This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
this series is sort of a benchmark for the guys. Time to step up and answer any remaining questions.

the Keydetscome in with an overall record of 20-6 (Home: 16-3/Away: 4-3) and a Big South record of 2-1. They've outscored their opponents 205-139, are on a 4 game win streak and have won 8 of their last 10 games. All in all, a pretty tough team.
Last edited by PAmedic on March 30th, 2006, 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'll prolly be at the games Saturday and Sunday. I'll at least be at one of em.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
after looking at their schedule a bit, its not overly impressive- though some have indicated they don't feel ours is either :wink:
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
that season opening series against auburn would have been more impressive, but they are struggling.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
SMOOTHIE you gonna make it over to the mt for any of these: supposed to be beautiful this weekend- at least up here.
By givemethemic
Registration Days Posts
Today is about as perfect as you can get mid 70's nice a breeze...
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Not to mention that beautiful Citadel Blue sky!
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
not gonna be able to make it, headed to charleston this wkend. im planning on going to the radford series, which i think is next wkend.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Score anyone?
By Guest
I don't have a final as of yet (I have a friend who is the public address announcer so I can find out from him) but when I left the game at about 5 LU was up 6-5 in teh top of the 7th after unloading on the VMI starter for 4 runs in teh bottom of the 6th including back to back homers from Grijalva and PK Keller.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
That last post was me BTW

Liberty wins 8-5
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
A good win over a pretty good team. Hope to keep up the momentum tomorrow.
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
we'll ride these starters until their arms fall off....not to mention we'll have to start a reliever tomorrow
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Relief pitching tends not to be a problem when you get complete games outta your starters!

Solbach Goes the Distance as Flames Rally to Down VMI
March 31, 2006 · Lynchburg, Va.

Box Score Note:
For game box score, click “Team Stats” link on the right-hand navigation bar as all season box scores are listed on this link.

Michael Solbach pitched his first complete game of the season and the Liberty Flames used a pair of solo home runs and two run-scoring singles in the sixth inning to overcome a three-run deficit for an 8-5 win over VMI in Big South Conference action Friday at Worthington Stadium.

With the win in the first game of the three-game weekend series, Liberty improves to 19-8 overall and 1-3 in the conference, while VMI falls to 20-7 and 2-2 in league play.

Liberty hurler Solbach (Woodbridge, Va.) earned his first complete game of the season, allowing five runs, four earned, on eight hits to run his record to 5-1. The right-hander also struck out a season-high 10 Keydets and yielded one walk on the afternoon. VMI starter Trey Barham took the loss to drop to 4-2 on the season. The sophomore was charged with six runs on eight hits, working 5.2 innings while striking out five.

The two teams traded runs throughout the early innings, with Liberty answering VMI ‘s single runs in the first and fourth frames. In the first inning, the Keydets opened the scoring on a RBI single by first baseman Robert Crumpler, while the Flames countered on a two-out RBI single by Phillip Laurent (Sr., LF, Cantrall, Ill.). In the fourth, after being hit by a pitch and moving to second on a passed ball, Kelly Sweppenhiser scored VMI’s second run of the day on a RBI single to center by Jacoby Fields. Liberty knotted the score at 2-2 in the bottom half of the inning on a solo home run by Derek Bennion (r-Jr., DH, Snohomish, Wash.), his second of the year.

The Keydets went back on top in the fifth inning. Will Smith reached on an infield single deep to the hole between the shortstop and third baseman. The Keydet designated hitter advanced to second on a hit-and-run ground out and scored on a RBI single to center field by Chad Rice.

VMI upped its lead to 5-2 in the top of the sixth. Sweppenhiser led off the inning for the Keydets with a solo home run over the right center field wall, his fourth of the season. VMI later in the inning added a second run on a RBI single to center by B.T. Good.

