This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Does anyone know why today's game was postponed ?
By LU 57
ballcoach15 wrote: March 19th, 2021, 10:59 pm Does anyone know why today's game was postponed ?
I do not know for sure why, but we had quite a bit of rain here in Richmond. The Diamond, where VCU plays their home games, is natural grass and the outfield does not drain particularly well.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Did anyone else notice that the Lynchburg paper had no mention of this game this morning, nor did they mention softball sweeping a doubleheader yesterday.
Football and basketball aren't the only 2 sports.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 1:19 pm Did anyone else notice that the Lynchburg paper had no mention of this game this morning, nor did they mention softball sweeping a doubleheader yesterday.
Football and basketball aren't the only 2 sports.
Nobody else reads newspapers.
By LU Grad 11
Registration Days Posts
Up 5-0 in the 6th. Who's "Gary Bettis"? Haha. Anderson is really hitting well. Freshman pitcher is settling in.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 21st, 2021, 5:06 pm 6-1 Final

LU pitchers fan 17 VCU batters.
With the gaudy strikeout numbers (or so I thought) our pitchers have been racking up, I was sure we must be near the top of the NCAA stats in that category, so I looked it up. Nope. Barely making the top 50. The entire NCAA has turned into Dave Kingman.

For you young wippersnappers out there..................... Google it.

BTW, when I was a 9th grader at Arlington HS in the Chicago suburbs, Kingman was starring for our rivals, Mt. Prospect. He was actually considered to be a better ML prospect as a pitcher back then.
By LUDad
I remember back to start of game when we went for sacrifice and play by play guy was snickering about playing small ball against such an explosive team as VCU. :lol:
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:53 pm I remember back to start of game when we went for sacrifice and play by play guy was snickering about playing small ball against such an explosive team as VCU. :lol:
Well they did "explode " for three runs in two games this weekend. That's much better than the no runs and 5 hits in three games that N. Alabama got against us last weekend. :)
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
And once again the News & Advance ignored the game. Either that or they didn't know about the game. Very poor sports journalism.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
No it isn't. The paper just doesn't have the funding to cover every single Liberty sporting event. It is a dying industry and that is why you don't see coverage, especially considering the one LU beat writer was probably covering the tournament in Indy.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Any college game can be covered without a reporter in attendance, at zero cost.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Are you in the newspaper business? I know nothing about that industry, but I'd imagine there is a bit more to it than that.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I write an article for a weekly newspaper covering all LU softball games. I write the article and email it to paper. Takes very little time. Non paid gig.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 10:41 am I write an article for a weekly newspaper covering all LU softball games. I write the article and email it to paper. Takes very little time. Non paid gig.
So, have you contacted anyone at the News and Advance about doing the same for them? They may or may not be interested, but it's really apples and oranges to compare that with paying someone to do it.
Purple Haize liked this
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
olldflame wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 10:58 am
ballcoach15 wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 10:41 am I write an article for a weekly newspaper covering all LU softball games. I write the article and email it to paper. Takes very little time. Non paid gig.
So, have you contacted anyone at the News and Advance about doing the same for them? They may or may not be interested, but it's really apples and oranges to compare that with paying someone to do it.
He probably did but had too many typos :D
Or they don’t think the Gretna Bee is a good launching pad
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUDad
flamehunter wrote: March 22nd, 2021, 6:50 am
LUDad wrote: March 21st, 2021, 7:53 pm I remember back to start of game when we went for sacrifice and play by play guy was snickering about playing small ball against such an explosive team as VCU. :lol:
Well they did "explode " for three runs in two games this weekend. That's much better than the no runs and 5 hits in three games that N. Alabama got against us last weekend. :)
I was curious so I checked and up till liberty they were avg. 9.8 runs a game.
LU 57 liked this
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas b[…]

There’s a cerebral side to the game, which M[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]