This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Embry has a chance to make it to the show if he signs with Tampa Bay I do think. Brabrand has a decent chance in Miami as well. McInvale would have a bit of an uphill climb in Toronto but I think he could be as well
Tampa has a heck of a farm system too. It would be great for him to get into that kind of system.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Actually agree with jk. You know tampa wont pay you. If rather go to a franchise that will develop and pay you. If you have a choice that is.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Yeah, and what has that farm system done for Tampa?
Consistantly performing at a high level without having much of a payroll.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
And they are tied for the AL East currently with a lot of their roster made up of homegrown players
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
My guess is he is talking about the attendance problems that continue to be an issue. That is what the national media focuses on. It is terrible but the TV ratings are very good. The location of the stadium is terrible. I believe something like 70% of the region live at least 45 minutes away. It's not a great place to watch baseball so people choose to stay home and watch on TV. Also, the ownership group hasn't exactly endeared themselves to the local area which is a huge problem.

Even with all of those issue, they still have one of the best farm systems which is pretty darn impressive.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I like teams with homegrown players, more than those teams that can't develop players and have to buy them. I hate free agency.
By Class of 20Something
ballcoach15 wrote:I like teams with homegrown players, more than those teams that can't develop players and have to buy them. I hate free agency.
What you hate is capitalism. I have no problem with players seeking out big paydays. Careers are short and they have an elite level talent they can cash in on.

If I'm ever in the top half of a percent of performers in my field; you better believe that I am going to be paid like it. I hope my current company would be where that happens but that is up to them.

I see a failure of teams in selling familiarity of city, work, and expectations versus an unknown. People are resistant to change. It surprises me how much athetes move.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Class of 20Something wrote:
ballcoach15 wrote:I like teams with homegrown players, more than those teams that can't develop players and have to buy them. I hate free agency.
What you hate is capitalism. I have no problem with players seeking out big paydays. Careers are short and they have an elite level talent they can cash in on.

If I'm ever in the top half of a percent of performers in my field; you better believe that I am going to be paid like it. I hope my current company would be where that happens but that is up to them.

I see a failure of teams in selling familiarity of city, work, and expectations versus an unknown. People are resistant to change. It surprises me how much athetes move.
He’s already established his liberal bona fides
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
with no surprise Embry is gone. Officially signed.

[tweet]
[/tweet]

Marlines signed Brabrand for 1k

[tweet]
[/tweet]

And according to the Blue Jays transaction, McIanve signed as well.
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:McInvale was offered more this year than he would’ve gotten next year. It was the right move for him.
Agreed.

I couldn't find anything on Gordon so I assume he hasn't signed.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
How accurate are these pick values? Are our guys signing for less than their pick spot is normally worth? Can someone who knows more about this than I please explain it?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I had heard mcinvale was gone no matter what they offered. Probably didnt want another year and injury risk. Embrys is pretty low if im not mistaken.

I watched some of gordons video. Yeah we need him. To me he looks future ace potential. Think jon lester type delivery and curve with low 90s fastball from left side.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:How accurate are these pick values? Are our guys signing for less than their pick spot is normally worth? Can someone who knows more about this than I please explain it?
Ballcoach, can you check with your sources and get back to us?
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
A lower round draft pick normally doesn't get a pile of money to sign, unless he has some leverage. There can be an exception if a team really wants a player.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:How accurate are these pick values? Are our guys signing for less than their pick spot is normally worth? Can someone who knows more about this than I please explain it?
Each team has a Bonus Pool allotment that they can spend on picks in the first 10 rounds without penalty. When you view the suggested slot value numbers, it gives you an idea of what each spot could be worth. If a team goes above their Bonus Pool money, they are penalized heavily. Penalties start at 75% of the bonus overage plus potential loss of future picks. For example, if a team has a Bonus Pool of $10 million and they spend $12 million, they would receive a $2 million penalty plus lose two future 1st round picks. Players drafted after the first ten rounds can be compensated up to $125,000 without affecting the Bonus Pool. If a bonus exceeds $125,000 for a player drafted after the 10th round, it counts against the team's Bonus Pool. Sometimes a team will select a player in the late rounds that is not expected to sign professionally without a larger bonus. If that team is unable to sign some of the players in the first 10 rounds and have excess Bonus Pool money, they can take a shot at that player. Al Leiter's son is an example of that from this year's draft. He was drafted somewhere in the 15th-20th round because he intends to pitch at Vanderbilt. If he wanted to go pro and the front offices were confident he would sign, he would have been drafted in the first 5-15 picks of the draft.

Scouts are in contact with the players before the draft and bonus numbers are discussed. There are not many surprises. Most teams expect to sign all of the players in the first 10 rounds within their Bonus Pool allotment and know how much it will take to get it done with each player. Many players signed outside the first 10 rounds are going to sign below slot value. VERY FEW players (generally, less than 20) each year have life changing money.

Being a professional baseball player is a status is highly respected and deservedly so for those that have refined their skill set to continue to play the game. Unless a player reaches AAA, however, the wages are not sufficient for living. Players do it for the love of the game and the shot at playing in the big leagues. I expect in the next collective bargaining agreement to see more concessions for minor league players and draft compensation.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
Quade Tomlin, 2020 commit from LCA, named POY in DIstrict 4. Obviously the best player on the LCA team not to take anything away from the 3 we have coming in the fall. May have to hold our breath next year with MLB draft. Hopefully his dad/coach/former LU/former Pirate pitcher can convince him to attend.
By flamehunter
Registration Days Posts
Chippy wrote:Quade Tomlin, 2020 commit from LCA, named POY in DIstrict 4. Obviously the best player on the LCA team not to take anything away from the 3 we have coming in the fall. May have to hold our breath next year with MLB draft. Hopefully his dad/coach/former LU/former Pirate pitcher can convince him to attend.
That should be Class 4 - statewide.
NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]

LaTech

Liberty 2 LaTech 0. Yoder pitched 1 hitter with 8 […]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

We are on!!! Hope to see everyone tonight at 9:30[…]