This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Rider University Baseball homepage: http://www.rider.edu/174_460.htm

evidently we are the first 3 games on their schedule (baseball starts later up here)
they also follow w/ a 2 game stint v. Longwood, other than that primarily play small schools up here. We oughta take 2 games from them. Friday's game starts at 2:30, Sat and Sun at 1 PM

they had a rocky season last year (Record: 24-27 Home: 11-13 Away: 9-9 Neutral: 4-5 MAAC: 15-12) but did have 2 guys batting over .340 (S. Whalen, S.Rich)

here's their 2004 statsif anyone cares.

By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
Another record-building "power" on the schedule. We could win 40 games and not get a bid with this schedule. Hopefully, the new AD will see through the fluff and make some changes.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
it was brought up, somewhat improbably, on the FB board- that some rumblings have started concerning interest by some big name alums in coming back to help out the program. Stay tuned!
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
HELP the program OR TAKE OVER the program. There is a difference. I'm a big Tomlin fan and personally feel the wrong alum got the job the last time.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
I must agree with you that i was also impressed with Tomlin when i had the oppurtunity to speak with him following games on the radio. I don't know if the wrong person got the job, but we do need some intervention to spark the program i think and i am interested to see what will happen.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
A.G. wrote:HELP the program OR TAKE OVER the program. There is a difference. I'm a big Tomlin fan and personally feel the wrong alum got the job the last time.
hmmm, thats a very interesting question- I had the same thought and figured I'd hang it out there for you guys to see if you picked up on the idea too!
Rocketfan wrote:I must agree with you that i was also impressed with Tomlin when i had the oppurtunity to speak with him following games on the radio. I don't know if the wrong person got the job, but we do need some intervention to spark the program i think and i am interested to see what will happen.
I agree that a spark would be great. It is ironic, though- cause we're talking about a team that's 4-2 right now! (I know, Strength of Schedule: but there's bound to be some that complain about us on here screaming b/c of losing teams, yet unhappy with those that ARE actually winning!)
By Passing Along Some Info
Aaron Grijalva is not expected to play this weekend. He has a ligament injury in his thumb on his left hand and can barely grip a bat. They are hoping a weekend off will help it.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for the update on AG. The sooner that heals the better.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
90.9 will have the finale of the Rider-LU series this Sunday with coverage beginning at 12:45 with the pregame and Nick Pierce and Brian Kennedy with the call of the game first pitch 1 PM
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
I just jumped over thinking I could tune in to the game- only to find out they're only calling the Sunday game. Oh well.

(Suppose I could've checked the broadcast schedule on here first)
By A.G.
Registration Days Posts
What's Rider's nickname. Guess it's too much to ask that it's the Cowboys. Image
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
Broncs
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
It was a decent game. You can tell it's still February. I got there in around the 3rd inning cause I had class til then.

We won on a walk-off error. Final score was 11-10.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
I will say this, and I speak from experience, the music needs to be changed to create a better atmosphere. The only time they played anything was pitching changes and in between innings. They had a few good songs, but Kelly Clarkson and 10-year old Jars of Clay is not baseball music. Yes, I'm being critical, but that's also because I have a full games worth of music for a game on my computer.
By thesportscritic
Registration Days Posts
SuperJon wrote:I will say this, and I speak from experience, the music needs to be changed to create a better atmosphere. The only time they played anything was pitching changes and in between innings. They had a few good songs, but Kelly Clarkson and 10-year old Jars of Clay is not baseball music. Yes, I'm being critical, but that's also because I have a full games worth of music for a game on my computer.
I agree with you superjon. LU never has good sports music. Especially at Basketball games. Nothing to get the crowd into the games. Baseball is bad too in terms of the music.
By krh44
Registration Days Posts
Sportscritic
I guess you weren't around during the "BE BOLD, BE STRONG" days when that song was our Basketballs theme song. It sounded like something off of WRVL. No offense to WRVL that is the station I listen to most of the time. (Wow I am getting old)
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Baseball's not hard to do music for. There are a couple essential (Centerfield, Cheap Seats, and Back Home In Omaha), along with a few that most people use, and then just quirky stuff during the game. For example:

A walk: play clips from These Boots Were Made For Walkin, I Would Walk 500 Miles, or Eye of the Tiger

