This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
We started the year off terribly (granted it was great competition) and we weren’t even competitive. Then for a few weeks in the middle of the season we looked much improved and resembled a decent baseball team. But my goodness the last 2ish weeks have been brutal. What the heck happened to this baseball team?
Hard to imagine we went to 3 regionals in a row and now we may or may not even make the conference tourney. I know we aren’t some blue blood juggernaut that only reloads with no down years but this has been tough to stomach.
I absolutely have faith in Jackson to make sure this season is only a blip on the radar and not something more severe but what a forgettable year this has turned into.
Sure could use somebody telling me something to make me feel a little bit better.
By tyndal23
aredd33 wrote: May 5th, 2023, 7:32 pm We started the year off terribly (granted it was great competition) and we weren’t even competitive. Then for a few weeks in the middle of the season we looked much improved and resembled a decent baseball team. But my goodness the last 2ish weeks have been brutal. What the heck happened to this baseball team?
Hard to imagine we went to 3 regionals in a row and now we may or may not even make the conference tourney. I know we aren’t some blue blood juggernaut that only reloads with no down years but this has been tough to stomach.
I absolutely have faith in Jackson to make sure this season is only a blip on the radar and not something more severe but what a forgettable year this has turned into.
Sure could use somebody telling me something to make me feel a little bit better.
The economy is great, unemployment is at an all time low, banks are solid, Covid is no more ( unless WHO decides otherwise and then all western nation states follow their future decrees) , Vaccine casualties are a myth, no threat of World War on the horizon, Ukraine is dominating Russia, Iran finallyhas enough Nukes to defend itself from evil Satan of Israel and US, children are now free to designate their sex at age 1 month, soon Man Boy Love will be legal, tyrannical parents have finally lost their say on oppressive sexual repression of their offspring, the US dollar is sound, supply chain is restored, job market has never been better, illegal immigration is down 95% since Biden was elected, China is our best friend, we will all soon have a tokenized CBDC, ( no more drug or terrorist $ going untaxed) and next year our CUSA logo will solve all of LU recruiting and playing woes. Feel Better?
By ECC29
Jackson did a good job with the baseball program by taking the program to the next level. However, from a baseball standpoint, Jackson have made too many coaching errors. Poor decision-making during games that cost games in every season. Leaving pitchers out too long is my biggest critique of him. He made other mistakes that were costly. It’s time LU should look for a better head coach that can take this program to the next level.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
ECC29 wrote: May 6th, 2023, 7:30 am Jackson did a good job with the baseball program by taking the program to the next level. However, from a baseball standpoint, Jackson have made too many coaching errors. Poor decision-making during games that cost games in every season. Leaving pitchers out too long is my biggest critique of him. He made other mistakes that were costly. It’s time LU should look for a better head coach that can take this program to the next level.
Disagree. Jackson is the right guy for LU. Don't understand why we haven't had a better season this year. Could possible be a chemistry problem, guys just having bad years, injuries. It happens every now and then. If things continue to go the way they are for another year or two, then maybe we have this conversation. Jackson is a great representative of LU and will get it squared away on the field.
Ill flame, Chippy, aredd33 and 3 others liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
I disagree about moving on from Jackson too. Three regionals followed by one down year doesn’t deserve the ax.
The pitching I’m not worried about we’ve consistently had good pitching under Jackson and I’m sure we’ll get back there very soon but the offense does concern me. We’ve been so good at run prevention the last few years it’s covered up our at times very lack luster offense. Our issue this year is the run prevention isn’t there and the run scoring seems to have somehow taken a step backwards.
My biggest gripe with Jackson as I’ve said many times is bunting. Bunting actively hurts the team and decreases run scoring. Outs are precious and they are not unlimited. Don’t give them away.
By AATL
It's truly the home stretch of the season with one series to go. Lipscomb, FGCU, Stetson, and Jacksonville State have locked up four of the eight available ASUN playoff spots. Liberty is in a four-way tie for fifth with Jacksonville, EKU, and Austin Peay, all of whom are one game up on UNF and two games up on KSU and CARK. Heading into a series with a Bellarmine team who has been brutal most of the year and is the coldest team in the league (1-9 in their last ten), it feels like the Flames have a chance to control their own destiny. Hopefully we see a healthy Guy and Lazzaro.

If Liberty can squeeze their way into the tournament, they've get a very favorable draw by starting in the "Top 4" pool based on RPI. Credit there goes to HCSJ's scheduling.

Our rooting interests are mostly clear:
  • Central Arkansas over Eastern Kentucky
  • North Alabama over Austin Peay
  • UNF and Jacksonville.. probably 2-1 UNF
Baybird liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
What a crazy conference season. The 2 teams from last year’s championship may or may not make the tourney this year. Anyway let’s finish strong and make some noise in the tourney.
If Dale Layer’s basketball team can win the 2013 Big South tournament then this baseball team can win the ASUN tournament.
ballcoach15 liked this
Virginia Law Allows Schools to Pay NIL

I think we should do whatever Tech and UVA do as[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]