This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I got nothing here. yet

well, other than the obvious- 3 game set at their place, we face a lot of the same teams, so I'd expect that you'd see some similarities down the line (as far as results). Its probably still too early in the season to trend anything, though.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
the colonials are 4-7 on the year, but some of the losses are 3 to UNC, 1 to UVA, and 2 wins over VCU, and a win at JMU. maybe this will be a close series.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Lost to UVa, Maryland, George Mason, swept (3) by UNC.

took 2 out of 3 from VCU, beat UMBC and JMU.

They play W/M, us Winthrop and a bunch of A-10 teams.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Hello, George! I will pet him and I will play with him, and I will call him George. Hello George.
And then I will SWEEP their butts in a weekend series. Go get' em!
By Hold My Own
Registration Days Posts
talkin about Georges did you see what GT did to a future opp. for us????? HOLY COW one dude had 10 RBI! I hope we can make them look like at big of a cup cake too!
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
yummmmmm. Cup Cakes. Need sugar fix.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
LU with the win 7-1 this afternoon
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
thanks Steve- I couldn't get the stat-tracker to work.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
I guess that with hosting the womens games, the SID staff is a bit over loaded to get the info on the web.
By Beating PA Medic
March 10, 2006 · Arlington, Va.

The Liberty Flames connected for three home runs and starter Michael Solbach allowed no earned runs over eight innings as the Flames defeated the George Washington Colonials, 7-1, Friday afternoon in the first of a three-game series at Barcroft Park.

With its fifth straight win, Liberty ups its record to 12-3 on the season, while George Washington drops to 4-8. The Flames have won 10 of their last 11.

Liberty lead from start to finish as the Flames opening the scoring in the first inning. Patrick Gaillard (Jr., SS, Taylors, S.C.) led off the frame with a walk, moved to second on a wild pitch and then stole third base. Aaron Grijalva (r-So., 1B, Redlands, Calif.) then plated Gaillard with a two-out double to right for a 1-0 advantage.

Up 1-0 in the top of the fourth inning, Phillip Laurent (Sr., LF, Cantrall, Ill.) led off the frame with a solo home run to right, his third of the season, and Derek Bennion (r-Jr., RF, Snohomish, Wash.) later followed with his first round tripper of the year, a two-run shot over the left field wall, to give Liberty a 4-0 advantage.

In the fifth inning, the Colonials pushed across their lone run of the afternoon. Bryan Hwang walked with two outs and advanced to second on a wild pitch. He then scored on an error by the Flames’ first baseman.

An RBI single from Michael Just (Sr., 2B, Woodcliff Lake, N.J.) followed by a two-run homer by Grijalva, his third of the year, in the seventh inning finished off the Colonials, 7-1.

Grijalva was 2-for-5 with a double, home run and three RBI in the game. Just and Laurent also had two hits and drove in a run each for the Flames.

Solbach (r-So., RHP, Woodbridge, Va.) allowed no earned runs on four hits, while striking out seven and walking four in eight innings to run his record to 3-0 on the season. The right-hander won back-to-back outings for the first time this season. Tim John (Jr., RHP, Linwood, N.J.) pitched a scoreless ninth inning for Liberty.

George Washington starter Dan Pfau took the loss to fall 1-2, allowing four runs on seven hits, while striking out eight in 6.0 innings.

No Colonial recorded more than one hit in the game and designated hitter Andrew Abokhair produced the only extra base hit with a fourth inning double.

The Flames and Colonials meet again tomorrow in game two of the three game series. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.
Michael Solbach ran his record to 3-0 on season
with a victory Friday over George Washington.
By LU Father
Just to let everyone know, I was at GW's park this afternoon (if that is what you want to call it). There is no internet, phone, etc. there. There aren't even any bathrooms. Do to this fact, do not expect any live stats, radio, etc. or quick posts of scores or stories this weekend. The info guy, who happens to be the best in the Big South, has to wait to get back to the hotel before he can even start to post the score and story. Baseball usually goes to eat right after the game, so he probably only got back around 7:30 at the earliest tonight and I know he had it up around 8. So, it isn't because of basketball tourney, it is because of the bad facility GW has.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
When I was in school and VT was still in the A-10, I covered a series up at GW's "park." It's a rec field in Arlington. The press box is a little league press box and some yahoo spilled his flipping tobacco spit cup, and the place stank badly. Ugh. Not good memories of GW's place.
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
another solid win for the flames. let's break out the broom on sunday!!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Page Pitches First Collegiate Shutout En Route to Victory Over George Washington
March 11, 2006 · Arlington, Va.