Homerun: Slow Ride, Final Countdown

Steal: Movin On Up

Opposing coach goes to the mound: Jeopardy, Andy Griffith

Those are just a few of em. I have a whole list of things on my computer that I used when I announced.
By Sly Fox
Registration Days Posts
For the record, we swept the series.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Swept the series and played the exact same songs all three games. Holy crap.
By Rocketfan
Registration Days Posts
You shouldn't be suprised, those speakers used to be so bad sometimes you couldn't tell what they were saying. But i admit a little creativity would go a long way, maybe FSN or GMTM can talk to sports information who controls that.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
They should do something. You've got to create an atmosphere. Yes, I'm being very critical but it's only because I know I can do better.
By Chris Lang
Registration Days Posts
The music choices are made by the coaching staff. One of the assistants gives sports information an iPod with certain songs on it and that's all the music they can play.
By SuperJon
Registration Days Posts
Oh, wow, then that's just dumb. They don't even do the 7th inning stretch.

For those that haven't been there, these are some things they're playing:

Beautiful Day - U2 (that's decent)
Since You've Been Gone - Kelly Clakson (no American Idol winner should be played at a baseball game)
Jars of Clay from 1994
Colored People - DC Talk (are you kidding me?)
Big House - Audio Adrenaline

Like I said, they don't even do the 7th inning stretch. That's blasphemy.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Flames Rally For Wild 11-10 Win In Ninth Inning
February 24, 2006 · Lynchburg, Va.

Michael Just’s single to right field with the bases loaded in the bottom of the ninth inning scored Shawn Teufel with the winning run as the Liberty Flames overcame a three-run deficit to edge Rider, 11-10, in the opening game of a three-game series between the two teams, Friday at Worthington Stadium.

With the win, Liberty moves to 5-2 on the season, while Rider drops its opening game of the 2006 season. Five of the Flames seven games have been decided by a run.

Rider opened up the scoring with two runs in the top half of the second inning. With runners at the corners and one out, Brad States singled sharply up the middle, scoring both runners and staking the Broncs to a 2-0 early lead.

The Flames came back in the bottom of the inning to take the lead with three of their own. P.K. Keller (So., CF, St. Petersburg, Fla.) walked and Abe Yeakel (Jr., DH, Kutztown, Pa.) was hit by a pitch to open the frame, the pair advanced into scoring position on a sacrifice bunt by Derek Bennion (r-Jr., RF, Snohomish, Wash.). The pair then scored on a single by Teufel (Fr., 1B, Tequesta, Fla.) to right field to tie the game at 2-2. Patrick Gaillard (Jr., SS, Taylors, S.C.) then delivered a RBI single with two outs to plate Teufel and give Liberty a 3-2 lead.

Rider tied the game at 3-3 in the third inning on an RBI single by Mike Poalise, only to see the Flames go back in front in the fourth inning on a solo home run by Teufel, the first of his collegiate career.

Three unearned runs in the fifth inning allowed the lead to change hands again. The Broncs’ Poalise reached on an error to open the inning and later score on a wild pitch to tie the game at 4-4. After back-to-back singles by Jeff Reynolds and Justin Squashic, Bryan Wagner doubled to the right center field gap to score the two runners and put Rider back in front 6-4.

In the bottom of the frame, Liberty scored twice to knot the score at 6-6. Keller’s RBI triple would bring home Phillip Laurent (Sr., LF, Cantrall, Ill.), who had walked, to open the inning and then scored as next batter Yeakel grounded out.

Rider grabbed the lead back in the sixth inning. Gene Crimoli doubled to center field to lead off the inning and a batter later score on a Poalise single. The Bronc center fielder then stole second base and later scored from second base on a passed ball for an 8-6 advantage.

Liberty got one back in the bottom of the inning. Gaillard, who walked three times on the afternoon, walked, stole second, advance to third on a passed ball and scored on a sacrifice fly by Just (Sr., 2B, Woodcliff Lakes, N.J.).

Rider added two more runs in the top of the seventh inning to go up 10-7. With two outs, Crimoli, who was 2-for-3 on the afternoon, singled in both runs with a bloop hit to center field.

The Flames rallied to cut the lead to 10-9 in the eighth inning. Gaillard was once again the catalyst as he would walk, steal second and score on a Just two-out single. The Liberty second baseman stole second and advanced to third on an overthrow by the Bronc’s catcher. He then scored on a wild pitch for the Flames’ second run of the frame.

