This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
The 1996 draft had 100 rounds. Only the Yankees and Ray's lasted past the 83rd round.

Back then, there was no limit on number of rounds. Teams just had to draft in correct order.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: June 12th, 2020, 3:34 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: June 12th, 2020, 1:57 pm

I was reading somewhere Wednesday, that one year there were 94 rounds of the draft. And it wasn't as long ago as one might think. Wish I could recall the article but I can't.
There has never been a draft that included 90+ rounds at one time. In the 70's and 80's, there were 3-4 drafts that took place throughout the year. Each draft had a different purpose. I'm not sure if there were limits on the number of rounds in each draft, but teams were not required to draft players. The primary draft was similar to today's draft. In some of the secondary drafts, there may be 20 rounds, but less than 5 rounds included each of the teams. By the time you got to round 15, there might only be one or two teams drafting a player. That is very different than the current normal (non-Covid, non-minor league team contraction) 40-round draft.
Looks as if the 1996 draft brought this thread to a halt.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I believe the frenzy has mostly passed. It appears that most signings were either seniors and lower level guys.

Id love to see a real fall season with maybe 15 games to gel all this talent.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Wow skirrow signed with phillies. Very poor decision to me. The area scout i knew felt like he would have gotten 6 figure guarantee if he came back next year.

20k is crazy if you have options.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: June 15th, 2020, 3:42 pm Wow skirrow signed with phillies. Very poor decision to me. The area scout i knew felt like he would have gotten 6 figure guarantee if he came back next year.

20k is crazy if you have options.
8 teams contacted Skirrow after the draft, but it was a phone call from the Phillies Manager and Pitching Coach that sealed the deal. The Phillies signed 8 undrafted pitchers as free agents.
Overall, at least 120 players have signed as undrafted free agents.

I still think Skirrow forfeited 200,000 to 400,000 by signing as free agent, rather than returning to Liberty for another year.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
My source was an email, that originated in Philadelphia. I don't need a link to get information.

If anyone doesn't believe me, send me your address in private message, and I'll print email and mail it to you.
Last edited by ballcoach15 on June 19th, 2020, 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 19th, 2020, 3:12 pm My source was an email, that originated in Philadelphia. I don't need a link to get information.

If anyone doesn't believe me, send me your address in private message, and I'll print email and mail it to you.
Ever heard of email forwarding?! Big new thing, no printing required! Couldn’t believe it myself.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote: June 19th, 2020, 5:13 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: June 19th, 2020, 3:12 pm My source was an email, that originated in Philadelphia. I don't need a link to get information.

Ever heard of email forwarding?! Big new thing, no printing required! Couldn’t believe it myself.
Yes, but I have to protect the identity of my source.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 21st, 2020, 8:59 am LU is getting a transfer from Florida State.
I’m sure this disgusts you. Since you feel transfers are ruining college athletics and all
thepostman liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 21st, 2020, 8:59 am LU is getting a transfer from Florida State.
From FSU website:
The 2018 Virginia Gatorade Player of the Year…rated the No. 6 third baseman in the 2018 class by Perfect Game…was the top third baseman and No. 8 overall in Virginia by Perfect Game…No. 386 on Baseball America’s top prospects list…on the mound his senior year, went 10-0 with a 1.22 earned run average…hit .488 with 37 runs batted in…led Abingdon High to a Class 3 state championship and a 21-4 record as a senior…as a senior, was named Class 3 All-State; Roanoke Times Region 3D Player of the Year; Roanoke Times first team; first team All-Virginia by USA Today; Bristol Herald-Carrier all-area team…as a sophomore and junior, earned 3A Conference 32 first team honors…committed to Florida State as a sophomore and maintained a 3.93 GPA…an avid painter and sculptor who also volunteered as a youth baseball coach…parents are Eric and Vicki Hungate…majoring in social science…born September 8, 1999.
ballcoach15 liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Saw his 19 numbers. Was he injured this past year? Mansons article said he redshirted. Would we use him both ways? Close and perritt are the only guys i know of that did that and that was under toman.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: June 21st, 2020, 1:03 pm Saw his 19 numbers. Was he injured this past year? Mansons article said he redshirted. Would we use him both ways? Close and perritt are the only guys i know of that did that and that was under toman.
He red-shirted. Don't know if it was medical or not.
By LU 57
oldflame wrote: June 21st, 2020, 1:31 pm
jinxy wrote: June 21st, 2020, 1:03 pm Saw his 19 numbers. Was he injured this past year? Mansons article said he redshirted. Would we use him both ways? Close and perritt are the only guys i know of that did that and that was under toman.
He red-shirted. Don't know if it was medical or not.
He helped out with my son’s travel team several summers ago. Really nice kid. Had a chance to visit with his dad a little as well. I did not have a ton of interaction with them, but it does seem like a really good fit to me.

Also, saw him play several times. He has a TON of upside.
ballcoach15 liked this
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Quade Tomlin from LCA has signed with Washington Nationals as undrafted free agent. Tomlin had previously signed with LU. I heard this rumor about a week ago, but had to confirm it. I had sources in 3 states working on this rumor. Today one of them came through with confirmation.
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]