In the bottom of the sixth inning, the Flames would bat around, plating four runs to take the lead. Aaron Grijalva (r-So., 1B, Redlands, Calif.) led off the frame with his fourth home run of the season, a solo shot to left center to close the gap to 5-3. Two batters later, P.K. Keller (So., CF, St. Petersburg, Va.) connected for his second home run of the season over the right center field wall to cut the Keydet advantage to one. With two outs, Liberty struck for two more runs to go in front, 6-5. Phil John (Jr., RF, Linwood, N.J.) singled and advanced to second on a passed ball. Errol Hollinger (Fr., C, Upland, Calif.) then singled to center to chase home the Flames’ right fielder to knot the game at 5-5. Patrick Gaillard (Jr., SS, Taylors, S.C.) followed with a RBI single to left field to score Hollinger and put Liberty ahead.

The Flames added two more in the eighth inning. After Hollinger was hit by a pitch, Gaillard tripled to the right center field gap, chasing home the catcher for a 7-5 lead. The Liberty shortstop then beat the throw to the plate by the Keydet pitcher on a squeeze bunt by Chad Miller (Sr., 3B, Wheat Ridge, Colo.) to make it 8-5.

Gaillard, Grijalva and Keller each had two hits on the afternoon for the Flames, while Rice and Sweppenhiser each had two hits for the Keydets

Game two of the three-game Big South series between VMI and Liberty is slated for 2 p.m. tomorrow at Worthington Stadium.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
It was 14-4 LU heading into the 6th
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Now it is 16-4 LU top of the ninth
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
In the top of the ninth I counted 4 batters hit by pitch and 2 wild pitches to account for 3 runs. Talk about control issues. I guess we have a comfortable enough lead to reach down in our depth chart. 16-8 with 2 down in the ninth.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
We win 16-8. 19 hits with Laurant with the homer. Looks like everyone contributed today.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Stevev were you at the game? I was there too. Maybe we should meet sometimes. Our Pitching is terrible right now. If we were in post season we would be out in the first or second round. The bullpen needs to be cleaned up.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I live in Delaware but I followed the last part of the game on gametracker on VMI's website. I don't come down to Lynchburg as often as I used to due to the high cost of gas and the terrible football teams we have had recently.

Concerning the pitching I think that we have 3 solid pitchers in Solbach, Thompson, and Page. The rest of them are either underclassmen in the developmental stage or ones that are not that good. Could use a good closer like Josh Brey was back in his time. Maybe one of the freshmen will come through.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Solbach, Thomas, and Page are pretty solid. The rest of them are suspect.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I'm trying to get a kid here. He's supposed to be filling out the interest form this week. He's 5-0 so far this year as a senior in high school. He's pitch 5 complete games and in 33 innings (four 7 inning games, one 5 run slaughter rule) he's given up a total of 6 runs. I don't know how many of those are earned though. Radford was wanting him but hasn't offered yet, and I, along with his coaches, think the kid is better than Radford. Here's an article on him:

http://northcarolina.ihigh.com/weststok ... 03,00.html
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Sorry SJ, he's too far south of the Mason-Dixon line for this staff to have much interest.

Great article about what sounds to be a fine young man. I bet he would be a great fit.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I'll be at the game this afternoon.. supposed to be 72 and sunny. Go Flames!
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote:Solbach, Thomas, and Page are pretty solid. The rest of them are suspect.
and seeing how much we've been pitching them we'll ride these horses until someone has to follow them to pick up their arms like a pooper scooper....I hate seeing that, so many names come to mind Jeff Jordan (although his was related to more of a HS problem and had nothing when he came to LU) Alex Dooley had great stuff and was well on his way to get drafted until his arm fell off, and many others...I just wish our bullpen could step up so this wont be a problem, b/c right now it doesnt appear to be a problem, but in 2 months I dont want to see dead arms, b/c Solbach's 90+ fastball looks great
CUSA Tournament Las Cruces, NM

Liberty will play winner of New Mexico State-Jacks[…]

LSU

Liberty 3 LSU 1, final. Escobar complete game win.[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

It certainly feels ridiculous to see some of these[…]

Volleyball Coach

Former player and assistant coach Rebecca Ru[…]