This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By A Sea of Red
Posts Custom
Chippy wrote: May 6th, 2020, 8:18 pm
LUDad wrote: May 6th, 2020, 5:48 pm
A Sea of Red wrote: April 9th, 2020, 11:03 am Liberty expecting 50% of spring sport student-athlete seniors to return in 2021

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-expec ... n-in-2021/
Any feedback yet on what BB players will be coming back?
Locklear and McDyre yes. Highfill and Price no.
Yes, we talked about it here (as well as a few other sports):

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-to-gr ... r-2020-21/
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: May 15th, 2020, 8:24 am A Sea of Red covered it earlier this week.

Article can be found here:

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-addin ... -transfer/

It is interesting how many transfers we have had from Maine in several sports in recent years. Doesn't really mean anything but it is interesting to me haha.
Obviously ASOR is not one of his #sources
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thepostman wrote: May 15th, 2020, 8:24 am A Sea of Red covered it earlier this week.

Article can be found here:

https://www.aseaofred.com/liberty-addin ... -transfer/

It is interesting how many transfers we have had from Maine in several sports in recent years. Doesn't really mean anything but it is interesting to me haha.

I was thinking just this morning, looks as if we have developed a "transfer pipeline from Maine".
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I didn't see this reported but we added two transfers. Jake Wilson from BGSU and Aaron Anderson from Flager State. Wilson is a stud. MAC defensive player of the year and he hit over 300.

I'm sure more transfers will be headed our way after more cuts are announced.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: May 20th, 2020, 10:38 am With only 5 rounds of the MLB draft, and some schools dropping baseball, college baseball could actually be stronger than ever.
Not to mention all of the seniors that are able to come back for an extra season. I'm not sure who would benefit more, the top programs that lose a lot of players to the draft or the mid major schools that might recruit kids the sec schools would normally get.
ballcoach15 liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Researched all 3 adds. Very nice pieces.

Bowling green kid looks like our leadoff hitter. Good obp 300 hitter not a ton of power. Top notch defender.

The flagler kid won most improved player as an infielder and hit big time.

Maine kid, Great do it all lefty. Reminds me of jared lyons. Could be in rotation or great bullpen piece.
ballcoach15, SumItUp liked this
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Added rhp dylan cumming from chicago st. Another nice arm. Three quarters arm slot. Very reminiscent of jared and jeff weaver from a build to release.

We are going to be loaded next year with these new guys and the return of locklear and mathieu. College baseball and softball is going to be incredibly competitive in 21.
ballcoach15 liked this
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
jinxy wrote: June 7th, 2020, 8:06 pm Added rhp dylan cumming from chicago st. Another nice arm. Three quarters arm slot. Very reminiscent of jared and jeff weaver from a build to release.

We are going to be loaded next year with these new guys and the return of locklear and mathieu. College baseball and softball is going to be incredibly competitive in 21.
With Locklear coming back I wonder how that factors into Quade Tomlin's decision to come to LU or go pro. The limit of 5 rounds may make a difference. It's somewhat probable that he may be a pick in one of those rounds. https://www.newsadvance.com/sports/high ... 7f0ac.html
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Friday's Roanoke Times had the Top 10 draft hopefuls from the state. LU's Skirrow and Wagner were listed, but neither appeared high enough to go in 1 thru 5th round. Skirrow is ranked 248 and Wagner 412 by Baseball America. I don't think Tomlin gets drafted, but it's possible he could be high on some team's board.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Ive been irritated with mlb. Does skirrow have a shot at being selected. Losing him and tomlin would hurt.

Unless your a first or 2nd rder this year i cant imagine signing right now. Especially if the season doesnt happen at all. Money will be way down.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 7th, 2020, 8:37 pm Friday's Roanoke Times had the Top 10 draft hopefuls from the state. LU's Skirrow and Wagner were listed, but neither appeared high enough to go in 1 thru 5th round. Skirrow is ranked 248 and Wagner 412 by Baseball America. I don't think Tomlin gets drafted, but it's possible he could be high on some team's board.
I wa basing my concern about going in the 1st 5 rounds based on this article. Looks like he may be the top HS prospect in Virginia. https://www.prospectslive.com/mlb-draft ... d-atlantic

Just a few years ago we lost a top HS recruit from Pittsburgh (Kiriloff) who went in the first round.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
MLB having only 5 rounds is a joke. But it will help college baseball in 2021 season. A lot of juniors and seniors will be returning and some good high school players that normally would be drafted, will now go to college.
Hopefully MLB will return to 40 rounds next year
Ill flame liked this
By Ill flame
ballcoach15 wrote: June 7th, 2020, 9:48 pm MLB having only 5 rounds is a joke. But it will help college baseball in 2021 season. A lot of juniors and seniors will be returning and some good high school players that normally would be drafted, will now go to college.
I think the draft will be permanently reduced after the 2021 CBA. 40 rounds is too many anyway and there will be less need for so many rounds if there are less minor league teams. I would still be surprised to see less than 30 rounds though. 5 is completely ridiculous.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Ill flame wrote: June 7th, 2020, 9:51 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: June 7th, 2020, 9:48 pm MLB having only 5 rounds is a joke. But it will help college baseball in 2021 season. A lot of juniors and seniors will be returning and some good high school players that normally would be drafted, will now go to college.
I think the draft will be permanently reduced after the 2021 CBA. 40 rounds is too many anyway and there will be less need for so many rounds if there are less minor league teams. I would still be surprised to see less than 30 rounds though. 5 is completely ridiculous.
I was reading somewhere Wednesday, that one year there were 94 rounds of the draft. And it wasn't as long ago as one might think. Wish I could recall the article but I can't.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote: June 12th, 2020, 1:57 pm

I was reading somewhere Wednesday, that one year there were 94 rounds of the draft. And it wasn't as long ago as one might think. Wish I could recall the article but I can't.
There has never been a draft that included 90+ rounds at one time. In the 70's and 80's, there were 3-4 drafts that took place throughout the year. Each draft had a different purpose. I'm not sure if there were limits on the number of rounds in each draft, but teams were not required to draft players. The primary draft was similar to today's draft. In some of the secondary drafts, there may be 20 rounds, but less than 5 rounds included each of the teams. By the time you got to round 15, there might only be one or two teams drafting a player. That is very different than the current normal (non-Covid, non-minor league team contraction) 40-round draft.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote: June 12th, 2020, 3:34 pm
ballcoach15 wrote: June 12th, 2020, 1:57 pm

There has never been a draft that included 90+ rounds at one time. In the 70's and 80's, there were 3-4 drafts that took place throughout the year. Each draft had a different purpose. I'm not sure if there were limits on the number of rounds in each draft, but teams were not required to draft players. The primary draft was similar to today's draft. In some of the secondary drafts, there may be 20 rounds, but less than 5 rounds included each of the teams. By the time you got to round 15, there might only be one or two teams drafting a player. That is very different than the current normal (non-Covid, non-minor league team contraction) 40-round draft.
Correct. In 1970 I went to a California Angels tryout. There were probably 200-250 guys there. Afterwards, they pulled 4 of us off to the side and talked with us about signing. No draft that I remember back then. We were free to sign right then. But I was going through an awful lot personal "stuff" back then. I believe I could have made it as a catcher, but they wanted me to pitch. I wish I had a do over. 20/20 hindsight is always pretty good. 8)
Dondi Costin - LU President

Ive gone there a few times since moving to texas[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Duke Gonzaga B12? https://larrybrownsports.com/co[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]

Another player that most people who post on here[…]