This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By LUDad
So, what juniors & seniors will be back next year, knowing that they have an extra year of eligibility. I figure this gives juniors special leverage since they have an extra "junior" year to entertain offers before entering senior year.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
I would imagine any of them that want to continue playing if Coach Jackson will allow to return. It is likely that there will only be 5 rounds (not finalized yet) in this year's MLB draft. There is no one from our team that is projected in those rounds. With 10 million people added to the unemployed roles in the last 2 weeks, there may be a number of guys that would prefer to play one more year of baseball and take some classes versus entering an unknown labor market.
ballcoach15 liked this
By LUDad
SumItUp wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 8:21 pm I would imagine any of them that want to continue playing if Coach Jackson will allow to return. It is likely that there will only be 5 rounds (not finalized yet) in this year's MLB draft. There is no one from our team that is projected in those rounds. With 10 million people added to the unemployed roles in the last 2 weeks, there may be a number of guys that would prefer to play one more year of baseball and take some classes versus entering an unknown labor market.
That's a game changer, didn't know they paired down the draft. Expected to lost at least Skirow and Wagner. Keep them, the left side of infield, get 1st base back and and perhaps another big bat, things would be looking great.
By Jonathan Carone
LUDad wrote: April 3rd, 2020, 8:08 pm I figure this gives juniors special leverage since they have an extra "junior" year to entertain offers before entering senior year.
Not a huge advantage if the MLB Draft is only 5-10 rounds.

Edit - should’ve read the other posts before replying.
By daviedawg
Finally connected with a friend who is a scout and verified his interpretations of the new draft rules with articles from Passan and others. Here are the highlights:

-Draft is reduced to 5 rounds but Manfred can increase at his discretion
-Slots are the same as 2019 for the number rounds they end up with
-Max upfront bonus payments for the 20 & 21 drafts are $100K. 50% of the remaining bonus is paid on July 1st the next year, then the balance on July 1st 2 yrs later
-Undrafted players cannot get more than a $20K bonus in the 20 & 21 draft years

Also mentioned that the 21 draft may only be 20 rounds. Current college seniors may want to sign if they get they get the chance since age is always a factor in the evaluation process.
SumItUp liked this
By prototype
Registration Days Posts
Most these players don't get a full ride - imagine that some seniors won't be able to afford to come back for another year.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
MLB wants to eliminate many minor league teams. By reducing draft to 5 rounds will help them do this, in their eyes. I hope congress steps in and saves MiLB.

How many MLB players were drafted after the 5th round ?

Dumb decision by Manfred.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 10:08 am MLB wants to eliminate many minor league teams. By reducing draft to 5 rounds will help them do this, in their eyes. I hope congress steps in and saves MiLB.

How many MLB players were drafted after the 5th round ?

Dumb decision by Manfred.
Where’s the information on the Minor League teams?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 1:17 pm Google MLB plan to eliminate 42 teams.
Or... you could back up your statement with a source document instead of waiting for one of your enablers to do it
thesportscritic liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Unless someone has been in a cave (or maybe Morgantown, WV) for past 3 months or more, they should know about MLB plan to eliminate 42 teams. This is not something that just made news in past 1 or 2 days.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 1:17 pm Google MLB plan to eliminate 42 teams.
Ballcoach introducing Purple to Google. Flames Fans, it just doesn't get any better than that. :lol: :rofl :clapping
jinxy, ballcoach15 liked this
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 5th, 2020, 3:01 pm I hate to back up ballcoach, but MLB’s contracting minor league teams has been out since last fall. There’s a couple entire leagues they want to get rid of.
Agreed that is been publix knowledge for a while but some don't follow minor league baseball very closely and it would be incredibly awesome if ballcoach would post a link from time to time to back up what he says. If he did it more often then it probably wouldn't matter.
Purple Haize liked this
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 4:35 pm PH skipped computer school the day they taught search engines.

I skipped the day they taught posting links.
Come on, Ballcoach, when you were in school, they taught higher math with a slide rule. I know people younger than you who graduated high school and college before calculators were invented. :oldhag
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: April 5th, 2020, 3:34 pm
Jonathan Carone wrote: April 5th, 2020, 3:01 pm I hate to back up ballcoach, but MLB’s contracting minor league teams has been out since last fall. There’s a couple entire leagues they want to get rid of.
Agreed that is been publix knowledge for a while but some don't follow minor league baseball very closely and it would be incredibly awesome if ballcoach would post a link from time to time to back up what he says. If he did it more often then it probably wouldn't matter.
Yeah. I was trying to give him a “softball” where he could demonstrate his ability to convey information. If he could provide source material for information that we already know is accurate then it would make it easier for him to do so on other topics. Alas, he’s again showing an inability to learn and being enabled by those whose professions is theoretically dedicated to increasing the knowledge of those around them.
“Only the fool scoffs at an opportunity to gain wisdom and understanding”- unknown
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
I'd like the ASOR crew to do a write up on the spring sports and the early responses from the coaches regarding how this impacts rosters and scholarships in the coming year and beyond.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: April 5th, 2020, 7:23 pm I'd like the ASOR crew to do a write up on the spring sports and the early responses from the coaches regarding how this impacts rosters and scholarships in the coming year and beyond.
That would be great.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: April 5th, 2020, 7:16 pm When I post something, treat it as factual, unless otherwise noted.
I totally agree. Opposite but agree
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]