This forum is pure hardball. Bring the heat in this discussion of Flames baseball.

Moderators: jcmanson, Sly Fox, BuryYourDuke

By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
You guys and your small balls
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
thesportscritic wrote:Answer the question ballcoach.
Men's BB/Women's BB

shot clock
size of the basketball

Baseball/Softball

Play on different fields (basepaths, distance from rubber to plate, outfield fences are all different)
baseball base runners can get a lead, softball has to wait until ball leaves pitcher's hand
softball dirt infield, baseball grass
softball pitchers throw with windmill motion, baseball over handed
no slap hitters in baseball
softball teams play more "short ball", i.e. bunt, steal, hit n run
no "run rule" in baseball, 8 runs after 5 innings in softball
softball is a much faster paced game

These are the differences that come to mind immediately. There are probably a few more.
By JK37
Registration Days Posts
BC, your reasons #5, #6 and #8 are akin to differences that exist between men’s basketball and women’s basketball. While the games are very similar, there are several ways in which they are simply played differently.

That was my point. You say, “basketball is basketball”. But you surely know even among softball teams, some teams play a different style than others. So even softball isn’t always the same softball among all teams. So I believe you are capable of understanding that the way men play basketball and the way women play basketball are very different. Personally, I believe it helps one to enjoy women’s basketball much more by not considering it “women playing men’s basketball” - as many do. But rather consider it an entirely different sport. That is my point.

PS - they play with the same shot clock now. That would help your point.
By ballcoach15
Registration Days Posts
Actually, the major difference between men and women's game is the dunks in men's game. Not counting talent level, it's basically the same sport.
About 3 years ago I went to East Carolina to watch the UConn women's team play ECU. It was a DH, with ECU playing Tulane in men's game, prior to the women playing. UConn was by far the most exciting team on the court in Greenville that night.
UConn had a 35 point lead at halftime, and Coach Geno said it was their "worst half of the season."
By Purple Haize
Registration Days Posts
ballcoach15 wrote:
thesportscritic wrote:Answer the question ballcoach.
Men's BB/Women's BB

shot clock
size of the basketball

Baseball/Softball

Play on different fields (basepaths, distance from rubber to plate, outfield fences are all different)
baseball base runners can get a lead, softball has to wait until ball leaves pitcher's hand
softball dirt infield, baseball grass
softball pitchers throw with windmill motion, baseball over handed
no slap hitters in baseball
softball teams play more "short ball", i.e. bunt, steal, hit n run
no "run rule" in baseball, 8 runs after 5 innings in softball
softball is a much faster paced game

These are the differences that come to mind immediately. There are probably a few more.
At least you are admitting you don’t know much about basketball
LaTech

Looks like we'll have to win with pitching cause t[…]

JMU for 6 games

The fact of the matter is, JMU and Liberty could n[…]

NCAA Realignment Megathread

Honestly, the ACC should've taken Wazzu and Oregon[…]

Dondi Costin - LU President

HEB is alright, but honestly Trader Joe's is my fa[…]