This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jweaks
What a game! So proud of our young men! The future looks bright.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:Should have pinch hit for Locklear in 9th inning.
Ballcoach, did you watch the game? The announcers said everyone we had on the bench was batting under .200.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
With whom?!

Only terrible assistant coaches present problems without solutions.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
theres nobody. Mcydre heid karraker baughman. Those were your options. Bad.

Def an area that we need to improve. We had 8 guys that could hit d1 pitching above 220.

We just need more options next year. Baughman looks like he could have some potential. Karraker and heid are gone and mcdyre has done next to nothing since frosh year. Highfill has had 250 collegiate at bats now and is hitting about 210 for his career. Good fielder and bunter. Nothing else there.

So take out embry and galazin and you have 3 holes to fill plus some bench depth.
Last edited by jinxy on June 2nd, 2019, 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:
With whom?!

Only terrible assistant coaches present problems without solutions.
Be honest though, he’s an amazing Monday Morning Quarterback. Not to mention a great Coach After the Fact
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
Locklear wasn't having a great tournament, Ballcoach, but he batted .263 for the season.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:This can be debated until Christ returns.

But result was 1-2-3 DP
Except no one is debating. The question has been asked. Who would you have hit in his place?

#fauxcoach
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts

But result was 1-2-3 DP
That’s the thing. You don’t debate. You just make unsubstantiated claims.
You say someone should have hit for him. You’ve been asked twice, now a third time : Who?
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:

But result was 1-2-3 DP
Except no one is debating. The question has been asked. Who would you have hit in his place?

#fauxcoach
#fraudcoach
By JK37
Registration Days Posts

But result was 1-2-3 DP
Exactly. All of us real minds are debating the decision.

You, sir, are coaching the result.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
How are we looking with incoming talent for fall ball?
By LUDad
JK37 wrote:

But result was 1-2-3 DP
YExactly. All of us real minds are debating the decision.

You, sir, are coaching the result.
In hind sight, a suicide squeeze was about only other option. And that would be seconded guessed till the cows come home if it didn't work.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
Me and a buddy watching talked about bunting. But infield was in. “All we have to do is hit a fly ball,” we said. Easier said than done, I know.
By LUOrange
I was more upset with Locklear's throwing error than his at-bat. But it happens. As far as pinch hitting for him, I like that Jackson has danced with the ones that brought him, and Locklear wasn't the only one who was slumping in the Regional. Heck, I wasn't expecting UNC to tag Riley the way they did.

Bottom line, baseball and the rest of LU sports had an awesome year. Hopefully next year we dominate the ASUN again. I'll ask it again, does anyone know how our recruiting and redshirts look for next year in baseball?
By ballah09
Registration Days Posts
I realized no one on the bench can hit but Locklear didn’t get a ball out of the infield the whole series and I think half his outs were inning ending DP. I knew the out come when he was up. I thought maybe someone on the bench can hit a fly ball. The percentage was higher but yeah well I’m not a coach.

As for next year, we have a couple studs coming in that can hit. Mummau (sp?) committed to liberty since his sophomore year, very good hitter and even better fielder. I’ve heard Matt Williams comparisons with him.

Good arms too, with a couple pitchers that topped in the mid 90’s according to perfect game.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
LUOrange wrote:I was more upset with Locklear's throwing error than his at-bat. But it happens. As far as pinch hitting for him, I like that Jackson has danced with the ones that brought him, and Locklear wasn't the only one who was slumping in the Regional. Heck, I wasn't expecting UNC to tag Riley the way they did.

Bottom line, baseball and the rest of LU sports had an awesome year. Hopefully next year we dominate the ASUN again. I'll ask it again, does anyone know how our recruiting and redshirts look for next year in baseball?
ASOR seems to have links for football and basketball but none for baseball. It would be nice to see some names!
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
If my memory is correct, LU doesn't release any info on incoming recruiting classes for baseball. A roster isn't even posted until just prior to season starting.
By Cider Jim
Registration Days Posts
JK37 wrote:Me and a buddy watching talked about bunting. But infield was in. w.
The infield was in with no outs and bases loaded, but I thought that the anouncers said the infield went to double play depth once they got the one out at first base, so a squeeze bunt might have worked. Did we have a better bunter on the bench?
By Jonathan Carone
Corners were still in, so you'd have to push/drag the bunt past the pitcher on the side opposite of where he was falling from. That's a very specific thing to try to do.
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
Cider Jim wrote:
JK37 wrote:Me and a buddy watching talked about bunting. But infield was in. w.
The infield was in with no outs and bases loaded, but I thought that the anouncers said the infield went to double play depth once they got the one out at first base, so a squeeze bunt might have worked. Did we have a better bunter on the bench?
Try saying that 10 times fast
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:If my memory is correct, LU doesn't release any info on incoming recruiting classes for baseball. A roster isn't even posted until just prior to season starting.
All I know is we have 3 from LCA - LHP (Gordon), RHP/OF (Johnson) and INF (Collins).
By LUDad
ballah09 wrote:I realized no one on the bench can hit but Locklear didn’t get a ball out of the infield the whole series and I think half his outs were inning ending DP. I knew the out come when he was up. I thought maybe someone on the bench can hit a fly ball. The percentage was higher but yeah well I’m not a coach.

As for next year, we have a couple studs coming in that can hit. Mummau (sp?) committed to liberty since his sophomore year, very good hitter and even better fielder. I’ve heard Matt Williams comparisons with him.

Good arms too, with a couple pitchers that topped in the mid 90’s according to perfect game.
How do we order two more Mason Myers?

If I understand this correctly, starting July 1st,[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

That might be the dumbest thing I've ever seen per[…]

North Carolina

We had a runner on base in the bottom of the 7th i[…]

2024 Recruiting Discussion

I saw 3 of our prospects at Convo this morning. Ji[…]