This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
A lot of people have talked about the fact that we need a new baseball stadium somewhere in order for us to keep getting better. Where would you propose the new field go if you were in charge of it? This is all pure speculation and I have absolutely no inside knowledge of the matter, it's just my opinion that for us to continue to grow and get better, we need a new stadium.
By El Scorcho
Registration Days Posts
I think the ideal location would be in the area of the current intramural fields on Campus East. I think the area would provide a nice backdrop for the stadium, and it's an easy walk from the dorms over there.

I pick this location over the only other one I've heard mentioned, which is the parking lot in front of David's Place. I think the area wouldn't be so great to watch a game in, and it would take away parking from football, which we will hopefully be needing plenty of in the future.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
convert David's place and the Pit into a first class stadium- build a 3 or 4 story parking garage on P1-P2 and use the existing ball field for practice, HS, and intramurals.

so I have spoken, so it shall be.
By TDDance234
Registration Days Posts
I like it. David's Place is kind of worthless now than Campus North is functional.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
TDDance234 wrote:I like it. David's Place is kind of worthless now than Campus North is functional.
we had a nice argument going about that on here once already- apparently the family doesn't want the building used for any purposes other than for what it was originally dedicated. I can understand their feelings- and their right to feel that way.

all heresay though.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
well, its not used for a student center anymore...its the music ministries or whatever the heck they call that major...its their building....i guess, or something

David's Place is worthless, but someone did dedicate money for it so I can't imagine them tearing it down....

The more I think about the Campus East Intermeral field area idea the more I think I like it....though its not easy access for right after class for us commuters...so I don't know
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The someone was the DeMoss family and they still carry quite a bit of weight around campus based on their longstanding generosity to the school.
By Fumblerooskies
Registration Days Posts
What is wrong with the current location?
By The Judge
You could re-grade the exising area just beyond the right field fence into a large practice infield and additional covered batting cages etc and bull-pen mounds. Then totally reverse the the field and make homeplate in center and then you can wisely still use the offices and clubhouse which will not be in the field of play. Install lights and maybe even build a new clubhouse attached by causeway to the new practice field. Install lights and you have just created a atate of the art facility without having to lose any face with those who have given so generously. It would mean having one season at the minor league stadium...but well worth the sacrifice.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
That's actually a good idea as well.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
The Judge's plan makes the most sense financially and logistically IMHO.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
The only problem I could see would be the sun during afternoon games. With lights, that wouldn't be too much of a problem, but if we were to play an afternoon game, the batter would look almost directly into the sun.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:The only problem I could see would be the sun during afternoon games. With lights, that wouldn't be too much of a problem, but if we were to play an afternoon game, the batter would look almost directly into the sun.
And why would the ball be dropping vertically outta the sky? Are the men switching to slow-pitch softball? 8)
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Looking straight ahead, the batters will have the sun in their eyes. They won't have to look up.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
ah yes- that low VA sun, normally about 6'2" off the ground. gotcha

(I would have no issue with that)
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
You've obviously never played baseball.
By sitemdown77
Registration Days Posts
Fields that are set-up like that tend to have problems. I've seen delays in games on occasion b/c the sun was setting directly behind the field. It is a problem. There would need to be like a batter's eye or something which is used most of the time to correct the problem.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I know of a high school that always has a 15-20 minute delay in the middle of the game because of the sun going down.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
You also know of a football stadium that plays night games for these reasons. :wink:
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
You talking Coastal or LU?

Coastal can't play 3:30 games.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Conway.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Yea, you can't play 3:30 games there. It's impossible to see from the home side stands/sideline.
By The Judge
By rotating home plate to the current right field corner....

1. Home dugout still is now 1st base side...very common.....

2. Better overall fan and staff parking rather than dealing with rear entrance issues....Plus ADA compliance issues should be addressed.

3. Night games will draw many more students and residents.....= more revenue.....

4. New practice infield will save extreme wear and tear on the field itself.....

5. New scoreboard, stands and I think you get the picture.....
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
So you're saying put home plate in right field, not center field. That would possibly work.
By HenryGale
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:So you're saying put home plate in right field, not center field. That would possibly work.
That would actually be worse...the sun comes straight into the first base dugout right now...Actually...the building may prevent that a little bit...but the hitters/catcher would be looking directly into the sun if homeplate was in right field. Also if homeplate was in RF...I think the new right field line would not be long enough before you reached the railroad tracks.

The current location works fine as far as I am concerned.
Danner Allen

Struck out 22 batters and Randolph-Henry def[…]

UTEP

Roupe 2 HR, Wilson 1 HR, Roupe, Wilson and Madrey[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

A snowball has a better chance in h-e-double-hocke[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

https://twitter.com/ASeaofRed/status/1783905706782[…]