This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Number1inda'hoodG wrote:Great set of wins on the diamond. This team definately has its swager back after sweeping one of the top teams in the conference. The most unbelieveable part of this one had to be Joe Hudak's decision to stay with Jason Franzbla, his starter, through the mess in the eighth inning. Apparently, after the game Hudak said he thought Franzbla was throwing as good in the eighth inning as he was in the beginning. I've rarely been one to question coaches, especially one like Hudak, but that might have been one of the worst coached innings I've seen in a long time. Great job by our hitters to respond after getting down. We can actually grab the two seed with a pair of wins next weekend and a couple of Winthrop losses.
I think it had more to do with his complete lack of faith in his bullpen right now. The bullpen did an awful job on Friday and Saturday, so I think he was very hesitant to go back to them today...
By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
wow! what a great weekend for our guys! im am super proud of the effort, and it is coming at the right time! we have shown we can play with the best in the big south. let's hope we can close out well next weekend at VMI.
By Number1inda'hoodG
Registration Days Posts
WinthropEagleFan wrote:
Number1inda'hoodG wrote:Great set of wins on the diamond. This team definately has its swager back after sweeping one of the top teams in the conference. The most unbelieveable part of this one had to be Joe Hudak's decision to stay with Jason Franzbla, his starter, through the mess in the eighth inning. Apparently, after the game Hudak said he thought Franzbla was throwing as good in the eighth inning as he was in the beginning. I've rarely been one to question coaches, especially one like Hudak, but that might have been one of the worst coached innings I've seen in a long time. Great job by our hitters to respond after getting down. We can actually grab the two seed with a pair of wins next weekend and a couple of Winthrop losses.
I think it had more to do with his complete lack of faith in his bullpen right now. The bullpen did an awful job on Friday and Saturday, so I think he was very hesitant to go back to them today...
Saturday the bullpen did an awful job. Friday two relievers pitched to one hitter each and got them both out. Only Mullins and Schwartz got roughed up on Saturday. They still had Settle, Reid or Taylor they could have gone to, none of whom had thrown yet in the series. Settle should've been warmed up before LU took the lead. With all due respect, I still say it was bad coaching.
By WinthropEagleFan
Registration Days Posts
Number1inda'hoodG wrote:
WinthropEagleFan wrote:
Saturday the bullpen did an awful job. Friday two relievers pitched to one hitter each and got them both out. Only Mullins and Schwartz got roughed up on Saturday. They still had Settle, Reid or Taylor they could have gone to, none of whom had thrown yet in the series. Settle should've been warmed up before LU took the lead. With all due respect, I still say it was bad coaching.
On Friday though, a balk by Mullins brought in the winning run. Defense also didn't help matters either in either game (or today for that matter, so the bullpen can't be blamed for everything). I'm not saying he made the right move or not (since I wasn't there), but the way he was talking about the bullpen in the postgame after Saturday's game, you could tell that he was fed up with them. Settle had been pretty bad over the last few weeks, so he hasn't used him much at all lately. I thought he pulled the plug on Brett Moore a little too early yesterday (though he hadn't pitched much this season), so maybe he decided to trust his starter today...turned out to be the wrong move...
By Number1inda'hoodG
Registration Days Posts
WinthropEagleFan wrote:
Number1inda'hoodG wrote:
WinthropEagleFan wrote: I think it had more to do with his complete lack of faith in his bullpen right now. The bullpen did an awful job on Friday and Saturday, so I think he was very hesitant to go back to them today...
On Friday though, a balk by Mullins brought in the winning run. Defense also didn't help matters either in either game (or today for that matter, so the bullpen can't be blamed for everything). I'm not saying he made the right move or not (since I wasn't there), but the way he was talking about the bullpen in the postgame after Saturday's game, you could tell that he was fed up with them. Settle had been pretty bad over the last few weeks, so he hasn't used him much at all lately. I thought he pulled the plug on Brett Moore a little too early yesterday (though he hadn't pitched much this season), so maybe he decided to trust his starter today...turned out to be the wrong move...
The defensive statement is true to some degree (there was another costly error today on the shortstop), but the defense also didn't give up 15 hits. I just can't find a way to justify leaving him out there that long, but Hudak has won more ballgames than I ever will so whatever. Along those same lines, I thought Royer should have pulled Umberger in the seventh when he gave up the double to Carey. Just a case where that one doesn't get magnified because you won.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
WinthropEagleFan wrote:Congrats on sweeping the series. Liberty did a good job of playing well in the late innings...Winthrop did not.
WEF thanks for your insight and always classy contributions to our board, enjoy your posts..
By Stevev
Registration Days Posts
Some big wins over the weekend agains't a very good Winthrop team. We seem to have their number right now with 5 straight wins against them going back to last year even though I think that Winthrop has a better program. I would hate to face these guys in the tourney.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
WOW

congrats to the guys - great wins in a tough series toward the end of a brutal stretch of games

now go get VMI!

(PS: yeah, WEF is a good guy: always nice to have him here)
By jcmanson
Registration Days Posts
Definitely a good weekend for the team. If we can win the series vs. VMI, we will definitely be going into the tourny with a very positive mindset.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
How much sweeter is this sweep since it was Dr. Falwells last sporting event. I know he came up to the press box somtime around the 7th. Which is around we broke the no hitter and started the comeback! :)
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]