This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Thanks for doing that. Good stuff.
Now if only we could get ballcoach to tap into his "sources" and do the same for softball, we'd be all set! :D
ballcoach15 liked this
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Not excited about any of the transfers, based on their stats. I know that is just part of the story, but nothing really jumps out on any of them.
ballcoach15 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
flameshaw wrote: June 25th, 2022, 7:31 am Not excited about any of the transfers, based on their stats. I know that is just part of the story, but nothing really jumps out on any of them.
Yeah, I agree. Of course it’s hard to tell what will happen with freshman, transfers, and player improvement but it’s really hard to see where we will get any offensive production next year.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Victor Castillo and Dylan Edmunds are both good jucos. Hudson and Wheatley are instant impact freshman if they make it here. Hurtzler is a guy that could take a big step forward.

Portal wise you never know but most of those guys got limited opportunity. Jenner will he a solid 300 bat with limited power kind of like another Hill. Gainey if used properly can be a good starter.

In addition Hillier and Foster can take steps forward as well.

What we need is a healthy Gibson and Horn the most. There are enough pieces offensively to put together a solid lineup. In the NIL world your not gonna get big time stud transfers that everybody is after unless you have big time NIL deals.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: June 25th, 2022, 11:21 am Victor Castillo and Dylan Edmunds are both good jucos. Hudson and Wheatley are instant impact freshman if they make it here. Hurtzler is a guy that could take a big step forward.

Portal wise you never know but most of those guys got limited opportunity. Jenner will he a solid 300 bat with limited power kind of like another Hill. Gainey if used properly can be a good starter.

In addition Hillier and Foster can take steps forward as well.

What we need is a healthy Gibson and Horn the most. There are enough pieces offensively to put together a solid lineup. In the NIL world your not gonna get big time stud transfers that everybody is after unless you have big time NIL deals.
Hopefully all of the guys you mentioned do step up and produce but I don’t think it’s good to put a lot of expectations on freshmen. We’ll be lucky if 2 of the people mentioned are good solid players. It’s not realistic to assume they’ll all be good.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but we seem to win 35 to 40 games just about every year so we must have some good players somewhere

Who had Fraser Ellard, Aaron Anderson, Trevor Delaite or Derek Orndorff as big time players when they came in yet they were all studs.

Im very confident in Castillo being a big impact guy. Jenner has 1.5 years (covid) of proving he can be a .300 hitter. If you look at Gaineys usage he was yanked around a good bit. He had good stuff when we faced him.

Wheatley and Hudson you will just have to do your research and form your own opinions but we have pretty consistently added 2 impact freshman each year and those are the 2 i would suspect most in this incoming class and both are on draft radar.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: June 25th, 2022, 8:39 pm Everyone is entitled to their own opinion but we seem to win 35 to 40 games just about every year so we must have some good players somewhere

Who had Fraser Ellard, Aaron Anderson, Trevor Delaite or Derek Orndorff as big time players when they came in yet they were all studs.

Im very confident in Castillo being a big impact guy. Jenner has 1.5 years (covid) of proving he can be a .300 hitter. If you look at Gaineys usage he was yanked around a good bit. He had good stuff when we faced him.

Wheatley and Hudson you will just have to do your research and form your own opinions but we have pretty consistently added 2 impact freshman each year and those are the 2 i would suspect most in this incoming class and both are on draft radar.
We absolutely have a lot of good players. I certainly wasn’t trying to imply we didn’t. Jackson absolutely has an eye for talent and is able to bring a good deal of it to Lynchburg but it’s no secret the vast majority of that talent is pitching. It’s great to build a team around dominate pitching but we have really struggled at times to score runs. Not just this past season but for a few years now. I know the talent is there because there are stretches of a few games at a time where we put up foolish numbers but then it vanishes quickly and has been prolonged slumps at times. It’s been a consistency issue.
Cam Foster seems like he has tons of potential to me and could possibly be a significant home run threat in the future. I also think Three could be really really good.
As far as the incoming freshmen go I don’t know anything about Wheatley and can’t seem to find anything on him. Where are you finding info in him?

I have read about Hudson and a few other commits. Perfect game has 6 commits right now and none of them are Wheatley.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
To respond to earlier question. Wheatley played for team canada u18. Pretty big deal.
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]