Ryan Page held George Washington to four hits in picking up his first collegiate shutout to lead the Liberty Flames to a 3-0 win over the Colonials, Saturday afternoon at Barcroft Park.

With its season-high sixth straight win, Liberty runs its mark to 13-3, while George Washington falls to 4-9 on the season. For the second straight year, the Flames have started the season, 13-3, which is the second best start in the program’s history. The 1995 Liberty squad started the season 14-1.

Locked in a pitcher’s duel through the first seven innings, the Flames broke the scoreless deadlock in the eighth. With two outs and two runners on, Chad Miller (Sr., 3B, Wheat Ridge, Colo.) doubled into the left field corner, plating both runners for a 2-0 advantage.

Liberty then added an extra run in the top of the ninth inning as Aaron Grijalva (r-So., 1B, Redlands, Calif.) walked, stole second and scored on a RBI single through the left side by next batter Phillip Laurent (Sr., LF, Cantrall, Ill.).

Page (So., LHP, Cranberry Twp., Pa.), who ran his season mark to 5-0, was outstanding on the afternoon, scattering four singles, while striking out four and walking one. No Colonial made it past second base on the afternoon against the reigning New Balance Big South Pitcher of the Week. Thanks to three double plays, the left-hander faced only one more batter (28) than the minimum. He also has won his last his last five appearances, two starts and three in relief, allowing only one run in 27 1/3 innings.

Right-hander Josh Wilkie took the loss for George Washington, evening his record at 2-2.

Laurent was perfect at the plate on the day for Liberty as the left-fielder was 4-for-4 with one RBI. Miller had the Flames other multiple-hit game with two hits including the two-run double in the eighth.

Liberty and George Washington will play the finale of their three-game weekend series tomorrow afternoon at Barcroft Park. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
We won the last game today 12-8. I think that we hit 4 homers and had 12 hits. Lead the game throughout. Next is Marist. I saw them play Delaware today since I live about 20 minutes from there and they are going to be tough. They took 2 of 3 from a good Colonial conference team so Marist is not your typical team from the Northeast. They got some good batters throughout the lineup but there pitching is definately their weak point. They can score some runs but also give up a lot considering what I have seen from them. LU seems to be on a roll lately. Lets hope that we can keep it up.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the update. LU is typically slow to update their site on Sundays, and GW is probably committing hari-kari over their 8 seed, so baseball is probably an afterthought.
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
I'm sure that most GW fans won't care about baseball at this time of the year. Nice 3 game sweep of a pretty descent team on the road. GW took 2 out of 3 from VCU earlier in the year.
By LU Father
For the second time in three days, I feel compelled to come on this board and set the record straight. I am sorry it is in response to A.G.’s posts, but it is not only him that doesn’t understand how things work as far as the baseball score reporting and the web site. Most college baseball facilities do not, I repeat, do not have a place for the SID to get on line and post stories and/or scores. For instance, this weekend at GW as I stated, in a previous post, did not have running water, let alone internet access, so there is no way a score is going to be post until someone has a chance to get some place with access to the internet.

As far as Sunday reporting, when it is get away day and there is no place to file a score and no one is back at the office to put it up on the web like LU, the media contact has to wait until he/she gets back to Liberty to place the story on the site. It is not slow reporting, most time the story is written, they just don’t have a way to post.

For example, today the game was over at 5 p.m. The team got on the bus and drove an hour and stopped to eat. There was no internet available there. They then got on the bus and midway through the trip home, someone got sick. They stopped again and the bus did not get home until 10. When they stopped the second time, the story was put up at 8 p.m. on the web as internet was available. It could have easily been 10!

Last season, when the team went to Birmingham-Southern, the team got back at 4 a.m. at which time, the story was put up.

So once again, it is not because the SID staff is slow to put the score up, it is because there is no way to put it up or no one is at a place to access the internet. I hope this sets things straight because it is quite obvious with the comments that have been made, you do not understand why scores do not get reported immediately. The web site is not slow. The SIDs do what they can. Everyone associated with the team (players, coaches, parents, etc.) understand this and that things are put up in a timely fashion due to the situation and it is time people on this board understand that too. Stop the making backhanded nasty comments if you don't know the facts!
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
LU FATHER thanks for setting the record straight and for giving us the first-hand accounts! Good to have you on here, great to see Flames Baseball on a roll!

