This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
We make it to the Gainesville Regional.
Florida
Central Michigan

Liberty
Oklahoma
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
This is a really tough regional. CMU and Oklahoma are conference champions. Florida was a runner up. We’ve proven we can play with and beat the Gators in their stadium.
The winner will be pair with the Blacksburg regional winner in the supers.
This is regional appearance number 3 in a row (omitting 2020) with 2 of those being at-large bids. Hopefully consistent postseason appearance is or will be making a difference in recruiting.
This is really exciting. Let’s break through this year and make it to a super for the first time.
By aj7
I'm a Liberty grad but raised an OU fan and live in OKC. Feel free to roast me but OU comes first. Here's what to know about the Sooners...

1. This team is RED HOT right now. Went undefeated in the Big 12 Tournament and won their last five weekend series.

2. Hitting can happen up and down the lineup. Peyton Graham (2nd) is the best pro product and can go yard. Blake Robertson (3rd) has had the most successful season from the plate and is very patient. I believe he's still top 10 in the nation in walks.

3. The Sooners are very aggressive on the base paths. It wasn't even April before this team bested the 2021 team in steals. Spikerman (1st) and Pettis (9th) are the fastest in the lineup, but pretty much everyone will run.

4. Jake Bennett will be the starting pitcher on Friday and he is dealing right now. Had a season high 12 strikeouts on Thursday against Texas Tech. Trevin Michael is the closer and has also been hot lately. The concern, and probably the biggest weakness right now is if Bennett can get run off the mound early. The middle relievers are really Jekyll and Hyde - though that hasn't bitten this team in the last few weeks.

Don't follow LU as closely but I'd still say this matchup makes me nervous. Any team that is facing OU right now should be equally cautious. Don't think there are many hotter teams right now. Possibly the only reason OU isn't a top 16 seed is because the host sites were announced prior to Sundays Big 12 Chamopionship win over Texas was over.
SumItUp liked this
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I hope Horn is available because our starters have been getting shelled the past couple of weeks. Same with our bullpen.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
ballah09 wrote: May 30th, 2022, 12:58 pm I hope Horn is available because our starters have been getting shelled the past couple of weeks. Same with our bullpen.
It’d be nice but I wouldn’t expect to see him. Seems like a similar situation to last year with Gibson. Freshman just overworked maybe? Anyway if you remember last year in Knoxville Gibson was MIA.
By tyndal23
aj7 wrote: May 30th, 2022, 12:35 pm I'm a Liberty grad but raised an OU fan and live in OKC. Feel free to roast me but OU comes first. Here's what to know about the Sooners...

1. This team is RED HOT right now. Went undefeated in the Big 12 Tournament and won their last five weekend series.

2. Hitting can happen up and down the lineup. Peyton Graham (2nd) is the best pro product and can go yard. Blake Robertson (3rd) has had the most successful season from the plate and is very patient. I believe he's still top 10 in the nation in walks.

3. The Sooners are very aggressive on the base paths. It wasn't even April before this team bested the 2021 team in steals. Spikerman (1st) and Pettis (9th) are the fastest in the lineup, but pretty much everyone will run.

4. Jake Bennett will be the starting pitcher on Friday and he is dealing right now. Had a season high 12 strikeouts on Thursday against Texas Tech. Trevin Michael is the closer and has also been hot lately. The concern, and probably the biggest weakness right now is if Bennett can get run off the mound early. The middle relievers are really Jekyll and Hyde - though that hasn't bitten this team in the last few weeks.

Don't follow LU as closely but I'd still say this matchup makes me nervous. Any team that is facing OU right now should be equally cautious. Don't think there are many hotter teams right now. Possibly the only reason OU isn't a top 16 seed is because the host sites were announced prior to Sundays Big 12 Chamopionship win over Texas was over.
Where are we watching the game Friday AJ ? I am in Edmond...
By aj7
tyndal23 wrote: May 30th, 2022, 1:26 pm
aj7 wrote: May 30th, 2022, 12:35 pm I'm a Liberty grad but raised an OU fan and live in OKC. Feel free to roast me but OU comes first. Here's what to know about the Sooners...