With it getting dark at Worthington Stadium, Liberty’s Bennion would draw a walk to open the inning. The right fielder then swiped second and moved to third on an error by the Rider shortstop which allowed Teufel to reach base. Next batter Errol Hollinger (Fr., C, Upland, Calif.) single to center field to plate Bennion and tie the game at 10-10. The Flames then loaded the bases with one out. Just singled to right field over a drawn infield to score Teufel for the 11-10 victory.

Liberty starter Tyler Light (Fr., RHP, San Bernardino, Calif) went three innings allowing three runs on seven hits. Dustin Umberger (Fr. RHP, Hummelstown, Pa.) followed with two innings of work allowing three runs, all unearned, striking out four. Tim John pitched the next three innings yielding four runs, three earned, on five hits, while striking out four. Billy Daniels (Sr., RHP, Colonial Heights, Va.), the last pitcher of the afternoon for the Flames, picked up his fist win of the season with one inning of relief. Mike Dyszel took the loss for Rider allowing three runs, one earned, in 2/3 innings.

Liberty and Rider meet again tomorrow afternoon in the second of the three-game weekend series. First pitch at Worthington Stadium is set for 1 p.m.
By PAmedic
Registration Days Posts
Liberty Drops Rider, 7-5 , In Game Two of Three Game Series
February 25, 2006 · Lynchburg, Va.

Phillip Thompson pitched seven shutout innings, while Phillip Laurent and Errol Hollinger each had three RBIs as the Flames defeated the Rider Broncs, 7-5, in the second game of a three-game weekend series, Saturday afternoon at Worthington Stadium.

With its fourth straight victory, Liberty moves to 6-2 on the season, while Rider falls to 0-2.

The Flames opened the scoring with three runs in the third inning. With two out Chad Miller (Sr., 3B, Wheat Ridge, Colo.) beat out a infield single to third base. Michael Just (Sr., 2B, Woodclif Lake, N.J.) followed with a singled to left field, moving Miller to second. The next batter Laurent (Sr., OF, Cantrall, Ill.) then doubled to center field scoring both runners and later scored on an error by Rider short-stop.

The Flames extended their lead to 4-0 in the fourth inning. Phil John (Jr., OF, Linwood, N.J.) singled on a bunt down the third base line and advanced to second on an overthrow on the play by the Broncs’ third baseman. John moved to third on a sacrifice bunt by Shawn Teufel (Fr., 1B, Tequesta, Fla.), and would score on a sacrifice fly by Errol Hollinger (Fr., C, Upland Calif.).

In the fifth inning, Liberty widened their lead to 5-0. Just doubled to right field with one out and Laurent followed with an RBI double down the left field line, his second of the afternoon.

The Flames added two more in the sixth. John opened the bottom of the frame with a single to left field. One batter later, Hollinger hit his second collegiate home run to give the Flames a 7-0 advantage.

Meanwhile, Thompson (Sr., RHP, Ringgold, Va.) held Rider scoreless over seven innings in his first start of the season.

The Broncs broke through with two runs in the top of the eighth. Adam Tussey drew a walk and advanced to second on an infield single by Maurice Williams. Brian Wagner found the left center field gap for two-run triple, cutting the Flames lead to 7-2.

The Broncs would rally in the ninth inning. With two outs, James Hayes reached base on an error by the Liberty shortstop and pinch-hitter Matt McCollum walked. Justin Squashic then doubled down the left field line, scoring Hayes and sending pinch runner Jeff Reynolds to third. Williams followed with a single to right field to plate both Reynolds and Squashic. The next batter Wagner was hit by a pitch, advancing Williams to second and bring the go-ahead run to the plate. However, Flames’ pitcher Jason Koziol (Fr., RHP, Paramus, N.J.) would get Tom Letizia to line out to the third baseman to end the game.

Flames’ starter Thompson went 7 innings, allowing no runs on four hits with seven strike outs and one walk to even his season record at 1-1. Andrew Wilson (Fr., RHP, Cary, N.C.) faced five batters in relief, giving up two runs on two hits and walking two in his first collegiate appearance. Koziol closed out the game by yielding three runs, all unearned, on two hits and a walk over 1 1/3 innings. Rider’s starter Erik Holck took the loss, his first of the season.

Liberty will host the Broncs again tomorrow at Worthington Stadium in the final game of the three-game weekend series. First pitch is set for 1 p.m.
Future Schedules.... Again

We should offer to go to Northwestern 25 and[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

It's official Josh Smith has signed. [https://lib[…]

Athens Regional

I don’t know how to take that!

NCAA Realignment Megathread

In the FCS world, Richmond is moving their footb[…]