*by the way- I would be remiss if I didn't throw out the 'ol: "welcome aboard- why don't you go ahead and register"

(consider it done on SLY's behalf!)
Last edited by PAmedic on March 13th, 2006, 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Liberty Wins Slugfest to Sweep George Washington
March 12, 2006 · Arlington, Va.

For the second time in three days, three Flames hit home runs, while Phillip Laurent batted in three runs as Liberty defeated the George Washington Colonials, 12-8, to sweep the three-game weekend series between the two teams, Sunday afternoon at Barcroft Park.

With the victory, Liberty opens the season 14-3, the second best start in school history, while George Washington falls to 4-10. The Flames have won a season-high seven straight and 11 of their last 12 games.

Liberty opened the game by posting two runs in their top half of the first inning on a two- run double by Laurent (Sr., LF, Cantrall, Ill.). George Washington took a 3-2 lead in the bottom half of the inning on a two-run double by left fielder Charlie Kruer and a RBI single by the next batter Andrew Abokhair .

The Flames grabbed back the lead in the second inning. With the base loaded, Chad Miller (Sr., 3B, Wheat Ridge, Col.) doubled to the left field corner to plate two runs and a RBI ground out by Michael Just (Sr., 2B, Woodcliff Lake, N.J.) scored another to give the Flames a 5-3 advantage. The Colonials countered with a run of their own on a single by Mickey Shupin.

Leading 5-4, Liberty stretched their lead with three more runs in the third inning. With two out and one on, Patrick Gaillard (Jr., SS, Taylors, S.C.) hit his third home run of the year, a two-run shot over the left field wall. The next batter, Milller, walked and later stole second, before Aaron Grijalva (r-So., 1B, Redlands, Calif.) singled sharply between the shortstop and third baseman to put the Flames an 8-4.

A run in the fourth inning on an error by the George Washington second baseman and one in the fifth inning on a RBI single by Laurent upped the Liberty lead to 10-4.

The Colonials’ Kruer, who was 4-for-4 with five RBI, hit a two-run home run in bottom of the fifth to make it 10-6.

In the top of the seventh inning, Just hit a solo home run, his second on the season, while George Washington made the score, 11-8, with back-to-back RBI singles by Kruer and Abokhair.

Abe Yeakel (Jr., DH, Kutztown, Pa.) hit his first home run of the season, a solo shot over the right center field wall, to extend the Flames’ lead back to 12-8.

Tim John (Jr., RHP, Linwood, N.J.) ran his season record to 2-0 in relief of starter Dane Beakler (Fr., RHP, York, Pa.). John, who relieved in the second inning, pitched three scoreless innings, allowing only two hits and a walk, while striking out two. Billy Daniels (Sr., RHP, Colonial Heights, Va) followed in the fifth inning after John was struck in the arm by a batted ball. The senior threw two innings allowing two runs, both unearned, on two hits, while striking out two. Dustin Umberger (Fr., RHP, Hummelstown, Pa.) pitched the last three innings for the Flames to earn his first save of the year, yielding two runs on four hits.

The Colonial starter Tim Sexton, 0-3, took the loss, allowing eight runs, five earned, on six hits in 2 2/3 innings.

Laurent was one of five Liberty players with two hits on the afternoon and drove in three runs. The Flames’ left fielder went 8-for-12, a .667 average, in the three-game series, driving in five runs with a home run and a double.

Liberty returns home and begins a five-game home stand Tuesday afternoon by entertaining the Marist Red Foxes. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.
Left fielder Phillip Laurent went 8-for-12 on the weekend
with five RBI as the Flames completed a sweep
with a win Sunday at George Washington.
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for setting the record straight, LU Father. I wasn't thinking about the team driving back, and forgot all about the school being on break.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
One last question for LUFather:

are you a "dad" or a priest? I didn't think we had priests on campus, maybe its some sorta new outreach to Catholics program :mrgreen:
Field Hockey

Having one of your assistants get hired as HC at a[…]

New Mexico State

Spearman single-handedly beat us. Best pitcher […]

LSU

We won 2 last season at UCLA, should have won a 3r[…]

NMSU

I do not see the European players to be as fast as[…]