Where are we watching the game Friday AJ ? I am in Edmond...
I'm just north of Quail Springs. Come over and we can split all my work activities during the game haha.
By Veritas
The pitching in the Oklahoma game was appalling, especially the 6 run no out effort by Beamon.

On the upside, the weather has been beautiful and UF’s new stadium is incredible. Top notch production, concessions, and overall fan experience.

LUOrange liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Obviously a pretty rough day yesterday. I’m sure Jackson will have them ready for CMU today. Let’s battle back and make it to a winner take all game and just see what happens.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
CMU hasn’t even come remotely close to hitting a ball yard yet but lead 1-0 thanks to 4 walks and a HBP. Walked the lead off batter in all 3 innings.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
This is embarrassing. Sloppy bad baseball by CMU let’s us tie it but this is an embarrassing performance.
By Veritas
Well, that’s a wrap. Fluharty was brilliant through most of his time on the mound. While disappointing, I did enjoy watching the team on the big stage. Maybe next year.
Liberty_2023 liked this
By Liberty_2023
I am also disappointed, however, we made our third straight regional (1st time in school history at D1 level) which is huge. Culture and tradition continue to grow under Coach Jackson.

We return a ton of pitching next year including but not limited to Joe Adametz, Garrett Horn, Max Alba, Mason Fluharty, etc...

Excited for the future because as far as I can tell Coach Jackson loves being at Liberty, he's a great coach, & coach will be able to recruit better in the future move to Conference USA.
Veritas, flamehunter, Baybird and 1 others liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 4th, 2022, 5:44 pm Very disappointing post season. I thought this be our year to win a Regional championship.
Inconsistent. “Potential” is such a dangerous idea. Feels like this team never reached it’s potential. Fitting end.
Purple Haize, Baybird liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: June 4th, 2022, 11:05 pm Doubt all those pitchers named above will be back.
Is that just a hunch or do you have a more concrete reason to believe that?
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
So I think this season was definitely frustrating. I think most of us had pretty high expectations coming into the season which were just amplified by the 11-1 start and high ranking. As I said early in the season at no point were we the 14th best team in the country I did however think we were a top 25 team at the time...turns out we weren't. Finishing the season 26-22 after that start is really concerning but we made it to NCAA tournament for the third straight season which is huge and is hopefully helping on the recruiting trail.
Consistency was the biggest issue with the team particularly on the offensive side. I think it's no coincidence that the 11-1 start and Orndorff going nuts perfectly coincided with each other and unfortunately he was MIA for the majority of the season. We either have to recruit better on the offensive side or possibly look for a new hitting coach or maybe both but this has been going on for a few years now.
Horn's injury is certainly concerning. On the outside looking in it's eerily similar to Gibson last year and Gibson didn't seem to resemble the player he was last year at all.
Ending the season on a 3 game losing streak was brutal. In my opinion the CMU loss was the most frustrating...that was not a good baseball team. We were their only top 50 win all year. I know this team put everything into being the best baseball team possible but the last 3 games didn't show. I know they cared and wanted to win but it absolutely didn't show on the field for all 3 games.
This has been much more negative than I anticipated.

So for the positives. Three Hillier and Cam Foster were huge as freshman for us along with several pitchers. Hopefully Jalen Guy will return next year. He is elite in centerfield. Again 3 consecutive postseason trips. Team strikeout record for the pitching staff. Third consecutive appearance in the conference championship game. Shared the regular season division title.

I'm sure there are plenty more positives that are eluding me right now so chime in and let me know.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: June 6th, 2022, 8:21 am For the record, Three Hillier is a Soph. We wasted a year of his eligibility using him in a few games last season.
Gotcha. Thanks for correcting me.
LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]