in the second inning as the Flames batted around in the frame. After loading the bases with one out, Grijalva (r-So., 1B, Redlands, Calif.) scored the game’s first run on a wild pitch. Two batters latter, Shawn Teufel (Fr. 1B, Tequesta, Fla.) dropped a single into left field scoring Phil John (Jr., RF, Linwood, N.J.). Chad Miller (Sr., 3B, Wheat Ridge, Colo.) later walked with the bases full to force in the Flames’ third run of the inning.

The Flames extended their lead in the fourth. Teufel reached on a fielding error by the Buccaneers’ second baseman. Miller then brought him home with a RBI double to the wall in center field for a 4-0.

In the bottom of the frame, Charleston Southern broke through. Center fielder Chris Krogmeier singled with one out, stole second and moved to third on a ground out. He scored on a wild pitch to make it, 4-1.

Liberty added to their lead with a single run in the fifth and four runs in the sixth. In the fifth, Grijalva hit a solo shot to right center field, his fifth of the season. In the sixth, Grijalva singled to score Miller, who earlier singled. After a walk put runners on first and second, Yeakel (Jr., C, Kutztown, Pa.) hit his second home run of the season over the right-center field wall for an 9-1 advantage.

The Flames plated four more runs in the top of the seventh. A fielder’s choice scored the first run of the frame. Laurent (Sr., LF, Cantrall, Ill.) then connected on a three-run home run, his sixth of the season. The Buccaneers matched in the bottom half of the inning on a RBI single, a sacrifice fly and a two-run home run by designated hitter David Perkins.

Charleston Southern added a late run on a solo home run in the ninth by pinch hitter Keith Stewart.

Liberty starter Phillip Thompson (Sr., RHP, Ringgold, Va.) runs his record to 6-3 on the season, allowing five runs on nine hits in 6 2/3 innings. Andrew Wilson (Fr., RHP, Cary, N.C.) pitched the final 2 1/3 innings, allowing a run on two hits. Charleston Southern senior Ryan Sowers took the loss to fall to 4-4. He allowed seven runs on eight hits.

In addition to their home runs, Grijalva was 4-for-5 with a walk and 2 RBI, while Yeakel was 3-for-4 with two walks and 3 RBI. Laurent, who also had three RBI, Teufel and Miller had two hits for the Flames.

The two teams will meet in the doubleheader’s second game and the final game of their three-game series later this afternoon.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Flames Take Both Ends of Doubleheader From Buccaneers
April 15, 2006 · Charleston, S.C.

Liberty took a 3-2 lead on Chad Miller’s solo home run in the seventh and never relinquished it as the Flames defeated the Charleston Southern Buccaneers, 7-2, in game two of the Big South doubleheader, completing a sweep of the doubleheader Saturday afternoon at Buccaneer Field.

With the doubleheader sweep, Liberty moves to 28-9 overall and 8-4 in the Big South, while Charleston Southern falls to 14-27 overall and 8-10 in conference.

As in the first game of the doubleheader, the Flames opened the scoring with a single run in the second inning. P.K. Keller (So., CF, St. Petersburg, Fla.) tripled to the right field corner to lead off the frame and scored on a safety bunt by Derek Bennion (r-Jr., RF, Snohomish, Wash.) for a 1-0 lead

Liberty added to their lead in the third inning. Michael Just (Sr., 2B, Woodcliff Lakes, N.J.) opened the frame with a single and then swiped second base. Phillip Laurent (Sr., LF, Cantrall, Ill.), who had three RBI in the first game, two batters later single sharply to right to plate Just for a 2-0 Flames’ advantage.

After being kept in check through five, Charleston Southern knotted the score at 2-2 in the sixth. With a man aboard, designated hitter David Perkins hit a home run, his fourth of the season.

Liberty answered back in the top of the seventh inning to once again take the lead. Miller (Sr., 3B, Wheat Ridge, Colo.) hit his third home run of the season to put the Flames up, 3-2.

Liberty then extended their lead to 4-2 in the eighth. With two outs, Tommy Bussey (Fr., SS, Boynton Beach, Fla.) singled through the middle to bring home Bennion, who had reached on a fielder’s choice.

In the ninth, the Flames broke the game open with three runs on five hits to go up 7-2. Just opened the inning with a single up the middle and scored as Aaron Grijalva (r-So., 1B, Redlands, Calf.), who hit a home run in the first game of the doubleheader, hit an opposite field two-run round tripper over the right field wall. It was the first baseman’s sixth home run of the season. Later in the inning, Keller reached on a single to left field and a batter later, scored on a RBI double by Phil John (Jr., OF, Linwood, N.J.), who entered the game in the eighth inning as the right fielder.

Dustin Umberger (Fr., RHP, Hummelstown, Pa.), the Flames’ starter, held the Buccaneers scoreless through five, but did not figure in the decision as Charleston Southern broke through for two runs in the sixth. The freshman right-hander allowed two runs on four hits in 5 1/3 innings, striking out four and walking two. Tim John pitched the last 3 1/3 innings, allowing no runs on one hit to pick up the win and move his record to 3-1 on the season. Besides the ninth, the right-hander stranded a Buccaneer runner at third in the sixth, seventh and eighth innings.

Charleston Southern senior left-hander Josh Evans drops to 2-6 on the season as he gave up four runs on 10 hits in 7 2/3 innings. Reliever Ryan Rowland followed and gave up three runs on five hits in 1 1/3 innings.

Keller was 4-for-5, while Just was 3-for-5 in the second game for the Flames. Bussey also had two hits for Liberty. Perkins had two hits for the Buccaneers.

The Flames return home on Tuesday afternoon to host Longwood in a non-conference contest. Game time Tuesday is scheduled for 3 p.m.
Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1784281065328[…]

UTEP

Liberty wins 12-1 in 5 innings. Love and Bachman […]

Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty wo[…]