This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By bigsmooth
Registration Days Posts
the flames are mired in a three game losing streak as they head west to take on the #15/18 arizona wildcats who currently sit third in the PAC-10 (32-11 overall, 10-5 pac-10) after losing two of three to conference leader UCLA. this is gonna be a tough series and the game times will be 10pm friday, 9pm saturday, and 3pm sunday EST. it does not appear arizona will have a webcast or internet radio coverage of the games.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
David Stokes on the mound tonight Hopefully we can play like we did last weekend
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
1-0 Wildcats in 2nd
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
10-0 in 6th getting ugly
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
Final score Arizona 16 LU 2. LU commits 4 errors in the game.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
From the Tuscon fishwrap:
Wildcats head off shakeup with win

JOHN MOREDICH
Tucson Citizen

Most of the University of Arizona baseball team's starting lineup may have feared about being benched, considering the Wildcats were in a three-week hitting slump.

But coach Andy Lopez kept his regular lineup in, and the No. 15 Wildcats responded with a 16-2 win over Liberty University on Friday night at Sancet Stadium.

The teams meet again at 6 tonight and noon Sunday.
Click Here for Full Story
By The Judge
LU does not have quality pitching to compete. Four errors ??? If Cody Brown doesn't pick 3 balls out of the dirt...could have been 7 or 8. Phillips is an infielder...but he came in and threw gas last night and I think he may have found a new position. Having never pitched he was actually very good. This is not meant to be too hurtful...but it was painfully obvious to a number of west coast scouts here that LU pitching has guys who don't belong at the D-1 LEVEL. Too many walks, putting their batters in great hitters counts killed us all night. We also need middle infield help !!! Very hard to watch. Cody Brown should play every inning of whatever games are left. No Garret Young isn't making things any better either.

Today is a new day.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
To be fair, this one one of our poorer performances of the season. So I wouldn't want to base talent strictly on this game. If we boot the ball and serve up BP all weekend then you have a greater sample for your survey.

BTW have you seen any other Liberty fans there? I know some LU alumni in Tuscon and I'm curious if they are supporting the Flames. My old roommate went to our hockey series earlier this year.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Judge...did you make the trip out West? That's neat if you did...UA has a quality complex.

What's with all the errors, though? Talk about putting pressure on the pitching staff.
By The Judge
Yes I am here in AZ. There appears to be quite a few parents and friends of players here. Although I have met several friends of LU via scouts and other local folks who have a connection to LU. The AZ crowd has some professional raggers that are pretty funy at our expense.

Our pitching and infield defense is subpar. Sorry to be so blunt ! Who ever said we have good pitching with the notable few exceptions is sadly self deluded. I am hopeful for a better outcome tonight !
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Always fun to travel to the big CBB venues...a couple I recall with rabid ragging fans are Tennessee and Florida State. Enjoy the trip...and lets hope for better play the next two days.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
I've never been to UA's set up but I have been to Tempe a number of times. Arizonans know and appreciate baseball more than most nationally.
By The Judge
Thei field and complex is older but very nice. Suposed to sit with Jerry Kindle tonight. He is a gppd friend of Coach Worthingon and Royer. I know Kindle is a friend to Liberty baseball too ! Very windy here this weekend ! They are throwing a left who is supposed to be a top 3 rounds guy. Hopefully we can regain the edge played with at Coastal.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
Not a good start tonight...down 4-nil in the opening frame.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
8-1 now- pretty sad
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Its pretty unfortunate to see the guys get romped like this the last two games with teh conference tournament on the horizon as well as a very important home series with Winthrop.

I think we have the talent to really be something special. Im sure this is something at AD Barber notices as well. Now anybdy that knows me knows that I am not pro or anti-Coach Royer (I frankly am not much pro or anti anybody at Liberty in the coaching staff, maybe with the exception of Coach Tolsma because Ive gotten to know him personally through the interviews Ive done with him for the radio), but you have to think that he doesn't notice these struggles, and has noticed Coastal and Winthrop's success and is thinking of ways to get LU there and competing for championships annually and top 25 rankings etc.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Anyone think it's funny that the Judge wasn't on here in February and March saying we didn't have any talent when we were winning? Only now that we sucked and our arms are dead does he comes on and say all of our guys suck.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
He's just stating that he does not believe that much of our pitching is not D-I calibre...and that our infielders are not getting the job done. The way the team is playing right now, it is hard to argue with him.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
But he only starts mentioning this after we lose a few games and one of his better friends comes under attack. Seems a little convenient for me.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I'm thinking the guys have mentally checked out at this point. Maybe not all, but the games I watched- the fielding errors (esp the one in the infield that I was howling about at the tailgate) look to be mental in nature.

Technical mistakes that a D-I kid should NOT be making: failing to get the glove on the ground, watch the ball, etc. I'm no coach- but a Buckner like effort with the ball going thru the 5 hole in to right on a routine grounder is ridiculous. Once in a while, it'll happen- but we've been giving up a LOT of errors the last few series- hence, my theory on mental fatigue.
UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]