This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
I have hated our pitcher usage pretty much all the way around tonight. This feels like jim toman managing. Trying to get 2 out of brabrand tonight was asking a ton. Liked having him fresh tom with his best stuff.

Hope it works out. Either way the pitching advantage we had over the rest is gone after multi days from evan and multi high stress innings from price and riley.

These tourney games cause coaches to tighten up so much its crazy.
Last edited by jinxy on May 24th, 2019, 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
By Chippy
Registration Days Posts
LUDad wrote:I think that there is a huge stat that LU has about winning when holding lead after 7th inning. Cannot recall exactly what it is but its impressive.
I believe I heard it was 31-0.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
That stat is called evan brabrand. Stuff looks better in 9th but still not quite as explosive as normal.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Until his arm falls off. This is jim toman garret quinn managing here. Its going to cost us more than just this game.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Jonathan Carone wrote:I don’t understand our pitch calling. It feels very Quinn-ish.
At least 2 moves Jackson made in this game unnecessarily put players in unfamiliar/uncomfortable situations. Flip-flopping the catcher and corner outfielders was a total :dontgetit Embry is a very good right fielder when he is playing there on any kind of a regular basis, but he has been almost exclusively behind the plate for weeks. If there was some legit unknown reason to do it, then how do you explain changing everyone back to their regular positions late in the game? I've gotta believe if Rohrer is in RF he makes the catch on the foul ball Embry dropped and the inning is over, saving a run which could well have cost us the game. It's 20/20 hindsight of course, but going to Brabrand to start the 8th with Riley pitching well was obviously a mistake. Forget the fact that he didn't throw many pitches the day before. The guy has not pitched on back to back days at least since high school, if then. Pulling Ademetz so early to go with Price, who has had like 1 good outing in the last month, was another :dontgetit .
By LUDad
In a deep hole. Not impossible. Best NCAA we ever had was when we had to come out of losers bracket and beat both Campbell & beach chicks on Sat. We need to get one or two really good 80-85 mph junk pitchers to have change of pace. Lots of good fast ball hitters in Asun.
By TH Spangler
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
Jonathan Carone wrote:At least 2 moves Jackson made in this game unnecessarily put players in unfamiliar/uncomfortable situations. Flip-flopping the catcher and corner outfielders was a total :dontgetit
That move was a real head scratcher? Cost us the game?
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Staff has completely over managed the tourney. Stacking all the lh hitters is head scratching. they would say they kod depperman because of it. I would say weve had 10 relievers match is us up because of it and we could have scored more.
Oldflame mentioned another head scratcher.

Complete mismanagement of pitching last night. Pretty much disagreed with every move other than price to riley. If riley was spent i would have used a fresh barker who has great offspeed stuff if were going to call pitches the we did late.

Saying there are good fastball hitters in the league is weird to me. 9 of 10 hitters are better fastball hitters. Use what got us here and each pitchers strength. Barker and maybe meyer are the only 2 of our guys that the fastball isnt the best pitch. We just kept walking guys with price and brabrand because we went 75 25 offspeed to fastball.

Solid season but man have we melted down when it mattered most.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I haven't followed baseball as much as in years past. But I thought Riley should have gone at least 1 more inning. Bringing Braband back was probably a good move, in that he only threw 25 pitches Thursday. This was a game that we had to make moves necessary to win and stay in winner's bracket.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
You had ONE job and had a spot on Saturday gift-wrapped for you yesterday...

Now we have to win 4 games in two days for a spot in the tournament with a lightly used pitcher having to start at least one one those 4 games (because of Skirrow's raging inconsistency)...excuse me while I buy a case of Mountain Dew to drown my frustrations and some Pepto Bismol...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Stetson and Jacksonville in a 1-1 pitchers duel in the 6th. Every team not named Stetson is pulling for the Dolphins in this one. If Stetson wins, they are in the final and would have 2 shots to win 1 for the championship. If they lose, the playing field is pretty much leveled out.
By flameshaw
Registration Days Posts
Some real questionable coaching calls. Embry in right field is the biggest one to me. Bringing in Braband wasn't really that bad of a move when it was made, but he stayed in too long. Had a hard time getting his fastball over, so he had to go to his curve ball a lot, which puts a ton of pressure on an arm and tires you out much faster.
Don't understand pitching the left-hand hitter, who scored their 7th run, inside the whole at bat and then playing the 2nd baseman up the middle.
Don't know much about the guy who was our DH, but he was hitting in the low 200's with one home run all year. Is that the best we had?
Didn't watch the whole game, but that was a few of my observations. As LU Dad said, we have come out of the losers bracket before, but won't be easy. JU looks to have a pretty solid lineup from an offensive perspective.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
This tournament has really had some compelling stuff. Stetson and J'ville still 1-1 in the 13th. Best case scenario for us is it goes 20 and the Dolphins win.
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
Well, if anyone but Stetson is going to win this thing, they are going to have to do it the HARD way. With the score tied 1-1 and neither team having scored since the top of the 3rd, the Hatters broke loose for 5 runs in the top of the 16th to win it 6-1 and advance to the final, where someone is going to have to beat them twice in a row on their home field. The only bright spot for the rest of the field is that the 2 pitchers who put together this masterpiece for Stetson, Gonzalez and Garcia, are likely not going to be available the rest of the way, having thrown 211 pitches between them.
By tyndal23
That was agonizingly fun to watch. ( game on in background while winning an online hold em tourney ) Pretty quick 12 inning game with the pitching. As for last night - tuned out and went to bed when we went up 6-5 - dang cant believe we lost that one. Keep grinding boys - this tourney is up for grabs - don’t think I have ever casually seen one like it - and I mean casually because I am not a baseball expert like Ballcoadh is on all subjects - but every game is a fiasco with all the tired pitchers - then this one looked like a pitching gem. And yes I missed Stetson game which sounded like great pitching as well...
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
We stay alive by beating N Florida 3-2 in 12. Will Wagner drives in the winning run on a sac fly. Dr. Jekyl Noah Skirrow gets the win with 4.1 innings of shutout ball, giving up just 1 hit and striking out 5. Elimination game against J'ville has been moved to tomorrow morning at 11. It will be interesting to see who starts for us.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Meyer looked great. Would have loved to have seen him the night before. Skirrow was down in the zone and had a great run.

I would think adametz would come back and try to go 4 or 5. Still have barker and cole garret that have not been used and i would think price and riley should be good for an inning or so.

I missed the schedule update. If the winner between us and jacksonville happens to beat stetson is the rematch tom or did they bump it back. Also is it 7 innings?
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
I was listening to Nick on the radio and he said the game against Jacksonville is at 11am tomorrow and the winner plays Stetson at 3pm. If Stetson loses the game tomorrow, there will be a final championship game on Sunday at a time to be determined.

If the new players picks up on the pack line defen[…]

Longwood

Liberty wins 9-3. Roupe 2 homers, 4 RBI. Jesse hom[…]

FlameFans Fantasy Baseball

Aaron Judge is killing me right now. 6 starte[…]

Just remember that fine academic institution, Loui[…]