This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Big day for LU sports tomorrow.Tar Heels bring their Top 10 ranking to LU . This could be first time 2 top 10 teams come to LU on same day. Tennessee softball also at LU tomorrow.
Since basketball doesn't play until Friday, everyone needs to come out and support baseball at 3:30 and softball at 5:00. Should be big crowd for both games.
By SumItUp
Registration Days Posts
UNC is a good team, but they are not currently ranked in the top 10. Coaches poll has them at #13 and D1 Baseball has them at #16.
By jweaks
I'll be there. With a parka and a blanket. Not baseball weather.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
It is mid-march, it isn't even spring yet. College baseball/softball just starts so early. The nature of the beast I suppose.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I have heard that college baseball and softball starts in February so as to not give southern teams more of an advantage than they already have, come tournament time.
I have been to 18 softball games and 5 or 6 baseball games this season, and I worn winter clothes to all of them. No game was completely comfortable.
By thepostman
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:I have heard that college baseball and softball starts in February so as to not give southern teams more of an advantage than they already have, come tournament time.
I have been to 18 softball games and 5 or 6 baseball games this season, and I worn winter clothes to all of them. No game was completely comfortable.
I get why it starts when it does. My statement was made mainly due to your comment about wondering if Lynchburg would ever get "baseball weather". I am not sure what you expect in Feb/Early March
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
No expectations at all for the weather during baseball/softball season. I just dream of the day temperature is in the 80s, with no wind, or threat of rain.
By Dalegarz1
Ballcoach wrote: I have heard that college baseball and softball starts in February so as to not give southern teams more of an advantage than they already have, come tournament time.

I coached softball for several years at the college level. (You think the weather is cold in VA, try playing in NJ this time of year). The sole reason for starting in February is because the Spring semester ends in early May. Contrast this with high schools (in NJ) which don't get out until late June.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
I don't see how Northern teams survive. I heard a comment on LU baseball broadcast Sunday, that Hofstra had not had their home opener yet. I attended a coaches clinic a few years back. The Maryland coach said that they play 20 games each year before they set foot on their field.
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
Good guys win 2-0.

Meyer and Brabrand combine for the shutout allowing 7 hits but striking out 8
(Darn fat thumbs)
Last edited by BJWilliams on March 19th, 2019, 7:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
By tyndal23
Nice to see a decent crowd - Softball game has a big attendance - is it the weather or the caliber of opponents ( or both )?
By olldflame
Registration Days Posts
BJWilliams wrote:Good guys win 2-0.

Meyer and Brabrand combine for the shutout allowing 7 hots but striking out 8
Both runs came on a HR by Embry. We only had 2 hits. No hots.
By jbock13
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:No expectations at all for the weather during baseball/softball season. I just dream of the day temperature is in the 80s, with no wind, or threat of rain.
Lynchburg ain’t the place for you then! :lol:
By BJWilliams
Registration Days Posts
oldflame wrote:
BJWilliams wrote:Good guys win 2-0.

Meyer and Brabrand combine for the shutout allowing 7 hots but striking out 8
Both runs came on a HR by Embry. We only had 2 hits. No hots.
Darn thumbs...spelling corrected
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
tyndal23 wrote:Nice to see a decent crowd - Softball game has a big attendance - is it the weather or the caliber of opponents ( or both )?

I think attendance was mostly the opponents. But weather was better than most days this season.

We are 4-0 vs ACC.
By jinxy
Registration Days Posts
Bats were very quiet but embry had the big hit. Could have had 2 but wind was mysteriously calm and the ball died on the track. Great pitching from meyer and braband. Meyer has faced usc wf vt uva and unc. 2 dominant starts against wake and unc.

Keep hoping the bats will wake up. Hofstra loss sunday really hurt rpi. This should help.
By LUDad
Who would have thought that 20 games into the baseball season that the asun would only be one slot above the big south in rpi. I was hoping the asun could get 3 bids this year. We might only get the auto bid the way things are going.
By flamesfilmguy
Registration Days Posts
Stetson, FGCU, Kennesaw and Jacksonville are all having down years. Stetson is especially bad after losing several guys to graduation and the draft. North Florida and Liberty are carrying the torch for the Asun this year.
By jweaks
That was a SOLID win. Getting out of the bases loaded jam was the key. Pitching was excellent.
By jweaks
flameshaw wrote:Anytime you beat The Tarholes, it is a good day. 8)
Amen!
By alabama24
Registration Days Posts
SumItUp wrote:UNC is a good team, but they are not currently ranked in the top 10. Coaches poll has them at #13 and D1 Baseball has them at #16.
The radio and tv announcers (same crew?) had them at #8. Any idea where that came from?

SMU is ranked 89th in USNWR which is pretty worthl[…]

Election 2022 and 2024

Half of the ads are about how Bob Good is tough on[…]

G5 Playoff Only

I would be OK with the top 2 G5 conference champio[…]

Some statistics

Of our 6 returning starters, only Roupe is hitting[…]