This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jmclaughlin
USA Today projections have us as the #2 seed in the...Knoxville regional. Ouch! Love the #2 respect but would rather be a # 4, in say the Notre Dame regional, than any seed with Tenn. Love the College Baseball postseason format and just hoping we finish strong!

https://volswire.usatoday.com/lists/col ... ojections/
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
This projection also has 2 ASUN teams. I certainly think that’s a good sign.
I’ve watched a good bit of college baseball this year. I’ve seen all the good teams from the SEC, ACC, and Big 12 play (I haven’t seen any of the top Pac 12 teams) and nobody is in the same playing field as Tennessee. They are unbelievably good. It’s Tennessee’s baseball world, we are just living in it.
The only issue I can see popping up for them is that their weekend rotation is 2 freshman and a sophomore. Maybe those freshman can hold up all year. Maybe not.
By LUOrange
So the ASUN Tourney is set and in typical fashion, all of our games as the #1 seed start at 11AM. Naturally, all of the 7PM starts go to the lower-seeded FL schools. Also Friday's Semi-final start times are dumb too. In most leagues the #1 gets all the primetime starts for TV/fan viewership. So did we choose the early games? Is this the ASUN typically sticking it to us? is this cause as Flames Central crew has said- that the FL schools cry the most? Or is it cause Gumball and crew just aren't that smart? Does it all matter since FGCU's TV/streaming capabilities suck?
Last edited by LUOrange on May 23rd, 2022, 1:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
The whole thing seems kind of odd to me. Is it just me or does it seem weird that one semifinal has both pool winners and the other has the 2nd and 3rd place teams?
I'm with you LUOrange, I'm not sure any of this matters unless FGCU drastically changed everything about their TV and streaming capabilities. I'm assuming the conference has enough sense to not let them handle things but with the ASUN that's assuming a lot...
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
I'm just hoping we can get that guy that growls after every basket.
LUOrange, jmclaughlin liked this
By Ill flame
aredd33 wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:13 am The whole thing seems kind of odd to me. Is it just me or does it seem weird that one semifinal has both pool winners and the other has the 2nd and 3rd place teams?
I'm with you LUOrange, I'm not sure any of this matters unless FGCU drastically changed everything about their TV and streaming capabilities. I'm assuming the conference has enough sense to not let them handle things but with the ASUN that's assuming a lot...
Since the asun is such a top heavy conference they put the top 4 teams in pool A and have three teams advance to maximize SOS in an attempt to improve everyone's RPI and get an extra bid for the conference. If it weren't set up this way we would probably be stuck playing teams with RPIs closer to 200 and be in a no win situation.
SumItUp liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: May 23rd, 2022, 9:13 am The whole thing seems kind of odd to me. Is it just me or does it seem weird that one semifinal has both pool winners and the other has the 2nd and 3rd place teams?
Hoping the FGCU YouTube/1 camera behind home plate/no broadcaster is rejected by ASUN commish!
LUOrange, SumItUp liked this
By jmclaughlin
From what I understand, LU’s broadcast team is doing all the games in FGCU’s ballpark.
Not sure of the camera coverage.
It is easy to be spoiled with the Flames Network. We are light years ahead of 90% of other D1 programs.
If only we could poach the growler. He could make ground balls to short sound exciting!
LUOrange liked this
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
A story I love to tell: when the SEC Netqork was in its infancy, and the majority of its membership needed help getting up to speed with their streaming and broadcast capabilities - ESPN said go watch Liberty and do what they’re doing.
LUOrange, jmclaughlin liked this
By LUOrange
jmclaughlin wrote: May 24th, 2022, 8:52 am From what I understand, LU’s broadcast team is doing all the games in FGCU’s ballpark.
Not sure of the camera coverage.
It is easy to be spoiled with the Flames Network. We are light years ahead of 90% of other D1 programs.
If only we could poach the growler. He could make ground balls to short sound exciting!
I heard that Warner & York were working the Tourney on the Flames Central Podcast this morning. Hopefully, our Video folks are at least going to coach the FGCU folks some.

As for the UNF Growler, he'd be good if it weren't for, you know. His growling. Apparently, the Softball Tourney wasn't exciting enough for him as he limited the growling. He'd be ideal for us if we ever decided to host a Monster Truck rally using remote control toy trucks.
By LUOrange
JK37 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 8:56 am A story I love to tell: when the SEC Netqork was in its infancy, and the majority of its membership needed help getting up to speed with their streaming and broadcast capabilities - ESPN said go watch Liberty and do what they’re doing.
Most of our guys are better than most of the top ESPN crews. Especially, our on-air personalities. I'd rather Warner, York, Nazigan, & Jauch call a game than any of ESPN's.
JK37 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
My ESPN+ is saying technical difficulties. Anybody else doing that?
By jmclaughlin
So we have 2 on 0 out. Our #3 guy in the lineup is bunting? Bunts into a double play. Unbelievable
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Yeah, some people choose to ignore the fact it’s proven bunting hurts your chances to score.
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
Fantastic win. I take back every negative thing I said about Jackson continuing to use Fluharty in high leverage spots :lol:
This puts us in a great spot to potentially advance.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
aredd33 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 12:13 pm Yeah, some people choose to ignore the fact it’s proven bunting hurts your chances to score.
Ecclesiastes 3:1
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
In the softball regionals tournament last week, Georgia bunted twice with 1 out and a runner on 2B. Both bunts were successful, but Georgia ended up with R3 and 2 outs. Didn't score. That was puzzling as to why give up an out with a runner in scoring position, 1 out.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 3:14 pm In the softball regionals tournament last week, Georgia bunted twice with 1 out and a runner on 2B. Both bunts were successful, but Georgia ended up with R3 and 2 outs. Didn't score. That was puzzling as to why give up an out with a runner in scoring position, 1 out.
Is UGA still playing?
ballcoach15 liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 3:14 pm In the softball regionals tournament last week, Georgia bunted twice with 1 out and a runner on 2B. Both bunts were successful, but Georgia ended up with R3 and 2 outs. Didn't score. That was puzzling as to why give up an out with a runner in scoring position, 1 out.
That's correct. You're proving my point. There are precious few outs in baseball (even fewer in softball) they should not be given away.
ballcoach15, LUOrange liked this
By aredd33
Registration Days Posts
KSU and Lipscomb are in a weather delay right now. Our 11 am starts may be an advantage the first 3 days to avoid these pop up afternoon storms.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Factors to consider before "flashing the bunt sign":

score
inning
runner
batter
on-deck batter
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Who is in the hole?
Is my bunter righty or lefty?
Whose playing 1B, 3B and C for defense?

And maybe the biggest one: HAVE WE ACTUALLY PRACTICED BUNTING?!??!!
LUOrange, Purple Haize liked this
By LUDad
aredd33 wrote: May 24th, 2022, 3:53 pm KSU and Lipscomb are in a weather delay right now. Our 11 am starts may be an advantage the first 3 days to avoid these pop up afternoon storms.
In 2nd weather delay right now. Got to effect their pitching rotation.
EDIT: KSU came back from 2nd delay and inserted one of their weekend starters. That morning game is nice :D
jmclaughlin liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

The recent statements by Costin on moving away […]

There’s a cerebral side to the game. And it&[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]